Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gwynne Shotwell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enjoyed watching that video when it was available, but then I always enjoy hearing Gywnne talk. However, I didn’t hear anything fundamentally new from her. She leaves the surprise announcements and big news items to Elon, and I think she is very careful in that regard.

There were a few new shots in the SpaceX highlights video that she showed. I wish I could watch that again.

Reactions: Grendal
I think she mentioned a BFR (E2E) flight is expected to cost a few thousand per seat. I hadn't heard that before, and I wonder if there will be enough demand for the convenience at the price.

Anyway I'm glad I caught it while it was up.
If it's that cheap, nobody's going to have any interest in supersonic aircraft travel and everyone who's investing money in that today is going to regret it.

If it's that cheap, nobody's going to have any interest in supersonic aircraft travel and everyone who's investing money in that today is going to regret it.

At a few thousand per seat, that'll be a ticket people will buy that don't care beans about going to the other side of the globe. They just want to get up to the edge of space.

That price will get the joy ride crowd, the business travel crowd. Heck - it'll get me :). I'll even go big and pay for the round trip to get back home!

Reactions: croman
Thank you for posting Gwynne Shotewell's recent talk - I try to listen to what she has to say.

This one seems to be meant to inspire and recruit female software engineers, which makes the questions doubly interesting, I think.

There are great dangers in selectively quoting, but I expect most thread participants have an inkling about that.

Just two, and yes, you should be interested in the context as it may change the picture drawn!

"I age with every launch."
"Next year, we're going to be China." [Regarding number of launches.] [Also, roughly, "They're really good at this, and you should take inspiration from the best."]

Elon Musk originally proposed to invest 10 million USD in SpaceX to finance a launch - she made it a condition he up that to 50 for her to join, thinking it would take 70. It ended up costing 75. That's a precision landing.

Last edited:
esp. from 5:34 seconds and at around 20 min.
[email protected]
(izzat the email?)
(asking for potential granddaughters)
(wish they had included the grasshopper video tho)
That is what I heard!
I would be very interested to see how this diversity conference at SpaceX turns out. She said she was crowdsourcing ideas through that email and eventual conference (with tours) in Hawthorne. Shame I'm not that diverse, or young...

A few followers on here might be familiar with this timely story I excerpted from an old CNN article.

"When SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket finally reached the launch pad in 2018, after years of delays, Musk repeatedly suggested the rocket could explode. "People [came] from all around the world," he told CNN Business, "to see what will either be a great rocket launch or the best fireworks display they've ever seen."
The casual mentions of a potential explosion spooked one of SpaceX's customers, Bloomberg reported last year. Shotwell flew to Saudi Arabia to meet with the customer, ArabSat, which had reserved a Falcon Heavy flight, to assure them it would be a reliable vehicle."

Judging by the events of this past Thursday, she's taken care of business.

I just took a look at Gwynne's Wiki page. Caught my eye. She was born on November 23, 1963. The day after that day.

Thanks for posting that IAC 2019 video. Even though the quality was poor the audio was understandable.

Gwynne wasn’t given much time to talk, nor did the interviewer ask many questions, but she did lay out a Starship timeline that was very interesting:

“Aspirationally” SpaceX wants to get Starship to orbit in 2020, land on Moon with cargo before 2022 with “resources” for manned landing on the Moon by 2024, “trip around the Moon in the 2023 timeframe”. And of course ultimately take people to Mars though she gave no date.

"SpaceX's Shotwell takes aim at Blue Origin. At the Baron Fund's annual investment conference in New York City, SpaceX President and Chief Operating Officer Gwynne Shotwell was asked why Blue Origin has not achieved what SpaceX has in orbit. "They're two years older than us, and they have yet to reach orbit," Shotwell noted, according to CNBC. "They have a billion dollars of free money every year."

Not really holding back ... "I think engineers think better when they're pushed hardest to do great things in a very short period of time, with very few resources. Not when you have 20 years," Shotwell said. "I don't think there's a motivation or a drive there." Pretty much everyone in the aerospace industry respects Gwynne Shotwell, which makes these comments extra significant."

Hey, that's what I always say: Basically, money makes you stupid. Without the pressure of having to perform quickly and efficiently, people don't. The interesting thing to me is that Bezos runs both Amazon and Blue Origin. It makes me wonder how much Amazon's hyper growth was simply trying to keep up with demand and how much was pushing the company to grow faster?

From: Rocket Report: Russia plans a mini Falcon 9; Shotwell takes aim at Blue

Several days after DM-2 had successfully docked with the ISS, Gwynne shared her gratitude with all SpaceX employees. She also included her thoughts on acknowledging racial inequalities and SpaceX's continuous efforts to remain a discrimination free workplace.

Date: Jun. 3, 2020 [Ed: time stamp redacted]
To: Everyone
Subj. Demo 2 and Changing the World

SpaceX Team,

On Sunday, SpaceX successfully delivered its first humans, NASA Astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the international Space Station. I hope each of you takes great pride in this extraordinary accomplishment. Until now, only three countries – Russia, the United States and China – have achieved the feat. Your commitment to the safe passage of ‘The Dads’ has required perseverance, sacrifice and a pursuit of a better, more exciting future. I truly believe there is no other group of people that could have made this happen – thank you and congratulations on the mission success thus far.

In speaking of trying to attain a better future, we must acknowledge the current reality. The death of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and so many more highlight the difficulties that communities of color face. These events are troubling. If you are struggling personally or would like to talk to someone, please reach out to your HR Rep, or visit our benefits page to learn about resources provided by Lyra Health and other services. It is ok (and encouraged) to take a moment, or the time you need, to deal with this.

I want to ensure that SpaceX is a place where these difficulties are recognized and certainly a place where bias and discrimination are not tolerated. I will be meeting with our African American employees this week so that we can have more in-depth conversations about their experiences at work and discuss what we can do to improve. I want to meet with others that want to help in this regard. Please send requests to Brian Weir [Ed: Executive Assistant to the COO], Brian Bjelde [Ed: VP of Human Resources], or our Manager of Diversity and Inclusion Jamin Gallman. We will collect good ideas, achievements and misses on this page. [Ed: Link redacted] It will also highlight organizations and opportunities to support this broader community.

Thank you for all your contributions and personal sacrifices that make SpaceX a tremendous success. Congrats on the historic launch and docking of the still ongoing DM-2 mission. And thank you in advance for your continued support in making SpaceX a place where all people can do excellent work, buoyed by the support and teamwork of their fellow employees.

Let’s keep doing our best work and accelerate our goal of making humanity multi-planetary.

-- g

p.s. A few of you have asked about the button I was wearing during launch. It’s based on a quote by Harriet Tubman that says “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”