Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Journalists Trespass, Assault Tesla employees at the Gigafactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the photos were taken in the RGJ parking lot (it says that somewhere in the article). So the contents would have naturally resettled after the car had been moved. The placement of the seat belt obviously is deliberate however (likely to demonstrate their point). The rock might be too.
After placing certain things in certain places, you would think that you would put some of the glass on the seat where it should naturally go. Who breaks glass, then puts it only on the floor. Did the security throw the rock through the window, or just break it and then throw it on the ground like I would? I'm pretty sure the RGJ would have said they threw a rock aiming it at my head if it went through the window, or he tried to kill me by throwing a rock through my window. Also, trying to break a glass with a smooth rock as pictured is not easy, unless this is an old car with think windows.

After placing certain things in certain places, you would think that you would put some of the glass on the seat where it should naturally go. Who breaks glass, then puts it only on the floor. Did the security throw the rock through the window, or just break it and then throw it on the ground like I would? I'm pretty sure the RGJ would have said they threw a rock aiming it at my head if it went through the window, or he tried to kill me by throwing a rock through my window. Also, trying to break a glass with a smooth rock as pictured is not easy, unless this is an old car with think windows.

I'm sure they were placed in the picture only to show the end result, not to insinuate this was the condition at the time of the incident. They just wanted to show the cut seatbelt and the rock and the broken glass. They weren't trying to stage the scene of the attack. IMO.

This is an interesting Rorschach test for forum members. Ambiguous, often conflicting information leading to speculation regarding fault, actions and motive.
Indeed. It would be interesting to see how little information about an inflammatory subject was needed to generate multiple detailed proposed scenarios.

Waiting to see what happens in the judicial system seems like a good plan at this point. There just isn't enough information.

Somewhere above it was speculated that the journalist had a first amendment right to take pictures. This is a common misconception. The first amendment basically prohibits Congress from passing a law that infringes upon freedom of the press. The first amendment does not provide any right regarding trespassing to take pictures on private property.

Waiting to see what happens in the judicial system seems like a good plan at this point. There just isn't enough information.
Oh, come on now! You know that just not how we roll in these forums. We take a small amount of information and we micro-analyze it, making a multitude of assumptions and wild speculation right up until the facts are finally made clear. It's just what we do. We're gluttons for punishment. We can't help ourselves.

While the journalists were trespassing, sounds like the security officers escalated the situation, and might have even faked up some evidence. I'm not impressed with Tesla security.

This has been my point since the beginning. They demonstrated provocative, aggressive behavior. There was no reason for them to try to detain the journalists or prevent their escape. Leave that to the police. They could describe the car, they knew their employer, and very likely had it on CCTV.

This has been my point since the beginning. They demonstrated provocative, aggressive behavior. There was no reason for them to try to detain the journalists or prevent their escape. Leave that to the police. They could describe the car, they knew their employer, and very likely had it on CCTV.

It sounds like the security guards may have mistakenly (from what others have posted) thought they had the right to demand that the photos obtained during the trespassing be deleted. That may have been a factor in their attempt to detain the journalists.

That article is so biased as to be laughable. You can't believe a word of it, since it makes no sense. The police lay battery and trespassing charges against the journalists -- not the security guards -- after investigating the incident and interviewing both sides. I reiterate what I said here about why the journalists' version of events makes no sense:

Journalists Trespass, Assault Tesla employees at the Gigafactory - Page 13

It seems the prosecutor agrees.

The first security guard had the right to detain or prevent their escape given he directly witnessed them trespassing. There is no evidence any of it was caught on CCTV. The security guard was trying to copy down the license plate number when he was ran down according to the report. There is no guarantee the press badges are real, and even knowing the journalists is working for that publication doesn't pin it on anyone specific (I imagine the publication is big enough it won't necessarily be straightforward; the journalists may even be third party and not official employees).

Last edited:
The two lines of the story I'm finding most suspect are these:

Barron told police the guards rammed the Jeep with their vehicle and “tried to run them off the road” during the chase.
Barron told deputies he tried to drive away because he was afraid of the guards’ behavior after they tried to ram the newspaper’s Jeep with their all-terrain vehicle.
Now I'm no expert on ATV's, but they're typically fairly light with large balloonish tires. They are certainly not designed for running anything off the road, let alone a full size Jeep. No way. Sorry, not buying it.

And I noticed right from the start how they tried to set the tone of the article by opening with this:

The Storey County district attorney has decided to forgo felony charges against a Reno Gazette-Journal photographer, opting instead to charge him with two misdemeanor counts...

The level of bias in the story makes it sound all the more unbelievable.