Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to find details of software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real problem is that the release notes aren't release notes, but 'comments that Tesla deems to pass on to us'. :D Real release notes would be probably 20 pages. And we would welcome every one!

Yea boaterva, you bring up a good point and a true one. While most people probably understand that "release notes" are just a short summary of the more significant changes that Tesla wants you to know about, for years I have heard from a lot of people with comments like "You mean that is all the hell you folks have implemented in the last 6 weeks?" :) So you also realize that the man behind the curtain has a lot of details about what is really in a release, and it is a lot more than mentioned in the notes.

Having said that, I can say that over the decades, I have seen many companies use the term of "release notes" as to what they want to convey to the customer just in the way that Tesla uses the term, so not unusual. In my company years ago that is the term we used. Since selling and being a consultant, I've seen terms all over the map at different companies and even at different geographic locations. Some companies even make up their own terms rather than use industry terms. Most of my clients currently use the term of release notes to convey what you see in the Tesla. We use the term Errata sheets for a more complete "general" description of what is released, then the gillions of pages that you refer to is what we call a "build spec" that is internal to the company.

Again, your mileage may vary :) Bottom line.... you got it. There is a lot more going on than what's in the notes :D

Reactions: boaterva
If you get a software update, minor as well as major, will you get notification that it's available?

My Model S is normally in a condo building garage where there is no wifi. One time I had a notice that a software update was available, so I set up a mobile hotspot on my iPhone and put it in the car to download and install the update. That worked fine.

But that was at the end of December and I've seen nothing since. I am beginning to wonder?

If you get a software update, minor as well as major, will you get notification that it's available?

My Model S is normally in a condo building garage where there is no wifi. One time I had a notice that a software update was available, so I set up a mobile hotspot on my iPhone and put it in the car to download and install the update. That worked fine.

But that was at the end of December and I've seen nothing since. I am beginning to wonder?
You always get a notification when you have a update available.
If you get a message that a update is available, it is already downloaded to your car and ready to install. No need to connect to WiFi at that point.

I’m not connected to WiFi either. Updates will come over LTE as well, but usually takes a bit longer to show up than when you are connected to WiFi, so have some patience and I’m sure it’ll come soon.

I'e been told by the Tesla service team that anytime a Tesla comes within their free wifi hotspot around the showroom and service area, then the car will download the update automatically.

I'e been told by the Tesla service team that anytime a Tesla comes within their free wifi hotspot around the showroom and service area, then the car will download the update automatically.
Nope. Not any longer. That used to be the case. Now it needs to be on a work order. This was changed to stop all of us parking outside the Service Centers. Seriously.

If they told you that recently, they are really out of date on their info.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Some companies provide considerably information in their release notes - not only the features & bug fixes in the release, but also the major issues that haven't yet been addressed. nVidia does this with their driver releases. If you know where to look, you can also get much of this information for Microsoft's software updates.

While Tesla provides release notes with each release, often then release notes are something like "minor changes and bug fixes".

For AP2, it would be very helpful for Tesla to provide more information on the status of that software - what is changed in each release, what they believe is working safely, and functionality that hasn't been implemented or adequately tested.

Since we don't have that, we're all guessing at what changes are being made in each release...

If it's the same update that we get it while being at home on wifi...not sure what's the benefit of being around the service center. Am I missing something?

If it's the same update that we get it while being at home on wifi...not sure what's the benefit of being around the service center. Am I missing something?

The idea was that by getting within a geofenced area close to a service center, you could force your car to check for a new software update immediately.

But as pointed out above, this hasn't been true for quite awhile (around the time of 8.0) so it's now kind of a moot point.

Bruce.

Right. Apparently your car will still send a message to Tesla that says "I've entered a geofenced service center". Before in 7.1 days, this would result in Tesla automatically pushing your car the latest update even if it hasn't gone wide yet. But then around the time of 8.0, a major publication advertised this capability, and Tesla stopped pushing updates this way. Now, nothing happens when you enter a service center geofence. Your car still sends a message, but the mothership doesn't do anything in response.

Nope. Not any longer. That used to be the case. Now it needs to be on a work order. This was changed to stop all of us parking outside the Service Centers. Seriously.

If they told you that recently, they are really out of date on their info.
Yup and there was another problem..... the car being inactive for a period of time while attempting to be serviced before service personal could get in the car and block the update.