Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor Home Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Cybertruck will most likely not fit in many of our garages, we will probably need to charge them in the driveway. Is anyone here currently set up with an outdoor charger at home? If yes, what has your experience been? My concern is the exposure to the elements.

Or you can cheat like I do and run the cord under the garage door, protect it with a piece of wood so the door doesn't crush the cord. It does mean you get leaves blowing in the gap. My cord is 24 feet so I still have LOTS of extra indoors when I back my Tesla up to the door. If my garage isn't full I will often pull in to charge so it's nice to have the choice. I have an odd 3 car deep garage. Lots of car shuffling in my days.

Nearly all the "Tesla Destination Chargers" are outdoors fully exposed. I've used a few in parking garages, but most are in parking lots at hotels and such. I think the oldest ones I've used were installed in 2014 and worked fine even with the handles beat up pretty bad from misuse and abuse.

Outside installation of the wall charger here in Florida in direct sun (since April of 2019 so ~2.5y). I’ve had some torrential tropical downpours and hot 100 degree sun in that time with no issues. Some say to unplug the car while it’s raining but I’ve never had an issue. Also, I’m not sure I’d recommend the mobile charger as primary outside. It’s “weatherproof” but can’t be sitting in the water.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I guess one thing to keep in mind is that the truck is like 19 feet long.
Most full/1500 size trucks are that big. I’ve hit the little dangly warning things entering parking garages with a stock ride height 1500 as well, not even off-road package truck, just normal truck. People who are thinking of trading an S or Y or whatever for a Cybertruck to be cool on your commute: if you never owned a truck, suggest you go rent a full size F150 and drive it for a week. See if it fits where you want it to. Even if it technically fits that extra couple feet of length and foot of width is huge in a tight space you would think nothing of in a Y. 0-60 in 4 seconds is meaningless as you are scraping a cement post to avoid hitting the bmw that parked in tight against you at work.

If the Model 3 is any example the Test Drives will come maybe a year after deliveries start. They may be bugging you and you may be excited to complete your order LONG before they have one to test at your local service center.

I am excited to have the cT, the extra width and height just mean easier for us to get in. I actually drove a Dodge Sprinter all the time for years as I fit so easily in it, sat up so high in traffic. Sadly I think I am giving it up to get the cT, despite all the good times we have had I really haven't been it in since getting the TM3 almost 4 years ago.