Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think my headlights are blinding people, are they properly adjusted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 M3 with the matrix lights that have a low beam with a higher part on the left hand side. I have been told that the correct way to adjust the lights is to have the main part of the beam on the road ahead with the higher part illuminating the side of the road to see signs, etc. Before the adaptive high beam update I had the lights pointed futher down with the higher part of the beam illuminating my lane but after the update that would cause the adaptive high beams to not work properly and darken the wrong section. I followed the adjustment procedure in the manual to fix the issue and while the high beams work properly now I notice my lights are blinding people. When turning a bend the higher part shines directly into oncoming traffic and when on the motorway passing other cars it shines into their windows. I have tried pointing the lights futher down but then they are so far down I can't much of the road ahead of me and there is a
I feel like I'm missing something but it seems there is no way to adjust them that doesn't cause some glare for other drivers while also having a good view ahead. Has anyone else had issues with this or have I made a mistake somewhere.

Would be curious to know what process you followed.

I used to find that my headlights used to get out of alignment after software updates.

The fix was to make sure that car was parked on level ground (I checked with a spirit level) and let them autocalibrate.

Mines a 2019 though, no matrix headlights

Here’s the self service procedure

However, given your concerns- I would dig out a crisp £10 note and go talk nicely to your local, friendly MOT centre and ask them to use their headlamp testing box to formally adjust and confirm the alignment.

Reactions: M1tch and KennethS
This is the MOT centre or service centre instruction set.

It assumes a Beissbarth Headlight Tester, Model 815 is being used.

This is the MOT centre or service centre instruction set.

It assumes a Beissbarth Headlight Tester, Model 815 is being used.
Thanks, that is the one I followed. I think I've just got used to how they used to be adjusted so they feel very low now but I prefer that to causing glare for other drivers. The thing I'm not a fan of is when the adaptive high beams are active there is quite a large dark gap between where my headlights hit the road and the car I'm following, so you get a very good view of the sides of the road but not the actual road surface ahead.