Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Geographic Tesla Model S Megafactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the current conspiracy theory is that this episode was blocked from being shown because Shell is a sponsor of our Nat. Geo. channel? I don't know if there is an official position on the 'why' it wasn't shown here.

The episode is a clear advertisement. 45 minutes long. Just like my favorite one BMW X3 from same producers. TM paid for it production. TM will have to pay for airing it on North American market. With MotorTrens award and other press TM most likely postponed it airing - they got enough press for now.

Just like BMW choose to produce several episodes of Ultimate Factory(including X3) - but decided to air them only in North America and other non European markets. So they wont hurt feelings of Europeans about several BMW models produced only in US. But those episodes are still clear advertisement of BMW, so BMW is very much interested in ppl seeing them. And TM interested in ppl seeing Tesla Factory episode...

So no conspiracies - just business. We will see episode aired in a due time I guess.

Some 30 seconds or so of video I shot at the Model S 2009 LA "premiere", intercut with footage from Steve Jurvetson, was used in that NatGeo vid. (There's a small credit at the end.) Thing is they presented it as being from the Get Amped tour.

I really geeked out on this... watched it three times. SO ahead of the industry curve and that factory is huge - so much upside to owning a huge facility (riding bikes around it) like NUMMI. Plenty of space for Tesla to go mass market downstream.

Aluminum? Oh, we have the largest aluminum stamping machine, yep, got that. The facility is designed so beautifully in perfect red and white. Even the robots are neatly dressed in red doing their precision movements. Haven't seen any other documentary I enjoyed this much since Bloomberg TV's Risk Takers half hour profile on Elon (talked about elsewhere with such in-depth coverage on Tesla), so if you want to watch more lengthy good stuff (again):
Elon Musk Profiled: Bloomberg Risk Takers - YouTube

Four weeks ago, on my flight to San Francisco, I ignored this in flight documentary (to busy reading and listening to good music). During my stay a had a couple of visits to the Santana Row Tesla Shop and the obvious test ride.

Warning: Please do no have a test ride if you want to be able

Earlier today, I paid my reservation fee, and I'm glad the documentary is available on YouTube, so I can finally watch it.

Thanks for sharing!