Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just have an amazon style rating under the avatar. Everyone can select a star rating for a member showing how much they value their contributions. The higher the number of ratings given to someone the better that someone is known by other forum members. The higher the actual rating the higher they are valued.

four-star-reviews.png

I'm surprised myself that people would "abandon" a forum like TMC over lost reputation points or the background being too bright. To me it's always been about community, content, information and high quality discussion.

I like the new forum, especially on mobile (where I'm at 90% of the time) and seeing how well it works on my iPhone I've mostly lost the need for Tapatalk, except for the push notifications which were nice.

Another though regarding Tapatalk: wasn't the background always white in that app? I never heard anyone complaining about that...

I haven't read the 37 pages of existing feedback so, this may be repeated:

In the old forum, there was one click to see all posts in my "Watched Forums". So, I could log in and easily see new posts for only topics I was interested in.

Now, the "Watched Forums" button only shows me my list of forums. That is no more efficient than just selecting them from the root list of directories.

And the "New Posts" button isn't useful because it shows me EVERY new post. That is not useful because beyond topics that don't interest me, I am also flooded with posts in languages I can't even read.

I won't say this keeps me from visiting but the lack of ease means it isn't convenient and I have to consciously decide whether I have time to wade through the weeds. That compounds the problem because the less I log in, the more junk I have to go through.

Maybe I just haven't found the location of the button I used to use. Please advise.

On the other hand, I've gotten rep for those quick posts -- but very very little for posts having to do with fighting the state dealership battles, for instance. I've put some real work in behind the scenes. And crickets. But I didn't do it for the rep.

Which seems to me to point out the weakness of the point system in general. Throwaway posts get points but meaningful posts get nada.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Which seems to me to point out the weakness of the point system in general. Throwaway posts get points but meaningful posts get nada.

Hah. You left out the line immediately preceding what you quoted. I also said, "because part of the fun of this forum is the light-hearted banter at times and people who lighten it up should also be recognized". And I also said, "The reputation system was imperfect, but as a whole, it operated well."

I have no issue with points being given for light-hearted banter. It would be a shame if that were lost from the fabric of TMC.

In the old forum, there was one click to see all posts in my "Watched Forums". So, I could log in and easily see new posts for only topics I was interested in.

Now, the "Watched Forums" button only shows me my list of forums. That is no more efficient than just selecting them from the root list of directories.

And the "New Posts" button isn't useful because it shows me EVERY new post. That is not useful because beyond topics that don't interest me, I am also flooded with posts in languages I can't even read.

Maybe I just haven't found the location of the button I used to use. Please advise.
I believe the "watched threads" button will do what you want. It works for me.

I haven't read the 37 pages of existing feedback so, this may be repeated:

I won't say this keeps me from visiting but the lack of ease means it isn't convenient and I have to consciously decide whether I have time to wade through the weeds. That compounds the problem because the less I log in, the more junk I have to go through.

I think what you're looking for is "Watched Threads": https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/threads

Admin: This is a nit, but please consider one more change to Signatures.

Specifically, it appears there is a filter limiting the size to "2". I get why you may want to do that to not allow people to make massive text fields, although it could still be done in an image signature if one were so inclined. Be that as it may, the problem is, Size=2 is smaller than default post text in the current forum CSS, so if one elects to use BBCode Size in their signature, everything will always be smaller than text used in the base post or by someone not using BBCode. I believe the solution is to either change Size=2 to be the same text size as your forum post template, or IMHO better yet, do that with Size=3, allow that in Signatures like most other forums I frequent do, essentially making it the default Size for people trying to put a little granularity into their sig lines.

BTW, THANK YOU for putting links back in signatures. :)

I believe the "watched threads" button will do what you want. It works for me.

I think what you're looking for is "Watched Threads": https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/threads

It's possible what @Chrisizzle wants is actually to be able to watch, say, the Roadster forum - and see new posts in that forum only - even if they are not subscribed to every individual thread. This is a feature I'd like as well, or less effectively, I'd like the New Posts list to separate the subforum out into its own column so I can scan and avoid non-English forums or ones where my input isn't welcome. :)

I once responded to a thread about the Roadster HPWC thinking they meant the MS/X HPWC (right after they changed the name of it). After being shamed appropriately for that, I began to pay very close attention to the subforum listed in "New Posts". This is quite a bit more difficult now.

When I try to edit my signature, I get an error: "you are only allowed one link in your sig"... but I'm seeing many folks with new edited signatures, including Bert's, with two (or more) links.

Mine has three, but that's because I haven't updated it yet to remove two links.

What's going on here?
There are some oddities to be sure with I suspect some sort of signature filter messages that appear but don't always makes sense... My sig e.g. is close to some length limit on total characters, but the message I run into quite often IIRC is something about too many lines (implying I can't have 3 or sometimes 4 lines in a sig.) Part of your challenge may be in the length of what the actual URLs and all that is that is not displayed, but being counted by the filter... I had to work on shortening my text and the URLs to get the sig to save.

BTW, I suspect you've found the oddities that sometimes signature preview looks right, but what is saved isn't the same because of the way those filters must be operating. I have to keep multiple windows open to TMC -- one with a thread and post of mine that I can refresh after Saving a new sig dialogs in the other so I know what it really will look like. ;) I've not tracked it down precisely enough to report it as a bug back to Admin, and gave up on that for the time being since I've got my workaround while things keep being tweaked.

Happy Editing! :)

Last edited:
Going back to my post, I only felt we'd lost some history. That's all.

And that's at the crux of what I've been saying as well.

The admins did an excellent job of insuring that this was not some sort of "relaunch" or "rebirth" of TMC. It was clear that they wanted this to be a redesign only, and that by and large the intention was for no information to be lost in the transition. That's why I like the idea of one line added to the info that displays with our posts that retains that piece of the history.

That being said, I've come to this discussion under the assumption that it would be relatively easy, if the admins were on board, to grab that historical information from the last saved version of the old system, and somehow import it / merge it for the one-time static use in the new system. If I am mistaken about that, and for some reason that data is really irretrievably "gone for good", then of course my "compromise" suggestion is untenable.

My Alerts from Watched Threads don't appear to be working any longer. This is true on both my Computer (Chrome Browser) and my iPhone (Safari). It worked flawlessly until some point yesterday.

As an aside, I actually really like the new forum design and understand it'll continue to be tweaked and improved over the coming weeks. The mobile experience, in particular, is far superior but I was not using the Tapatalk app before.