Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One observation regarding the Autopark: I don’t use it because it pedantically cranks the steering wheel while the car is absolutely stationary, therefore ensuring maximum wear on the involved steering and suspension parts.

If the software would allow the car to move mere centimetres/inches as it cranks the steering wheel (mimicking best practices), that would enhance the longevity of said parts as well as the front tires.

One observation regarding the Autopark: I don’t use it because it pedantically cranks the steering wheel while the car is absolutely stationary, therefore ensuring maximum wear on the involved steering and suspension parts.

If the software would allow the car to move mere centimetres/inches as it cranks the steering wheel (mimicking best practices), that would enhance the longevity of said parts as well as the front tires.
Is it true that turning the steering wheel while stationary wears the steering and suspension more than if the car was traveling at 5MPH? What about 50MPH

Is it true that turning the steering wheel while stationary wears the steering and suspension more than if the car was traveling at 5MPH? What about 50MPH
The best way to demonstrate this phenomena is driving a vehicle without power steering; power steering simply masks the effort being expended to turn the front wheels under all operating conditions.

Borrow someones ICE and park it (in a controlled environment) on a slight grade that would allow the vehicle to coast down the grade without the engine (and hence the power steering pump) operating.

Turn the car on but do not start it; while remaining stationary, crank the front wheels from center to full left and then full right and then back to center; note what your muscle memory is telling you.

Then, put the car in neutral and as it begins to slowly coast down the grade, repeat the crank full left, crank full right, re-center movements.

Your muscle memory will tell you that you spent much less effort turning the front wheels left, right & re-center while the car was slowly moving.

Look back at the two patches of pavement that mark the areas when the car was stationary and you cranked the front wheels left, right & re-center.

Note the pavement will have evidence of surface scuffing and probably will show actual damage.

You will not see that same scuffing (and potential actual damage) when the car was slowly coasting as the wheels were turned.

That energy causing the scuffing is being transferred via the steering components.

Wow... you obviously didn't learn on a car that didn't have power steering. It's really hard to turn the wheel when stationary, much easier if it is moving even slightly. This used to be part of driver training. I guess I'm showing my age, was driving 5 ton trucks before I was old enough to have a license.