Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Magna Steyr both made
Are they the same underneath? Is this how BMW is bringing the ix drive 5 to market so quickly? Taking over the Ocean assembly, underbody with a new BMW top?
IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0865.jpeg

Almost identical

When I bought my Model 3 in 2019, I was very nervous about it. New company, small player, lots of new tech etc. But despite some minor software glitches, it all worked out fine and Tesla have continued to lead, by a huge margin, the rest of the market in software; whether that be features, quality, back-end reliability, performance, ability to roll out changes, UI, or many other things. Many of us here beat them up, but they do many things much better than the rest.

This was brought home to me during our experience with my wife’s ID3 - decent hardware engineering, but the software was (and still is) atrocious. Like Fisker, VW’s launch of the ID3 was rushed, especially in terms of the software (car and back-end). The car’s software in particular was way short of being stable enough for the mass market. But unlike Fisker they had the size and resources to get through it.
This is it. I have said and will say again, the Fisker Ocean from a hardware and build point of view is very well put together. As you would expect from a Magna built car.

The software is woeful and they don't have the size in the software dev team to get it up to scratch quickly enough. The software roll out was an absolute joke for the last OTA update.

The whole experience for me has nailed home exactly how good Tesla are from an overall point of view.

Magna Steyr both made
Are they the same underneath? Is this how BMW is bringing the ix drive 5 to market so quickly? Taking over the Ocean assembly, underbody with a new BMW top?
View attachment 1046891
View attachment 1046892

Almost identical
Quite possibly. Obviously when Fisker paused production, it was initially for 6 weeks. Magna sent out an view for the remainder of the year which showed no further Fisker production in their outlook. That coupled with the loss of 500 staff as a result.

The nissan leaf was prone to that.. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a feature of a certain type of regen/braking combination.

Never seen anything similar with a Tesla going over the same bumps.

My first EV, Soul 1st Gen, did exactly the same. Scared the absolute crap out of me as I thought it was going to cause an accident. Braked towards some traffic lights and there were potholes and the braking stopped and it shot forward aiming at the bumper of the car in front.

No other car I've owned was ever like that. None of the EVs since have done it either. It must be a side effect of very poor ABS/Traction control system.

Crap software in cars is a major problem. More owners really need to get tough and reject cars that don't work properly. Manufacturers seem to be very prone to releasing cars with features that don't work properly and just shrugging when owners complain.

When I bought my Model 3 in 2019, I was very nervous about it. New company, small player, lots of new tech etc. But despite some minor software glitches, it all worked out fine and Tesla have continued to lead, by a huge margin, the rest of the market in software; whether that be features, quality, back-end reliability, performance, ability to roll out changes, UI, or many other things. Many of us here beat them up, but they do many things much better than the rest.

This was brought home to me during our experience with my wife’s ID3 - decent hardware engineering, but the software was (and still is) atrocious. Like Fisker, VW’s launch of the ID3 was rushed, especially in terms of the software (car and back-end). The car’s software in particular was way short of being stable enough for the mass market. But unlike Fisker they had the size and resources to get through it.
2019 wasn’t even bad.

At that point they had successfully delivered the first roadster, model S and model X. Not new company or tech. Only issue was would they survive the ramp up to launch the model 3.

Reactions: Sean.
My first EV, Soul 1st Gen, did exactly the same. Scared the absolute crap out of me as I thought it was going to cause an accident. Braked towards some traffic lights and there were potholes and the braking stopped and it shot forward aiming at the bumper of the car in front.
Jesus, I bet that was scary. It's not right and needs to be an area for standardisation across the EV market.

You had very little risk in Tesla *product* at that point in time. S and X had been about for 5+ years in the case of S and were well shaken down.

The real risk at the time was that Tesla could survive the cashflow crisis.
I see what you’re saying (and I guess that’s what convinced to take the plunge), but compared to the big German marques, it was still a gamble. There were legions of people at that time who thought Tesla would go under.

Quite possibly. Obviously when Fisker paused production, it was initially for 6 weeks. Magna sent out an view for the remainder of the year which showed no further Fisker production in their outlook. That coupled with the loss of 500 staff as a result.
Indeed, not sure how the company can really be saved at this point. They have cars they cannot shift but even if they can, the people that manufacture the car for them has laid off all the staff. Highly unlikely if Fisker goes back to them to ask for more to be built they'll entertain that idea so effectively the Ocean is done, no more are ever going to be made.

Reactions: Sean.

No other car I've owned was ever like that. None of the EVs since have done it either. It must be a side effect of very poor ABS/Traction control system.

Crap software in cars is a major problem. More owners really need to get tough and reject cars that don't work properly. Manufacturers seem to be very prone to releasing cars with features that don't work properly and just shrugging when owners complain.
I think the laws need to tighter on this. Yes they exist but unless you are prepared to take a company to court, they frankly don't care and aren't interested in following them.

A car is a complex piece of machinery that can also be very dangerous, this whole ship them quickly and fix all the issues later shouldn't be allowed. Yes fine to say do a Tesla and ship with Matrix headlights and enable later but don't do the Lotus approach and ship with Matrix headlights that clearly don't block out other cars, shine high beams into other drivers eyes and is a pain to keep trying to override. If you ship a feature that is safety critical, it needs to work at point of sale.

Last edited:
Indeed, not sure how the company can really be saved at this point. They have cars they cannot shift but even if they can, the people that manufacture the car for them has laid off all the staff. Highly unlikely if Fisker goes back to them to ask for more to be built they'll entertain that idea so effectively the Ocean is done, no more are ever going to be made.
The folks at Magna Steyr would want up front full pre-payment if production was ever to restart. Quite simply unless a miracle happens Fisker are in absolutely no position to provide that.

They have broken their banking covenants and are in dire financial straights now. It cannot be very long before they're forced to go into Chapter 11.

This is it. I have said and will say again, the Fisker Ocean from a hardware and build point of view is very well put together. As you would expect from a Magna built car.

The software is woeful and they don't have the size in the software dev team to get it up to scratch quickly enough. The software roll out was an absolute joke for the last OTA update.

The whole experience for me has nailed home exactly how good Tesla are from an overall point of view.
The issue with legacy automakers and “software” is that they essentially cobble together various systems, whereas Tesla use a single integrated firmware structure and then also set up the software themselves. To be fair, this is easier to do for an EV than an ICE.

We sell chips directly to Tesla of their own specs. And also to auto module makers who put together the systems for legacy auto companies, where there is e.g., a Bosch chassis control system, a Panasonic infotainment system, and a CATL BMS system.

The Chinese are now also using Tesla’s approach but aren’t there yet.

The folks at Magna Steyr would want up front full pre-payment if production was ever to restart. Quite simply unless a miracle happens Fisker are in absolutely no position to provide that.

They have broken their banking covenants and are in dire financial straights now. It cannot be very long before they're forced to go into Chapter 11.
Well even so, that would have to cover rehiring staff, training them again and so on with a minimum order size to be worthwhile. As you say, it's out of reach for Fisker so even if somehow they are saved, I just cannot see that means they'll make more Oceans. Which begs why they continue to work on the software for it either unless they think they'd reuse it for other cars. I cannot think anyone would want to buy that software when it's known to be so buggy and bad.