Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance (2023) - Battery Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't another batter degradation question ... hahaha. I tried searching the forum, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Does anyone know what the useable battery capacity for a 2023 Model 3 Performance is??

I recently charged to 80% and drove the car until it hit 3%. The car trip screen says a total of 44kwh were used, so that would mean my total usable capacity would be 57.14kwh (44kwh/77%). I remember reading somewhere that the battery pack was 82kwh, but maybe I'm wrong, just looking for feedback.

This isn't another batter degradation question ... hahaha. I tried searching the forum, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Does anyone know what the useable battery capacity for a 2023 Model 3 Performance is??

I recently charged to 80% and drove the car until it hit 3%. The car trip screen says a total of 44kwh were used, so that would mean my total usable capacity would be 57.14kwh (44kwh/77%). I remember reading somewhere that the battery pack was 82kwh, but maybe I'm wrong, just looking for feedback.

Approximately 80.7kWh will give you 315 rated miles.

I assume this trip was not continuous, and may have included some parking overnight. And the correct trip meter to use would be "Since Last Charge." (Not "Current Trip".)

Redo this measurement, but be sure to start driving immediately after charging to 80%, and don't stop until you get to 3% (no stops allowed!). I'd expect you'd get 61kWh or 62kWh on the "Since Last Charge" and "Current Trip"

The Trip screen for "Current Trip" resets after you park AND remove yourself from the driver's seat (probably opening the driver's door is required too).

You can stop if you must, but you have to turn off AC before parking and make the stop very brief (and then you look at "Since Last Charge").

None of the trip meters include any energy used while parked, which can be substantial. (In this case it appears to be about 17kWh which seems fairly high (though possible), so I do wonder whether the correct trip meter was referenced.)

Reactions: AAKEE
Upvote 0
All M3P have 82kwh battery
Do you have a source for this? I'm seeing and hearing 72, which I do think is wrong.

Slightly off-topic reason for asking:
  • I got the Tessie app about 6 months after buying my 2023 M3P new a year ago and it has with just one exception early on consistently shown about 72 kWh of full battery capacity. (No significant degradation since November at all. I've been conservative since day one about limiting the charge level, as recommended here.) And my calculations, based on % used on various trips per actual mile (ignoring rated range estimates) seem to be about 72kWh too. A service center tech gave me a number right around 72 for the capacity when new.
  • But the math doesn't come close to a 72kWh as-delivered-new capacity I think. 82kWh less the 4.5% buffer is 77.9 usable kWh. To get the rated 315 miles of range from 77.9 kWh would mean driving with an efficiency of 247 Wh/m. Not real likely with real world conditions in my experience but possible and a plausible EPA estimate basis. But if the pack has 72 kWh, then usable would be .95 times that or 68.4 usable kWh. Then to get 315 miles you'd have to use only 217 Wh/m. That's really not realistic, and I think it's worse than the range overstatement that owners are upset about. So I'm pretty skeptical about the number that tech gave me.
  • My actual range extrapolated from some long trips in good weather using just % SOC and miles is at most around 260 miles, usually more like 250. Judging by the Tessie graph that's not degradation. I'm wondering if my pack was really defective when delivered.

So I'd love an authoritative source for the actual new pack capacity of a '23 M3P!

Upvote 0
Do you have a source for this? I'm seeing and hearing 72, which I do think is wrong.

• I got the Tessie app about 6 months after buying my 2023 M3P new a year ago and it has with just one exception early on consistently shown about 72 kWh of full battery capacity. (No significant degradation since November at all. I've been conservative since day one about limiting the charge level, as recommended here.) And my calculations, based on % used on various trips per actual mile (ignoring rated range estimates) seem to be about 72kWh too. A service center tech gave me a number right around 72 for the capacity when new.
  • But the math doesn't come close to a 72kWh as-delivered-new capacity I think. 82kWh less the 4.5% buffer is 77.9 usable kWh. To get the rated 315 miles of range from 77.9 kWh would mean driving with an efficiency of 247 Wh/m. Not real likely with real world conditions in my experience but possible and a plausible EPA estimate basis. But if the pack has 72 kWh, then usable would be .95 times that or 68.4 usable kWh. Then to get 315 miles you'd have to use only 217 Wh/m. That's really not realistic, and I think it's worse than the range overstatement that owners are upset about. So I'm pretty skeptical about the number that tech gave me.
  • My actual range extrapolated from some long trips in good weather using just % SOC and miles is at most around 260 miles, usually more like 250. Judging by the Tessie graph that's not degradation. I'm wondering if my pack was really defective when delivered.

So I'd love an authoritative source for the actual new pack capacity of a '23 M3P!
There is one here in the club. You have to find it

Upvote 0

Here’s facts:

All M3LR/P had a ”77.8” kWh battery until (including) 2020.

From 2021 M3P had 82.1kWh until further in US.

In EU (and rest of the world?) there was a broad mix 2021 but M3P had 82.1 kWh battery 2021 and the first quarter of 2022.
After that LG with 78.8kWh.

The capacity numbers is total capacity, and the programmed ”Full Pack when New” in the BMS. The actual capacity has differed slightly from that (not that much) in the packs.
That is not right, the smallest known location ack that the M3P had was the 77.8 kWh ( = 74.3kWh exclusing the buffer).

• But the math doesn't come close to a 72kWh as-delivered-new capacity I think. 82kWh less the 4.5% buffer is 77.9 usable kWh.
82.1 less the buffer is 78.4. (82.1 x 0.955).

• To get the rated 315 miles of range from 77.9 kWh would mean driving with an efficiency of 247 Wh/m.

The rated 315 miles includes the buffer.
But there is a slight margin from a full non degraded pack so you need 80.6kWh or so to reach 315 miles displayed.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
This was the top reading of my M3P 2021 with the 82.1 kWh pack: (full pack when new = 82.1kWh)
IMG_2135.png

My pack was mostly charged to 55%, except when mire was needed.

I did charge to 100% slightly more than once per month in average so ~30 full charges during the 2.5 years I had it.
Also about 55 supercharging sessions.
Capacity was 78-78.3kWh when I sold it (full charge 492km / 78.1 kWh last time I charged full).

The new owner charges higher, like most people (commuting/not that interrested in reducing degradation).

The car still has 76.8 kWh capacity (checked one week ago), after , 80K km and 3.5 years since new.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0

82.1kWh in the United States. Well established.

I got the Tessie app about 6 months after buying my 2023 M3P new a year ago and it has with just one exception early on consistently shown about 72 kWh of full battery capacity. (
This is wrong as covered above.
To get the rated 315 miles of range from 77.9 kWh would mean driving with an efficiency of 247 Wh/m.

82.1kWh FPWN
80.6kWh degradation threshold.
80.6kWh/315mi = 256Wh/mi => rated line is ~256Wh/mi+5Wh/mi = ~261Wh/mi

All that matters is your pack capacity of course!
Just use the energy screen method and forget about anything else. That's why it is a sticky. You can buy SMT or whatever if you want more extensive information. But apparently there is a new Tesla API coming (???) which may provide more info via the various apps not requiring CAN access (???).

Or you can just use your rated miles at 100% and compare to 315mi. And then scale the ratio by 80.6kWh. Equivalent.

Reactions: AAKEE
Upvote 0