Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink Stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you say "no homelink".

You mean UI gone?
Home Link Menu didn't automatically pop up?
It didn't automatically open the door?
You clicked Open and it didn't open?
In this instance, I mean homelink wouldn't work. It wasn't sending the signal and the signal icon wasn't present when you pressed homelink.

I have also had the homelink settings option disappear, but not this time.

This morning I put the car in gear and went to pull out and the garage door tried to close on the car.

I am growing tired of this thing half working.

In this instance, I mean homelink wouldn't work. It wasn't sending the signal and the signal icon wasn't present when you pressed homelink.

I have also had the homelink settings option disappear, but not this time.

This morning I put the car in gear and went to pull out and the garage door tried to close on the car.

I am growing tired of this thing half working.

Oh dear. That's why I never trusted the Automatic option since day one (I've done a lot of programming with GPS). I even have an option in my software to ignore GPS for first 2 minutes after I start it before it makes a critical decision.

Say your GPS position jumps to a location 100 feet away, just for a moment (might not even show on the screen because it's so quick). The car suddenly thinks you've left and sends out the close door command. It has to send the close command fairly soon before you're out of range to close it. But GPS sometimes, especially when parked in the garage, often isn't so good until you've been in clear sky for a minute or so. It's an accident waiting to happen.

GPS quality always varies (depends on SATs in range), and always worse, when not under clear sky.

Some folks I know use the automatic open, but never the automatic close.

So if it works good sometimes and not others I think it's the variability in GPS accuracy (especially during startup in the garage). Coming home should be stable. The code might need more work to "validate" your position before sending a close command. Like it's very doubtful you moved 100ft in 1 sec when the Speedometer in the car is 3 mph in reverse. But if it's too strict you might come home see you left the garage door open all day.

Reactions: Dogtone
Some folks I know use the automatic open, but never the automatic close.

I only have auto-open enabled. Auto-close has been off for ~6 months because this has happened to me before several times when i try to back into the garage after washing the car in front of the garage door.

Today I was backed into the garage like always and just put the car into drive and it tried to close the garage door on top of the car.

I've reported this homelink stuff several times and they act like they cant troubleshoot it remotely and that is as far as it goes.

I haven really trouble shot it much, but this am when i click on the garage and tried to close it, i got no wifi looking image showing the signal being sent. it just kinda didnt do do anything nor did it close the door.

anyone have this issue? i assume to just delete and re add i guess?
me too! glad to know I'm not the only one. which means it can easily be fixed by SW.

I only have auto-open enabled. Auto-close has been off for ~6 months because this has happened to me before several times when i try to back into the garage after washing the car in front of the garage door.

Today I was backed into the garage like always and just put the car into drive and it tried to close the garage door on top of the car.

I've reported this homelink stuff several times and they act like they cant troubleshoot it remotely and that is as far as it goes.

I wonder if there are separate commands for open and close vs a toggle (close if open, open if close). Because if you only had auto open, you'd think it would be pretty simple to never send a close command. But if it's a dumb toggle it might have thought it was opening, but it was closing. If it is a toggle they shouldn't even offer it as auto option. Because it has no feedback it has to assume/track when it thinks it's opened or closed, and it's too easy to get out of sync.

I wonder if there are separate commands for open and close vs a toggle (close if open, open if close). Because if you only had auto open, you'd think it would be pretty simple to never send a close command. But if it's a dumb toggle it might have thought it was opening, but it was closing. If it is a toggle they shouldn't even offer it as auto option. Because it has no feedback it has to assume/track when it thinks it's opened or closed, and it's too easy to get out of sync.
Yea, it just sends the same command unfortunately. No way to send an open or close command. My garage door opener is a 'smart opener' where it has an app for control and it knows the open/closed state, so the logic is there, but Tesla can't get that info or hasn't implemented at this point I suppose.

Yea, it just sends the same command unfortunately. No way to send an open or close command. My garage door opener is a 'smart opener' where it has an app for control and it knows the open/closed state, so the logic is there, but Tesla can't get that info or hasn't implemented at this point I suppose.

How do you know it's the same command? I guess it must be since the clickers don't know if it's opened or closed either and only have a single button. So by definition it's one command.

I will NEVER use that function !!

Happened first time to me while leaving yesterday. The auto homelink was displaying on the screen but the garage didn't close and touching the screen did nothing.

I did a reboot of the car and a couple minutes later it was back to working again.

Annoying.

Thinking about this a little more.

Your car is in the garage for a while. You get in and “start” the car (hit the brake). It could easily have a poor GPS fix a block away. As you drive out it gets a good/better GPS fix. It thinks you just arrived home and sends a door command to change the doors state (closes it). It doesn’t know if the door is up or down. Boom. I often click the button to open the door on the wall as I enter the garage.

You're depending on GPS to change the doors state regardless if it’s up or down (because it doesn’t really know).

So I just had this heated debate with a buddy of mine on how safe this is to use.
He uses Auto Open AND Auto Close and says it's been flawless for 9 months.

So we are both guessing somewhat of how this blackbox works and we both agreed that it might be that's it's actually more robust to have Auto Close ON, believe it not. I was always thinking Auto Open only would be safer. Here is why.

The reason is Auto Open uses GPS (which can be glitchy sometimes, especially at start up in the garage).
Auto Close (when leaving) does not use GPS.
So when you leave it's in "Auto Close" mode and it won't close the door until it thinks you are 30 feet away (distance is counted down on the screen). It uses the cars tire rotation to measure distance, not GPS. It won't "arm" Auto Open until the Auto Close has run its course.

So by using the more reliable distance method for Auto Close it will never do anything without being 30 feet away. Including Auto Open (which it can occasionally get wrong) but that won't get armed until it's done with Auto Close.

I still won't use it in either mode though.

yesterday drive to corner store: NO Homelink! had to use standard receiver to open and close door
drive back home: Homelink! works opens and closes door.

today the reverse:

drive to a Friend: Homelink works! opens and closes door.
drive back home: NO Homelink, had to use standard receiver to open and close door

So now I have to call the Butler to open the door, just in case Homelink does not work... Yikes!

Last edited: