Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is going to a RV campgrounds with an EV super common?

Probably not, though in earlier times, EV drivers may have wanted to keep more charging options open due the smaller coverage of dedicated publicly accessible charging stations. RV campgrounds were probably the most common high power AC charging outlets available for EV road trippers.

Is going to a RV campgrounds with an EV super common? I've never actually been to one nor do I know anyone else who has.

There are decades of RV folks using 14-50s on the road, and installing them at their homes. Ten years ago, it was basically the fastest way to drive cross country in an EV. The charging infrastructure has changed dramatically since then. However even now there are still some rural areas where RV parks exist and formal EV charging sites don't exist. Since 6-50s are much rarer in the wild by comparison, it is no surprise that 14-50 became the defacto standard for higher power mobile EVSEs.

Similar situation with TT-30 - which are also in common use by RVs. Much lower power than a 14-50, but better than 5-15 or 5-20. I'm still surprised Tesla doesn't offer a proper TT-30 adapter for the UMC. (Evseadapters does, and seem to be selling a lot of them.)

I've charged a few times at RV parks in the past. But if I were doing those same routes today I could use Superchargers and CCS sites.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
The other thing I would say is that I really don't need to charge at 40A. That's fast enough to take my 75 kWh battery from 0 to 100% in about 8 hours. Now that we have solar, I use that (don't get much ¢ selling kWh back to the grid) as much as possible and charge at around 16A max and it's plenty. YMMV but a 20A circuit would be much smaller wire and cheaper.

Hello all, I had a 15-50 Hubble socket provided and installed by an electrician in early 2022
I started getting the "Charge Rate Reduced - wall plug temperature high, wall outlet and wiring inspection recommended" alert after about a year
I turned down the charge rate and stopped getting the issue and forgot about it
I recently increased the rate and got the alert again, so I reached out to the electrician and they are saying wall sockets wear out after 4-5 years and need to be replaced. Even though its only been ~2 years
They quoted me $250 to come out to replace the socket.
Does this sound right my Hubble socket needs to be replaced so soon?
Anything I should check for before replacing the socket?
I'll just DIY it myself if that's the case.

That was my very first thought.

Hello all, I had a 15-50 Hubble socket provided and installed by an electrician in early 2022
I started getting the "Charge Rate Reduced - wall plug temperature high, wall outlet and wiring inspection recommended" alert after about a year
I recently increased the rate and got the alert again, so I reached out to the electrician and they are saying wall sockets wear out after 4-5 years and need to be replaced. Even though its only been ~2 years

1. What model of Hubbell NEMA 14-50 receptacle did your electrician install? They make two different versions - 9450A and RR450F. The 9450A has that number molded into the receptacle itself. If there is no number, it is the RR450F. Only the 9450A is suitable for EV charging.

2. How often do you plug and unplug devices from this receptacle? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? The charging equipment stays plugged in at all times?

3. Hubbell manufactures and sells a version of the 9450A called the 9450FR under the Bryant brand name. It is much less expensive than the Hubbell, but identical in quality.

4. Assuming you have a genuine 9450A or 9450FR, it should be inspected for damage, at minimum. Ideally, it should be replaced in case there is internal damage due to overheating that cannot be detected externally.

5. Either of these receptacles should have its terminals tightened with a torque wrench or driver to the manufacturer's specified torque rating of 75 inch-pounds.

6. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS OUTLET UNTIL IT IS INSPECTED AND TIGHTENED OR REPLACED NO MATTER THE CHARGING CURRENT.

Reactions: GetYourWheels
I've been using 14-50 receptacles for 14 years of Tesla ownership and I've never found that the good ones (Hubbel, Bryant) wear out unless you're performing live disconnects, but in some cases they definitely need cleaning. I use a good quality contact cleaner. This is especially necessary in outdoor and humid locations. I've also found that the lugs can loosen over time. I recommend re-torquing the lugs and cleaning the contacts and see if that improves your situation before replacing it.

That was my very first thought.

1. What model of Hubbell NEMA 14-50 receptacle did your electrician install? They make two different versions - 9450A and RR450F. The 9450A has that number molded into the receptacle itself. If there is no number, it is the RR450F. Only the 9450A is suitable for EV charging.

2. How often do you plug and unplug devices from this receptacle? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? The charging equipment stays plugged in at all times?

3. Hubbell manufactures and sells a version of the 9450A called the 9450FR under the Bryant brand name. It is much less expensive than the Hubbell, but identical in quality.

4. Assuming you have a genuine 9450A or 9450FR, it should be inspected for damage, at minimum. Ideally, it should be replaced in case there is internal damage due to overheating that cannot be detected externally.

5. Either of these receptacles should have its terminals tightened with a torque wrench or driver to the manufacturer's specified torque rating of 75 inch-pounds.

6. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS OUTLET UNTIL IT IS INSPECTED AND TIGHTENED OR REPLACED NO MATTER THE CHARGING CURRENT.
Thanks for this info, I will check all this tonight!
I only unplugged and replugged in maybe once every few months

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73