Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrophobic glass treatment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it ok to use hydrophobic glass treatments on the windows (and the panoramic roof)? I believe they are coated with something else to prevent heating of the interior by the sun and don't want to mess that up. Thanks

There is a metalic coating in-between the two layers of glass to reduce heating/cooling through the window. Many cars use the same process. It's not on the outside of the glass and it's safe to use things like Rain-x or Aquapel.

Thanks. Sorry about the terminology Beavis. Too many years speaking science. I doubted there would be a problem (obviously Rain-X etc would be fine) but some of the newer semi-permanent treatments made me wonder.

I've got Aquapel on all the glass. It makes more difference on the front window than on all the others. At freeway speeds windshield wipers are only necessary in heavy rain or when following a semi-truck or something.

Is Aquapel better than Rain-X?

I believe the claim is that Aquapel lasts longer than Rain-X. I've never tried Aquapel, but have used Rain-X a lot in the past. I did put Aquapel on the Model S a few days back. Sorry, can't give you any more insight than that as it hasn't rained yet. :)

I will say that if you do Aquapel, one application of the little squeegee thing is good for both the front and back glass, but you have to go fast. Instructions say to work in small sections, don't let it dry, and use a paper towel to wipe it off. I found that the all the paper towel did was smear everything around. So my recommendation would be to apply to both front and back, use the paper towel if you want to get any excess that hasn't dried, then use a microfiber towel to get it off. The microfiber towel cleaned up the glass quickly and nicely.

On a related note, I found the Aquapel glass cleaner works better than Invisible Shield to clean the windows.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
About 10 weeks ago I put Aquapel on half of my windshield, and "G Glass Rain Repellent" ("totally green" "ultimate biodegradable" "grown and made in the USA") on the other half.

So far, I like the G Glass. In addition to the "green" claims (which I have not yet made any effort to verify) it was cheaper and easier to apply. However, from online comments, it supposedly doesn't last as long. So far it still seems to be working as well as the Aquapel, though. Both definitely help keep the screen clean, but neither has any chance of negating the need for windshield wipers.

UPDATE Mar 9: I just washed the car, and when I spray water on the windshield, the Aquapel side beads up as the water hits it, whereas the G Glass side sheets - the difference is striking. But when I stop spraying and let it sit for a while, they look awfully similar.

UPDATE Sep 16: Same thing - while spraying water on the glass, G Glass side sheets, and the Aquapel side beads. But stop dumping water on it for 10 seconds, and the two sides look identical. I have not re-applied anything.

Both sides did require a bit of rubbing with a paper towel to get the haze off; perhaps that was made worse by low temperatures at the time I applied it. I will try a microfiber towel next time.

Last edited:
The best coating could be "superoleophobic."
Look at that:
The Official Ultra-Ever Dry Product Video - Superhydrophobic and oleophobic coating - YouTube
But I am skeptical if you can use it on cars.

It should not be used on cars.

Ultra-ever dry is an awesome product for coating things like shoes, gloves, and other surfaces... unfortunately, it's not completely transparent yet. It leaves a white translucent coating, as the review below also notes.

Ultra Ever Dry Review - Does it Do What It Advertises?

It should not be used on cars.

Ultra-ever dry is an awesome product for coating things like shoes, gloves, and other surfaces... unfortunately, it's not completely transparent yet. It leaves a white translucent coating, as the review below also notes.

Ultra Ever Dry Review - Does it Do What It Advertises?

Thanks for your advise.
If it's no 100% transperant we should not use it on cars. In the video we can see that the shoes have another color with the coating.

Here in Germany there are a lot of companies that sell an "nano coating". But they do the job for you. You bring your car an they will coat it, because at home you can not make that.
I have not such a coating on my car. Other users reported that this last only a half or one year, as well.

I have not such a coating on my car. Other users reported that this last only a half or one year, as well.

Correct. It is just a coating, bound to the surface. Abrasion causes it to weaken. If you apply it to a jacket or some other piece of clothing, it will come off after a few cycles in the clothes washer.

A coating for windshields is a lot more difficult since it has to be transparent, ability to be abraded by windshield wipers constantly and have no glare/hazing/odd reflections that might interfere with visibility. Lots of new coatings coming to market. The neverwet looks amazing, I'm sure there's a lot of uses where that could save tons of money on washing industrial equipment and aircraft, wonder how it does with graffiti.