Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, my patience is wearing a bit thin. I have an early vin 85 (P6273) with all of the options less the child seats. Up until 7.0, the NAV, Cabin Heat and wipers worked pretty well. After three versions of 7.x (now at 2.9.154) the cabin heating had returned to the almost no heat of the 1st version 7.0, I have to drive around with the setpoint at 78°F to make it even close to 70°F. In all of the 7.x versions my high sensitivity wiper setting is just like low, no difference. Also, the NAV speech clips off the last 1 to 2 seconds on about 1/2 of the notices (At exit 91 turn...). Also the dash turn-by-turn keeps Zooming in and out and the map flashes (goes blank then redraws the map). Now at this latest version the NAV also places the car about 100 yards from where it really is, all while driving in open spaces, no local buildings to shield the signal. This causes it to continuously tell me to make a U turn. Alter about 15 minutes of this it finds itself. This happens about a 3rd of the time I use the NAV.

Yes, I've reset the displays, both, several times. I'm not a newby as I've had the car for almost 3 years now and driven it 43,279 miles.

This current version is the most buggy yet and it needs to be fixed. It's really nice that the P85D car now have a Launch mode, but I want Heat, a NAV that works and a Wiper that works!

I sent a disgruntled email to the service hot line and the local service department in Seattle set me an email saying to bring it in, not sure what they can do unless they want to write the firmware fix themselves as it seams Tesla is not interested in fixing all of the bugs people have found recently.

You should probably start emailing and tweeting Elon Musk, because unfortunately, I think he's the one behind the absurd shift in priorities and everyone else is just following his mandate.

Still waiting for restoration of temperature on the main screen (I use this *constantly* in the weird near-freezing weather we've been getting) and restoring the high-contrast (low constrast is a safety issue). It would also be nice if Tesla fixed some of the bugs which were reported in February of 2013, such as the media player's lack of gapless playback. Tesla is not prioritizing software development correctly.

Still waiting for restoration of temperature on the main screen (I use this *constantly* in the weird near-freezing weather we've been getting) and restoring the high-contrast (low constrast is a safety issue). It would also be nice if Tesla fixed some of the bugs which were reported in February of 2013, such as the media player's lack of gapless playback. Tesla is not prioritizing software development correctly.
put in clock icon on right side of speedometer, it includes temp, but i guess its more fun to complain

Just thought I would let everyone know there is an update coming soon. How do I know? I'm about to head out to Colorado for a ten day ski trip. Every time I leave home for more than five days, I get an update notice through the app and get to sit and wait until I get home to load it.

Thus the update notices will hit sometime before Feb 16.

Just remember - you heard it here first.

Ok, my patience is wearing a bit thin. I have an early vin 85 (P6273) with all of the options less the child seats. Up until 7.0, the NAV, Cabin Heat and wipers worked pretty well. After three versions of 7.x (now at 2.9.154) the cabin heating had returned to the almost no heat of the 1st version 7.0, I have to drive around with the setpoint at 78°F to make it even close to 70°F. In all of the 7.x versions my high sensitivity wiper setting is just like low, no difference. Also, the NAV speech clips off the last 1 to 2 seconds on about 1/2 of the notices (At exit 91 turn...). Also the dash turn-by-turn keeps Zooming in and out and the map flashes (goes blank then redraws the map). Now at this latest version the NAV also places the car about 100 yards from where it really is, all while driving in open spaces, no local buildings to shield the signal. This causes it to continuously tell me to make a U turn. Alter about 15 minutes of this it finds itself. This happens about a 3rd of the time I use the NAV.

Yes, I've reset the displays, both, several times. I'm not a newby as I've had the car for almost 3 years now and driven it 43,279 miles.

This current version is the most buggy yet and it needs to be fixed. It's really nice that the P85D car now have a Launch mode, but I want Heat, a NAV that works and a Wiper that works!

I sent a disgruntled email to the service hot line and the local service department in Seattle set me an email saying to bring it in, not sure what they can do unless they want to write the firmware fix themselves as it seams Tesla is not interested in fixing all of the bugs people have found recently.

That decribes my experience. I would add that the NAV is pretty much useless given the inability to set waypoints and its insistence on picking the most idiotic route to most of my destinations.

That decribes my experience. I would add that the NAV is pretty much useless given the inability to set waypoints and its insistence on picking the most idiotic route to most of my destinations.

Clearly Musk has no interest whatsoever to improve the core navigation and media experience. Maybe if Musk used waypoints, we would have waypoints. His wife/ex-wife/wife Talulah wanted a calendar in the car, so it shall be done! Obviously Musk has no need for antiquated playlists or anything like that. When the Supercharger rollout began to gain steam, priority was put on Superchargers along Elon Musk's nostalgic drive with his kids to re-enact a drive he took when he was younger. Not necessarily where they were needed the most. Yup, it's clear how Tesla determines its priorities and it seems the investors and the rest of the world are finally catching on...

Reluctantly updated to 7.1 over the weekend in anticipation of upcoming annual service. Figured I might as well control my own destiny.

New software is definitely messing up my HVAC... as discussed. Drive to work was unnecessarily chilly (despite preconditioning) and the windshield was fogging over after about 10 minutes. Put on the front defroster-- couldn't even hear it!! Whereas before it would go on pretty high fan speed immediately. Also, only lights up blue now? I couldn't get it to light up red like before when it would toggle off/blue/red.

Then my wipers randomly wiped NOTHING and smeared around whatever invisible road goo was there so that now it bothers me. Uh... thanks?

On a positive note, my efficiency appears to be way up. The wh/mile numbers I've getting are lower than I've EVER seen before. Ever. Will have to see if that persists or not. Daily charge still giving me same rated range, but on return home the miles "used" actually tracks with miles driven... as opposed to the 2:1 ratio I was accustomed to when blasting about town. Maybe tires won't wear as fast either. And my car will say cleaner. And my unicorn won't mess up its stall. And.. And..

Reluctantly updated to 7.1 over the weekend in anticipation of upcoming annual service. Figured I might as well control my own destiny.

New software is definitely messing up my HVAC... as discussed. Drive to work was unnecessarily chilly (despite preconditioning) and the windshield was fogging over after about 10 minutes. Put on the front defroster-- couldn't even hear it!! Whereas before it would go on pretty high fan speed immediately. Also, only lights up blue now? I couldn't get it to light up red like before when it would toggle off/blue/red.

In Florida I have my HVAC set to 70 or at least I have in the past. When heading out in the early morning with the temp around 53F I'm feeling cool air blow on my face. If I want heat I have to up the control to about 80. Of course your efficiency is up, you're not running the heater at all!

Then my wipers randomly wiped NOTHING and smeared around whatever invisible road goo was there so that now it bothers me. Uh... thanks?

On a positive note, my efficiency appears to be way up. The wh/mile numbers I've getting are lower than I've EVER seen before. Ever. Will have to see if that persists or not. Daily charge still giving me same rated range, but on return home the miles "used" actually tracks with miles driven... as opposed to the 2:1 ratio I was accustomed to when blasting about town. Maybe tires won't wear as fast either. And my car will say cleaner. And my unicorn won't mess up its stall. And.. And..

Did you reboot both screens after the update?

Service installed the latest update a couple of weeks ago when I had it in for annual service. I had no issues with heat before, now the heater blows cold air and only feels warm when I turn it up to 80 degrees. I wonder, does anyone at Tesla test the software before it is released? How on earth am I supposed to recommend anyone buy this car when it can't even provide heat when needed?

In Florida I have my HVAC set to 70 or at least I have in the past. When heading out in the early morning with the temp around 53F I'm feeling cool air blow on my face. If I want heat I have to up the control to about 80. Of course your efficiency is up, you're not running the heater at all!
We've noticed the same as others. My wife wanted to know why a car left sitting out in 50 degree weather, when set to 75*, was still blowing freezing cold air 10 minutes into our drive. I cranked it up into the 80s and the heat came on, but clearly they've messed up the climate control settings.

How on earth am I supposed to recommend anyone buy this car when it can't even provide heat when needed?

It can provide heat, it just doesn't do so at what you consider a reasonable set temp. I generally agree that it shouldn't require the driver cranking it up to get the heat to come on, but your statement is misleading. I wonder if this more conservative algorithm ever works better - if there's a situation where the temperature differential inside and out aren't great enough to warrant the energy used to get the resistance heater hot fast. Obviously it's going to take some work because it's user-intensive now.