Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but before the software update to the latest power, his car wasn't making use of the new hardware.

And 300 lbs can make a 0.2 second difference in 1/4 mile time.

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that a 6% increase in weight can cause a 2% increase in elapsed time.

you don't know that for sure.

Seeing as how St Charles only beat the prior best of 11.22 by .07 seconds with his 11.15, what reason is there to believe otherwise?

"The net result is that we can safely increase the max pack output from 1300 to 1500 Amps.

What this results in is a 10% improvement in the 0 to 60 mph time to 2.8 secs and a quarter mile time of 10.9 secs. Time to 155 mph is improved even more, resulting in a 20% reduction."

The new P90DLs are pulling 1600amps though aren't they? Isn't 1600amps required for a 10.8/10.9?

The original P90DLs can never achieve 10.9 without getting a swap to a 'new' battery. And even then, we don't know if any internal wiring in the car was upgraded to allow for the higher amperage. Might explain why some of the newer batteries are only usable in newer P90DLs.

Once again, early adopters have gotten screwed. Tesla are very naive if they think that this isn't getting back to potential buyers who are waiting for the bugs to get ironed out.

What about potential buyers who aren't waiting for the bugs to get ironed out and who will buy anyway? What you referred to as the "early adopters".

I've been on a lot of product oriented fora, and one thing that I have noticed, is that there never seems to be a shortage of "early adopters", and especially when it's a whiz bang product with panache, they almost always outnumber the "potential buyers who are waiting for the bugs to get ironed out."

I doubt this comes back to bite Tesla at all. And it doesn't seem that they are concerned about it biting them at all either.

And really why should they.

Hell, when you can still sell a $5,000.00 Ludicrous upgrade to somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of the loudest squakers in here who were arguing over the horsepower matter, then why worry?

On the plus side I am very happy that Tesla have finally delivered a car up to spec and more importantly an improved battery with higher amperage and less voltage sag. It gives me great hope that we will see amazing things next year when the 21700 batteries get integrated.

Optimism and enthusiasm are definitely welcome sights in here and it is a pleasure to see yours.

However if the part in bold is your position, and taking it into context with the remainder of your post, it would seem that you are calling the statement a lie.

And it's interesting your exuberance towards a company which you seem to believe told a lie regarding the 10.9 second quarter mile performance figure.

I've come to look at this matter much in the same way that Bill Clinton's supporters looked at him after he got caught in the several lies he told.

"Yeah, we know he lied. In fact, was a serial bold faced liar. But we still love him and we will give him a pass."

A similar approach seems to apply with this matter. "Yeah, we think Elon and Tesla definitely lied about the 10.9. But we still love them both and we will complain mightily about it, if for no other reason than just to vent, but not really to have anything come of it. And we will still give them a pass, and attempt to justify it claiming that it was a gray area."

Last edited:
you don't know this, you don't have raw data, or the correction factor.

Correct according the SAE J1349 standard for EVs. That would be fine. The correction is very minimal if it was anything. That's what MT did. You cant just make up the correction factor. Those who actually read the MT article on their testing methodology would see that.

MT aren't the outlier. A 4600 pound p90d is the outlier. Most people option up their car so it weighs more. And options have consequences.

Put 300 pound sand bags, or a couple passengers in your car next time at the strip. >=0.2 difference I bet.

Reactions: Alex(AUS)
read again, no doubt it can run 10s.
The V1 P90DL was measured at 457kW. Assuming a 1500amp draw that's 304V
That's the same as a P85DL. So how could it be that you could expect less performance with a upgraded P85DL vs a new P90DL? It must have been software limited. Has anyone posted actual voltage vs current measurements for a v1 P90DL?

Last edited:
TRC weighed the new P90DL (no pano) in at 4,890 pounds. Interesting how the MT car lost another 290 pounds off that....

Best time for non-pano P85D: 11.596 (TRC)
Best time for pano P85D: 11.546 (George Schultz)

pretty close....
Are we sure any results from P85D are applicable to P90DL (given the different pack and likely also other differences given the older model)?

Also, so far we have:
P90DL v1 with pano: 11.220 (lagomorph)
P90DL v2 with pano: 11.050 (St. Charles)
P90DL v2 without pano: 10.804 (TRC)

That is the reference to the 0.2 second gap between pano vs no pano (at least for P90DL). Basically we are missing the P90DL v1 without pano in that data. Plus also the usual caveats about SOCs and test conditions apply (reminder: MT said they tested at full charge and we know empirically that max power from a given battery is at 100% SOC with the battery warmed up).

Reactions: GSP and bhzmark
TRC weighed the new P90DL (no pano) in at 4,890 pounds. Interesting how the MT car lost another 290 pounds off that....

pretty close....
Finally a true weight that substantiates my concern that the MT weight was suspicious.

By the way I just ran a 7.070 and 1.562 60' @ 96.52 in my P85DL to lower my previous best of 7.082 with pano roof.

Can someone talk the guy into plotting with weight and ETs on the axes.
Too bad few people fill in that weight field on dragtimes. That would be good info to have

TRC weighed the new P90DL (no pano) in at 4,890 pounds. Interesting how the MT car lost another 290 pounds off that.....

Yes it is. Was that w or w/o driver? And Trc has sas and power hatch? Uhf? How many pounds of gopros? :)

I think best explanation for MTs time isnt that they applied a correction factor, or had an advance v2 car, but they had a very lightweight car. Assuming that trc was a no driver weight, Not sure what explains that. 290 is lot of weight for just the sas and power hatcch which nearly all other p90ds would have.

Last edited:
4890 without driver. Where does MT list all of the options on the test car? I don't see that, I do see a $130,700 price as tested which is not a stripped down car.

Can someone talk the guy into plotting with weight and ETs on the axes.
Too bad few people fill in that weight field on dragtimes. That would be good info to have

Yes it is. Was that w or w/o driver? And Trc has sas and power hatch? Uhf? How many pounds of gopros? :)

I think best explanation for MTs time isnt that they applied a correction factor, or had an advance v2 car, but they had a very lightweight car. Assuming that trc was a no driver weight, Not sure what explains that. 290 is lot of weight for just the sas and power hatcch which nearly all other p90ds would have.

Last edited:
Are we sure any results from P85D are applicable to P90DL (given the different pack and likely also other differences given the older model)?

Also, so far we have:

That is the reference to the 0.2 second gap between pano vs no pano (at least for P90DL). Basically we are missing the P90DL v1 without pano in that data. Plus also the usual caveats about SOCs and test conditions apply (reminder: MT said they tested at full charge and we know empirically that max power from a given battery is at 100% SOC with the battery warmed up).
You are comparing / mixing old battery vs new battery like it was linked to pano alone where there was a 50+kw gain in that also.

H

pretty close....
Honestly we need more reality and less bs in this thread. Above is a very good example of what it should be about vs the rest of the repeated dribble.

I wish i had access to a "base" p90dl to show how very little weight difference there is vs one with a pano. I bet Tesla have this and have to provide it for various rated garages etc.

This thread gets more entertaining all the time. Thanks to the spread sheet on various batteries and their implementation I was finally able to pin some one down at the factory as to why I'm still waiting for my upgrade. It needs special connectors and there are only four (!) of us with said battery who want an upgrade in the US. I'm guessing the four f us are not high priority :(

• Informative
Reactions: brianman

Also, so far we have:

If I remember correctly, Lagomorph's car has the old body style, but he has installed a V2 battery into it.

Yeah, in these post and a few preceding it, he gives a description.

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.