Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Unveil When??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know the December 13th date was a process of deduction. I believe Elon Musk said that it was time to unveil the Model X before the end of the year. There were several articles to that effect.

Apple used to generally unveil their products on a Tuesday, I think because they believed that the most people were sitting at their desks in front of their computers on that day and they had the rest of the week for the buzz to reverberate. Waiting until Tuesday, next week - December 20th - would be too long since lots of people will be starting their Christmas vacations next week and Hanukkah starts on the 20th. So the thinking was (at least on my part) that they'd have to do it today. If it gets to noon or 1PM and we don't hear anything then obviously they don't share that line of reasoning.

I would have thought that we'd hear something by now because I would think they would have to invite the press and the press would tip off everybody (through blogs et cetera) to be on the lookout for the big unveiling. The fact that none of that has happened so far makes it seem like Tesla is not stealing a page from Apple's playbook. Can anybody remember the circumstances under which they unveiled the Model S years ago? Was there advance notice so that people could "tune in?"

Just read this in the Barclays Capital report from today:

Tesla is also making progress to the Model X, a crossover vehicle using the same drivetrain platform as the Model S, and has scheduled a formal Model X Reveal event on February 9th, 2012 at Tesla’s design studio in LA. The February event leads us to believe Tesla is also on track to launch the Model X in late 2013 as planned.

So if we get anything before then it will be just some teaser pictures or that kind of thing.

Just read this in the Barclays Capital research report from today:

Tesla is also making progress to the Model X, a crossover vehicle using the same drivetrain platform as the Model S, and has scheduled a formal Model X Reveal event on February 9th, 2012 at Tesla’s design studio in LA. The February event leads us to believe Tesla is also on track to launch the Model X in late 2013 as planned.

So if we get anything before then it will be teaser photos or that kind of thing.

That's the first day of Winter. I wonder if the Model S options and pricing will be revealed then. It sure would match Elon's under-promise, over-deliver.

I was always confused by "Winter" scheduling. If you say "Winter 2011", does that mean after 12/22 but before the end of the year? Or are Jan-March '12 considered part of "Winter 2011"? Not that they said 2011 mind you, the design studio says "this winter".

It appears, then, that Dec 13 was the unveiling of the release date. Fair guess, but apparently very bad for the stock :scared:

Yeah, without a public/major reveal this year, I wonder if the stock will coast and dip until the next event (X reveal? S pricing?). Good buying opportunities for sure, but bad move on the PR team's part. Gotta keep momentum and mindshare.