Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticing definite increase in torque sleep in P85D on .167 but keep in mind I came from .139 so some or all of these improvements could have been in .140. I only ran a short test but my energy consumption graph dipped much lower than it ever has and stayed lower overall. Very apparent.

Nothing definitive from me either, but I actually went for a pretty spirited short drive a little bit ago (a trip I make often). Didn't precondition, hopped in and left, blasted the heat at 75F (35F outside)... did at least 3 or 4 launches to ~60 from 0... arrived home ~460 Wi/mi. I've done the same a few times, and I'm lucky to stay under 525Wh/mi even after preheating and such (even on .140).

I'll see how things go after some more driving, probably tomorrow.

ok, latest update to iOS app appears to now work. VT still doesn't (5.04)
Ok, ignore me - I had a completely unrelated router issue. Still works like a charm once I reset the router - lol

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing definitive from me either, but I actually went for a pretty spirited short drive a little bit ago (a trip I make often). Didn't precondition, hopped in and left, blasted the heat at 75F (35F outside)... did at least 3 or 4 launches to ~60 from 0... arrived home ~460 Wi/mi. I've done the same a few times, and I'm lucky to stay under 525Wh/mi even after preheating and such (even on .140).

I'll see how things go after some more driving, probably tomorrow.

I was VERY surprised today how little energy I used on a very spirited 50 miles. No numbers quotable here, for fear of do-gooders calling the rozzers, though suffice it to say the same run previously (.139) was >500Wh/m and now was closer to 460. No scientific as I couldn't get VT to work at that time. I'm waiting until a little later to do my 12 mile test run (need temp to get to 50 and traffic to be about the same).

Additional observations:
During some of the said same spirited driving on windier roads, I noted that the AWD felt significantly better - 270degree right followed by sharp left hand felt even more stable than normal. Scared the living bejesus out of my wife as I thought "what's the new limit on this bend now..." ;)
TACC appears to be more aggressive on braking. At 6 or 7 I found it tried gentle regen (15-30) until pretty close to the car in front and then applied physical brakes. I was ms away from hitting the brakes myself. This happened a few times, and I use TACC a lot in traffic. Anyone else find this?

This may not be related to 6.1 so apologies if this is off topic. After getting version.167 installed I had to go out for about 1 1/2 hours or so. I didn't really notice anything different or unusual though I was wondering if one of the motors was making a higher whine than normal (probably the front). Just as I was approaching my home I got an alert to say that the car needs service and the power was reduced. I did do one 1/2 launch shortly before the problem occurred (just aggressive throttle really).

I was wondering if one of the motors had been shutdown but the person I talked to in technical support seemed skeptical as there were no other log messages. I didn't really notice the reduced power though I was taking it easy; however, if the front motor had been shut down presumably I wouldn't notice unless I did a launch or something.
After I got home I talked to Tesla support but apparently if the local service center is closed - as Vancouver is on weekends - I might have to wait until Monday to hear more.
I decided to see what would happen with a reboot but in fact by the time I got back into my car the message had cleared. I rebooted the main screen and then drove around my neighborhood for a bit with not further ill effects.

Maybe I discovered the new "Torque coma" feature?
I may start a new thread on this but just to address an earlier comment about the vancouver service center being closed, I actually got a call about an hour later from the excellent mark Lidstone who had already had someone looking at the logs and had a couple of theories on possible causes. I had a ranger looking at my car by 8:45 pm in the parking lot where I had my car parked as we were at a movie. Just wanted to remove any earlier suggestion that vancouver service was anything other than excellent.

i can can no longer login using private builds of VisibleTesla (using owner-api) on .167. Might be that something went wrong with update... Started it and walked away.

I see you fixed this, but.VT only talks to the Tesla servers, not the car directly. So if there is a problem with VT after an update, Tesla screwed up their own API between the car and their servers, which I doubt. (But I guess Is possible). The recent problems with VT not working are related to losing the logon token and then having your account moved to the "new servers". I'd assert that a firmware update should have no affect on VT unless Tesla broke their own systems.

Can anyone with .167 check if they fixed the biggest issue with Range mode? When in range mode and you pre-heat your car, does it now heat the battery?
Given how many people complained about that unfortunate tie-in and given how easy this should be to resolve, I wonder if they addressed it. And with the current weather I bet that would be easy to check for those of you in the frozen half of North America :)

Just got .167 last night on my P85D. I was preparing for a trip from SF to LA today so I had it set up to charge to max capacity. When I check the car this morning, the maximum rated range is showing as 256 miles. I've never seen a number that high before on this car...anyone know what is behind this (pleasant) little surprise?

Just got .167 last night on my P85D. I was preparing for a trip from SF to LA today so I had it set up to charge to max capacity. When I check the car this morning, the maximum rated range is showing as 256 miles. I've never seen a number that high before on this car...anyone know what is behind this (pleasant) little surprise?

I have seen 256 rated miles at 100% on 2.2.140 while Range Mode was ON. Turning it off showed 253 rated miles of range at the same 100% event.

an issue im having now which ive never had before is that slacker is now refusing to play more than one song in a station saying skip limit has been released. i have a premium accout that works fine for other devices so I'm thinking this may be a TESLA bug. i havent found anythingsimilar in the threads though.

Had this briefly in the last month and it went away. Of course, without release notes I have no idea why or how or what the root cause was.

Can anyone with .167 check if they fixed the biggest issue with Range mode? When in range mode and you pre-heat your car, does it now heat the battery?
Given how many people complained about that unfortunate tie-in and given how easy this should be to resolve, I wonder if they addressed it. And with the current weather I bet that would be easy to check for those of you in the frozen half of North America :)

If this is of concern to you, please consider adding your voice to this thread: Would you use battery heating if it were available?

The number of bug fix releases is just mind boggling and disturbing. And all the "I got this and don't have it yet" posts are extremely annoying. They don't add value to these threads. Minor bug fix patch releases aren't going to have new features so everyone expecting faster accel or torque sleep or anything else feature related like battery warming is just wasting their time. Software releases just aren't structured like that. Wait for a major or minor feature release version (aka not a bug fix patch version) and look at the new release notes for new features and then you may post about the new features.

The number of bug fix releases is just mind boggling and disturbing. And all the "I got this and don't have it yet" posts are extremely annoying. They don't add value to these threads. Minor bug fix patch releases aren't going to have new features so everyone expecting faster accel or torque sleep or anything else feature related like battery warming is just wasting their time. Software releases just aren't structured like that. Wait for a major or minor feature release version (aka not a bug fix patch version) and look at the new release notes for new features and then you may post about the new features.

When you become a moderator you can tell us what we can and can't post about. Until then, you're free to give us your opinion, and make whatever request you like, and others are free to abide by them or not. The mods will move posts, as they see fit. If there are too many posts for your liking in this thread, don't read them.

There was actually quite a bit of useful information that was relayed in the past 24 hours about this "bug fix patch version" as you put it. For starters, several people have already talked about seeing increased range, which is causing me to feel optimistic, since I have not yet seen the range increase from torque sleep, and was not able to test efficiency today, after receiving the most recent update. Also the information about the driver profile drop-down selection field being wider is of interest to me, and I expect to many others. If it isn't of interest to you I say once again, don't read the thread. But please don't try to tell others what we may or may not do.

While I agree that the "I have it" / "I don't have it" posts are creating a ton of noise, I do beg to differ on your other statement... torque sleep was introduced in .139 - Jerome confirmed that. That's a pretty massive "feature" if you think about it. Removing "don't pre-heat the battery" from "range mode" would be a minor trivial fix in comparison.

While I agree that the "I have it" / "I don't have it" posts are creating a ton of noise, I do beg to differ on your other statement... torque sleep was introduced in .139 - Jerome confirmed that. That's a pretty massive "feature" if you think about it. Removing "don't pre-heat the battery" from "range mode" would be a minor trivial fix in comparison.

In general, I can agree that the "I have it" / "I don't have it" posts aren't really all that interesting or helpful. But when a new firmware release is just being pushed, I think posts of this nature help give people some perspective on how widespread the distribution might be. In the case of yesterday's firmware release, I'm pretty sure the posts like this stopped within just a few hours, and there were probably fewer than twenty of them (I haven't gone back and counted.) These posts are also pretty quick to move through, so I don't see them as a big problem, and think within reason, they add value.

That being said, we probably don't need lot more posts like that on this particular firmware release, but if anyone is dead set on posting, so be it.

In general, I can agree that the "I have it" / "I don't have it" posts aren't really all that interesting or helpful. But when a new firmware release is just being pushed, I think posts of this nature help give people some perspective on how widespread the distribution might be. In the case of yesterday's firmware release, I'm pretty sure the posts like this stopped within just a few hours, and there were probably fewer than twenty of them (I haven't gone back and counted.) These posts are also pretty quick to move through, so I don't see them as a big problem, and think within reason, they add value.

That being said, we probably don't need lot more posts like that on this particular firmware release, but if anyone is dead set on posting, so be it.
This is actually one of the things where I wish that the forum software had a 'me too' button. So the first person who gets an upgrade notification posts "wheeeee I got the upgrade notification" - everyone else clicks 'me too'. Then the first person who finishes the install posts "OMG!!! It's .173!!! And nothing changed in the Release Notes!!!" and again everyone else just clicks 'me too'. And then someone posts "I haven't gotten it, yet! I don't understand how they roll this out" and then... whom am I kidding, everyone else also posts that they haven't gotten it yet and how frustrating this is... :p

Oh, and the cool thing about this? You'd get a count of the 'me too's and could get a better handle on how many in the self selected sample of people following this thread really got it. While some people may have enough common sense not to post every new release they get, I'm sure a fair number would indeed click 'me too'

Last edited:
This is actually one of the things where I wish that the forum software had a 'me too' button. So the first person who gets an upgrade notification posts "wheeeee I got the upgrade notification" - everyone else clicks 'me too'. Then the first person who finishes the install posts "OMG!!! It's .173!!! And nothing changed in the Release Notes!!!" and again everyone else just clicks 'me too'. And then someone posts "I haven't gotten it, yet! I don't understand how they roll this out" and then... whom am I kidding, everyone else also posts that they haven't gotten it yet and how frustrating this is... :p

Oh, and the cool thing about this? You'd get a count of the 'me too's and could get a better handle on how many in the self selected sample of people following this thread really got it. While some people may have enough common sense not to post every new release they get, I'm sure a fair number would indeed click 'me too'

Given the various hardware configurations available now that does still give less information. I only bothered to post that I was getting an update yesterday because people had theories about D vehicles getting them consistently early and I have one of the few delivered S85Ds.

I am one who doesn't value the "got, didn't get" posts, but some do, and they have right to that view.

The forum uses stock software, which I don't believe offers the me too feature.

A poor mans way to deal with this is to create 2 sticky threads for each major release: X.X Features Discussion, and X.X Update Reports. Or some such. Then the hard part: we have to comply.

The forum uses stock software, which I don't believe offers the me too feature.

A poor mans way to deal with this is to create 2 sticky threads for each major release: X.X Features Discussion, and X.X Update Reports. Or some such. Then the hard part: we have to comply.
We are way off topic. Moderators, please move us somewhere in the site feedback area...
a) I really like the X.X feature vs X.X update reports separation. It might add workload for moderators, but I'd volunteer to help with that
b) there is a vbulletin "Like button" plugin that would do exactly what I'm suggesting...

(and now I'm going to report my own post to the moderators to get this moved out of the 6.1 thread...)