Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After delivery today, there are a couple of things that have to be resolved on my model S.
I'm not sure what to think. These aren't minor things and seem like items that should have shown up in a pre-delivery checklist. Does the UMC work? Does the GPS work? Does the TPMS work?

Tesla has said they were slower ramping up to focus on quality. If these sorts of items are still what's showing after that quality focus, what was happening before?

I'm not sure what to think. These aren't minor things and seem like items that should have shown up in a pre-delivery checklist. Does the UMC work? Does the GPS work? Does the TPMS work?

To be fair, the UMC works - it's just that you have to aim it at the rear window when pushing the button to open the charge port. This was the case on another post I saw on the forums as well.

As for TPMS and GPS, it's very possible that during transport they worked their way loose -- GPS antenna, perhaps? and one of the TPMS sensors might have gone wonky.

The DS said this was the lowest mileage he had seen on a car yet - it had 22 miles on it. It's very possible this wasn't seen until the transport shook it up.

I'll wait until service gets a look at it before I pass judgment.

1. For some reason, the GPS receiver isn't working as the car thinks it's on Deer Creek Rd. in Menlo Park and the maps are gray. There is no apparent way to force a GPS update, a reboot didn't fix. Service is being alerted.
Did you do a cold/hard reset or just the screen reboots (holding the steering wheel buttons/wheels)? I believer Cinergi knows how to do a complete shutdown/reboot if Tesla didn't have you do that. May wake it up.

I have had my Model S for less then 4 days and I unfortunately haven't had much chance to take her out yet. Only issue I have so far is the car doesn't lock when I walk away even though its set to do so automatically. I also haven't tested HomeLink or adjusted the side mirrors to point down on reverse. Fingers crossed, LOVE the car and believe Tesla Motors is the real deal and shouldn't be compared to the others in regards to support and customer service and future customer satisfaction. My car had 55 miles on it at the time of pickup.

Just a tip - when you see an error message, grab your cell phone and snap a quick picture. It helps when you're talking to your service rep (because there will be an error code). And the pic is invaluable for an error that isn't easily reproducible.

Hope you get your car back quickly!
When corresponding with a service advisor about a message I was getting on the screen, he mentioned a way for beaming a screen shot directly to Tesla:

"When a message comes across, I would hold the menu button (below the roller ball on the right side of the steering wheel) for 5 seconds and a screen shot will be sent to our user interface group."

I have not had a problem since, so I have not had to use this. Has anyone else tried this?

When corresponding with a service advisor about a message I was getting on the screen, he mentioned a way for beaming a screen shot directly to Tesla:

"When a message comes across, I would hold the menu button (below the roller ball on the right side of the steering wheel) for 5 seconds and a screen shot will be sent to our user interface group."

I have not had a problem since, so I have not had to use this. Has anyone else tried this?

Didn't know that, but that's incredibly cool!

Thanks. So it only takes a picture of the small LCD screen and not the 17" display, right?

After delivery today, there are a couple of things that have to be resolved on my model S.

1. For some reason, the GPS receiver isn't working as the car thinks it's on Deer Creek Rd. in Menlo Park and the maps are gray. There is no apparent way to force a GPS update, a reboot didn't fix. Service is being alerted.

I am almost positive that the issue is your GPS antenna is not connected to the receiver. Many cars have had this issue.

Thanks. So it only takes a picture of the small LCD screen and not the 17" display, right?
Both.
TeslaScreen.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as one of the apparently "lucky" ones, I've been satisfied with the QC on my vehicle, though there are some nitpicks (like my Paint Armor isn't applied yet) that I consider well within the "early adopter" tax.

While it can be concerning, as you note, hearing the negatives on the forum keep in mind that people are usually less vocal about "no issues" (much like people are quicker to complain during employee reviews than to praise).

I suspect the "lucky" are outnumbering the "unlucky", otherwise the "quiet many" would likely find the TMC forum (or the official TMI forum) and vent a bit.

+1

"early adopter” tax indeed … after 7 days post delivery…. well worth it!

I experienced a rather odd hiccup yesterday while driving down Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. The song playing on Slacker radio stopped and it looked like it was trying to stream/buffer more of the audio. I tried to press the “next” button and nothing. I tried to select another audio source – nothing. I tried to select another app – nothing. The map screen was then locked up too. The entire screen then went black and a small x appeared in the center. The Tesla logo appeared on the screen for a few seconds and then everything came back up. It would appear that they system running the apps and touchscreen got hung up and rebooted itself. I wasn’t able to take a picture and didn’t get a screen capture sent (traffic was heavy and I needed to pay attention to the road – good thing my wife was there to remind me of this as I fumbled for my phone :wink:). The instrument cluster and operation of the car were unaffected.

No complaints here – just documenting the issue. I am certain this kind of bug will be fixed in the next software update. I love the car!