Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it's not just MCU1 cars affected. Model 3 and Y are too. In any case, I'd probably just buy a cheap mobile hotspot and put a Lebara SIM in it before I'd consider spending £1400 on the MCU2 upgrade. At the moment I just always put my mobile in hotspot mode when I get in the car. I never get through all 15GB of data on my contract anyway.
I'm chasing a problem we have with Track Mode in the Model 3 but it only affects Intel Atom-based models. Ryzen works OK.
When I spoke to them about they suggested there may be a link between that and the connectivity issue. I'm not convinced of that myself, but there's a possibility.
So just because it's a M3/MY doesn't mean it's not related to the MCU/GPU.
Has anyone compiled a list of affected owners with details of the model of car & GPU affected and locations/timestamps where it happened?

Sometimes you just have to do some of the work for them if you want something fixed...

Mine is on and off at present. A week can go by and be fine, but then another week I have to reset multiple times. I haven’t heard anything since my last call with a "manager" from Tesla. I currently have an open service request for a few other things, but i will also ask again and push for a better response. I was thinking of obtaining a separate sim card and phone to keep in the car and hotspot from and run a bill from that and sent to Tesla.

A few times recently it has been a right pain not having connectivity, especially with this hot weather and not being able to pre-condition. Arrived at a destination where we were having lunch, and the connectivity seemed fine when we go there. I plugged in at a public charge point, set it up and was charging and left for about an hour while we ate. Checked the charge while we were eating and alas no connectivity! Got back to the car hoping to have about an extra 40-50 miles….nope. Only 2 miles had been added and for some reason the charging stopped. Luckily it wasn’t imperative we had that charge, it was just a nice to have rather than paying for parking. But still very annoying.

This lack of connectivity is not making the owning experience of the car very pleasant as many of the functions to use are redundant when you don’t have connectivity.

This lack of connectivity is not making the owning experience of the car very pleasant as many of the functions to use are redundant when you don’t have connectivity.
I used to use YouTube Music on Android Auto via my Phone's connection, it allowed you to have offline playlists for times when you lost connectivity.

Would be good if Spotify could do the same with the USB drive.

I'm chasing a problem we have with Track Mode in the Model 3 but it only affects Intel Atom-based models. Ryzen works OK.
When I spoke to them about they suggested there may be a link between that and the connectivity issue. I'm not convinced of that myself, but there's a possibility.
So just because it's a M3/MY doesn't mean it's not related to the MCU/GPU.
Has anyone compiled a list of affected owners with details of the model of car & GPU affected and locations/timestamps where it happened?

Sometimes you just have to do some of the work for them if you want something fixed...
mine is Ryzen.

But issue I think is with esim and way it jumps between the towers. remember - operator is dutch and all cars in uk essentially operate on roaming..

mine is Ryzen.

But issue I think is with esim and way it jumps between the towers. remember - operator is dutch and all cars in uk essentially operate on roaming..
Looking back at some of the posts it doesn't seem clear cut between Atom and Ryzen, for sure, but having as much information as possible can't hurt. Ultimately, Tesla have the most data and if they haven't been able to see a pattern, I can't see how they're going to fix it, especially if it's a problem with the operator.

Looking back at some of the posts it doesn't seem clear cut between Atom and Ryzen, for sure, but having as much information as possible can't hurt. Ultimately, Tesla have the most data and if they haven't been able to see a pattern, I can't see how they're going to fix it, especially if it's a problem with the operator.
change esim operator... :/

Reactions: Roy Batty
Mine's an Intel Atom car, I thought it had been narrowed down to the way the eSIM hope between masts, on the specific frequency it uses.

I don't think chipset has much to do with it given I'm on MCU1 (Tegra) with a physical SIM (not eSIM) and 4G LTE modem. I suppose it might be interesting to see if there are any Tesla's that are not affected by this issue. But you'd hope Tesla have collated that information by now.

I think we've just got to keep pestering Tesla and update/raise support requests with all the data.

Is anyone experiencing similar issues with any other device or car? I have mentioned it previously but my iphone (With Sky Mobile) has issues in certain locations. Annoying in my local town I have full 4G signal but nothing loads, a very similar issue with the Tesla.

I don’t have any experience with other electric cars, or other “connected” cars which utilise the 4G networks so it would be interesting to see if this is just a Tesla issue, or is it more widespread.