Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Performance, No Ryzen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The analogy I used may be too generalized, leading to varied conclusions and I can see that.

A car is a specific, vertical application and while Tesla has imbued it with many aspects of PC's, perhaps that choice of analogy lends itself to too many interpretations.
Even an iPhone / Android analogy isn't applicable, in part because again, there are too many interpretations.... and tribes.

However, the larger points remain - The choice of MCU is not critical, and has limited effect on longevity - it's not a big factor in obsolescence for Tesla cars.
In fact, it's an example of Tesla's flexibility and inherently well-thought thru designs.
Those points are hard to argue against. But emotions don't yield to that.

Not trying to make enemies here, and I'll yield to the flames since again, it's not a critical issue.
What would you consider obsolete though? You mean for the core function of the car? Sure..of course not. The car is not going to fall over or stop working as a result.
And you were the one that compared it to a PC btw, that was one of your original analogies....
But you didn't answer the question...Given the choice, are you choosing the Intel or AMD?

And yet we already see performance differences...Your argument would stand up a bit more if there wasn't a difference in performance..but there is. And that is just today. You might be right, maybe this is the extent of what will be needed processing wise...but if given a choice, why would you not pick the one less likely to have feature issues down the line?

I also think any anxiety by users would be helped if they knew it was upgradeable later. I don't imagine this is anything more than a board swap...using the same mount and same connections...
I would agree that it should be a relatively simple upgrade down the line, but Tesla isn't saying it will be available.
That may be due to current supply constraints and might change. If there's serious demand, they'd likely do it.
But it seems more constrained to a certain blog. Haven't seen any other sites pushing the subject as hard.

The MCU performance difference is noticeable....where? On the Chinese internet example? That's the sole place it's been shown.
Have you experienced any lags? Are you using it extensively while driving?

What would you consider obsolete though? You mean for the core function of the car? Sure..of course not. The car is not going to fall over or stop working as a result.
And you were the one that compared it to a PC btw, that was one of your original analogies....
But you didn't answer the question...Given the choice, are you choosing the Intel or AMD?
My choice is NO choice. It doesn't really matter.
People getting the car with Intel or AMD will have a good car. Drive on.

It doesn't make it better or worse, just different in a less than noticeable way.
For those that obsess about each little issue gleaned from a blog, so be it. They wouldn't know about it, or care, otherwise.

A large part of the Tesla experience is the entertainment in the MCU. Some people absolutely don't care about anything outside of the driving, and that's fine. But it is tone deaf to claim that a large performance difference in one of the most important part of the car is irrelevant to everyone.

All this "it runs the same x86 instruction set" is laughable when the decision to support or not is based on performance, just like many other modern software. The Intel 486 runs x86 too and you don't see companies support 486s.

BTW I am a software engineer with a computer science post-grad degree, worked in FAANG for almost 10 years, before anyone start accusing me of talking out of my ass.

My choice is NO choice. It doesn't really matter.
People getting the car with Intel or AMD will have a good car. Drive on.

It doesn't make it better or worse, just different in a less than noticeable way.
For those that obsess about each little issue gleaned from a blog, so be it. They wouldn't know about it, or care, otherwise.
Just answer the simple question. Given the choice, which are you choosing?

The Intel Atom in my 2019 Model S works just fine. But I don't just sit in my car to play games, use the web browser or watch NetFlix. I get in, drive to where I need to and get out. The car goes forward, backward, stops, turns left and right, FSD works as bad as everyone else, navigation works and the backup camera works. If I'm super charging I just use my phone to surf the internet or stream anything.
I have a Y on order and couldn't give a crap if it's an Intel or an AMD since it's a car. Technology is outdated so quickly you'll never have the latest and greatest for more than a day. The Intel/AMD pissing contest is getting overblown, enjoy the car and stop worrying about what chip you get.

I agree, they aren't critical features. The real issue is the parity in price. Tesla could offer free or reduced FSD if you get an Intel in 2022 or something like that.
What would be really nice is if Tesla at least offered an upgrade path, so that functionality associated with what I'll broadly characterize as "non-drivey critical applications", could be brought up to the latest, if the user was willing to spend the money.

Also this mixed bag of Intel vs. Ryzen equipped in current shipping vehicles, particularly for MYP owners, is annoying. Leave the plebe M3LR/MYLR owners with the Intel remnants ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: pcmike
What would be really nice is if Tesla at least offered an upgrade path, so that functionality associated with what I'll broadly characterize as "non-drivey critical applications", could be brought up to the latest, if the user was willing to spend the money.

Also this mixed bag of Intel vs. Ryzen equipped in current shipping vehicles, particularly for MYP owners, is annoying. Leave the plebe M3LR/MYLR owners with the Intel remnants ;-)
This is a fair point; with my original MYP, which I had bought (and never gotten) FSD for, they did upgrade me to MCU2 as part of that. Did I notice huge improvement? Not in any practical sense.

The map stuff still lags more due to internet connectivity than CPU performance; I don't play many games (on the car), and YouTube/NetFlix works fine for the few times a year I sit at a Supercharger long enough to watch something.

This conversation has gotten rather chippy all of the sudden, and I think it's a lack of recognition that different people have different perspectives and priorities, and both conclusions (not big deal vs huge deal) are both valid -- from a certain perspective.

I think I'd prefer to have a Ryzen in my new MYP (delivery date just narrowed and I got my VIN assigned today), and I might call my SC to check, but I don't think I care enough one way or the other to refuse delivery on it. But I recognize that others might and would, and no judgement there. My values and priorities are not everyone's.

There are also a lot of concerns that Tesla will intentionally fork their updates and add applications that are Ryzen-only, leaving Atom equipped vehicle owners behind. It's quite possible they would do this, but really it's no different than any of the other upgrades / running changes they've made to all of the models.

I have difficulty swallowing this assumption Atom equipped vehicles will reach a phase of un-usability, solely because Tesla will ship changes that degrade and make them completely unusable. The Model S / Tegra issues were due to memory degradation, not CPU. This could just as easily happen to Ryzen equipped vehicles, or they could suffer other long term / not discovered during QA issues because nobody installed them in a hostile environment like a vehicle like Tesla have done.

This is a fair point; with my original MYP, which I had bought (and never gotten) FSD for, they did upgrade me to MCU2 as part of that. Did I notice huge improvement? Not in any practical sense.

The map stuff still lags more due to internet connectivity than CPU performance; I don't play many games (on the car), and YouTube/NetFlix works fine for the few times a year I sit at a Supercharger long enough to watch something.

This conversation has gotten rather chippy all of the sudden, and I think it's a lack of recognition that different people have different perspectives and priorities, and both conclusions (not big deal vs huge deal) are both valid -- from a certain perspective.

I think I'd prefer to have a Ryzen in my new MYP (delivery date just narrowed and I got my VIN assigned today), and I might call my SC to check, but I don't think I care enough one way or the other to refuse delivery on it. But I recognize that others might and would, and no judgement there. My values and priorities are not everyone's.
Absolutely no Model Ys have ever had MCU1 or an "upgraded" MCU as of this writing.

There are also a lot of concerns that Tesla will intentionally fork their updates and add applications that are Ryzen-only, leaving Atom equipped vehicle owners behind. It's quite possible they would do this, but really it's no different than any of the other upgrades / running changes they've made to all of the models.

I have difficulty swallowing this assumption Atom equipped vehicles will reach a phase of un-usability, solely because Tesla will ship changes that degrade and make them completely unusable. The Model S / Tegra issues were due to memory degradation, not CPU. This could just as easily happen to Ryzen equipped vehicles, or they could suffer other long term / not discovered during QA issues because nobody installed them in a hostile environment like a vehicle like Tesla have done.
Who cares about the assumptions? If we stick to the facts, the silicon in MCU3 is superior in every way. And the API interface to the silicon is SUPERIOR as well, using VULKAN on nix or windows, so whatever direction Tesla goes it's going to go a lot smoother. Also to be fair, Tegra was pretty craptastic too so moving to Atom from that was going from crap to slightly less crappy.

Who cares about the assumptions? If we stick to the facts, the silicon in MCU3 is superior in every way. And the API interface to the silicon is SUPERIOR as well, using VULKAN on nix or windows, so whatever direction Tesla goes it's going to go a lot smoother. Also to be fair, Tegra was pretty craptastic too so moving to Atom from that was going from crap to slightly less crappy.
I'm responding to the "this car will be obsolete cos Atom" nonsense. Nobody is arguing the Ryzen is NOT better.

And if you want to talk about facts, the "craptastic" Tegra powers the Switch and NVidia Shield, both of which are quite capable gaming devices despite their age.

I'm responding to the "this car will be obsolete cos Atom" nonsense. Nobody is arguing the Ryzen is NOT better.

And if you want to talk about facts, the "craptastic" Tegra powers the Switch and NVidia Shield, both of which are quite capable gaming devices despite their age.
The Shield ignores power efficiency because its a table top device. The Switch uses much improved silicon so the point definitely remains. Tegra was prior to the improved silicon a fail in IT circles.

The Shield ignores power efficiency because its a table top device. The Switch uses much improved silicon so the point definitely remains. Tegra was prior to the improved silicon a fail in IT circles.
True on the first gen, I first got a whiff of the v1 Tegra via a "windows on ARM" prototype device. It was pretty craptastic (both WoA and the Tegra). Wasn't sure which Tegra generationTelsa incorporated into the S.

True on the first gen, I first got a whiff of the v1 Tegra via a "windows on ARM" prototype device. It was pretty craptastic (both WoA and the Tegra). Wasn't sure which Tegra generationTelsa incorporated into the S.
The early ones... date of production. I had a tegra powered phone, was one of the worst devices I've ever used. I do have a couple shields and while they are awesome, don't really count because they're overpowered and don't have to fit into a power limit so they can run balls out. Nvidia has been trying to get Tegra adoption going and has failed. The X1 is a huge improvement but it still is not known as a high performer when it was released in 2017. I was surprised Nintendo went Nvidia when the Steamdeck was still in development, so Nvidia must have flexed their free cash strength by making a sweat arse deal. But anyways I digress...

First Tesla buyer here, also first time I am actually thinking about components on my car.
Cyberpunk is a PC game, I even don't like it on PS5 let alone the car screen....joking aside..
Is there a confirmed way to tell the components by the VIN? My delivery will be April May, my Customer Support person told me she will check but was positive of Ryzen and that everyone ask for it, it's the most asked question. I am in Houston.