Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, allowed myself to update to 4.3 this weekend when received the notification on Saturday, attempting to be optimistic given the feedback that Fremont has had on the software. Unfortunately, door handle issue occurred; also, random times when head/tail lights illuminate when car parked; reset of the center screen randomly occurred whilst driving. Tesla service San Diego - great guys, Chip and Eric - send out ranger to do the software compatibility check; unfortunately, I was told it still needs a patch, although turning off the handle auto-present and walk away lock allowed me to lock the car through the key fob, and stopped the outside lights from going on and off randomly. Didn't experience the center screen reset when driving. So this still seems to be an issue with some of the cars, and the software still needs some tweaks. No ETA for the patch, however.

I upgraded to 4.3 (1.25.40) this weekend and today got stumped at three different ChargePoint stations. Would plug in the J1772 cord with adapter, get about one second of green, before it switch back to blue and refuse to charge again until you've gone through the whole procedure again. Wrote ownership about it, but it was late in the day so I haven't heard back.

Anyone else?

Even in extreme temperatures the cabin heater is only running 6 kW during the initial warm-up. Once the cabin is toasty it backs down. Most likely with the preheat it never goes that high - it isn't necessary to warm up that quickly.

Mind you, if the pack heater is running, which it does do during cabin preheat (via App only), then the total draw will likely be higher than what is being drawn from shore power. Again, I don't think it runs full blast unless the car is "on".

I upgraded to 4.3 (1.25.40) this weekend and today got stumped at three different ChargePoint stations. Would plug in the J1772 cord with adapter, get about one second of green, before it switch back to blue and refuse to charge again until you've gone through the whole procedure again. Wrote ownership about it, but it was late in the day so I haven't heard back.

Anyone else?
Is there any messaging on the console screen? The constant dark-blue ring means "contact acknowledged, waiting for the car to tell me to start charging" when used with the timer-control. Perhaps you've got the car waiting to start charging for a particular time?

Well, allowed myself to update to 4.3 this weekend when received the notification on Saturday, attempting to be optimistic given the feedback that Fremont has had on the software. Unfortunately, door handle issue occurred; also, random times when head/tail lights illuminate when car parked; reset of the center screen randomly occurred whilst driving. Tesla service San Diego - great guys, Chip and Eric - send out ranger to do the software compatibility check; unfortunately, I was told it still needs a patch, although turning off the handle auto-present and walk away lock allowed me to lock the car through the key fob, and stopped the outside lights from going on and off randomly. Didn't experience the center screen reset when driving. So this still seems to be an issue with some of the cars, and the software still needs some tweaks. No ETA for the patch, however.

Just FYI, the lights are not randomly illuminating; the security module problem causes the handles to present and after a time they will attempt to retract but when the retract fails the car thinks its being unlocked and the lights come on. They will time out and go off again.

The security module can be flashed by a Ranger and that is the patch.

Is there any messaging on the console screen? The constant dark-blue ring means "contact acknowledged, waiting for the car to tell me to start charging" when used with the timer-control. Perhaps you've got the car waiting to start charging for a particular time?

Just says "Charging stopped" with a (non-responsive) "Start charging" button. Thought about the scheduling going heywire, so at one point I enabled it, then disabled it, to see if that would kick things into gear, but no.

Is there anyway to PULL an UPDATE? I currently have 4.2 and want 4.3.

Also is there anyway to print the UPDATES online? I looked at the 4.2 updates and it was a long list of items.

TIA

Last edited:
Just FYI, the lights are not randomly illuminating; the security module problem causes the handles to present and after a time they will attempt to retract but when the retract fails the car thinks its being unlocked and the lights come on. They will time out and go off again.

The security module can be flashed by a Ranger and that is the patch.

Thanks NigelM; that makes sense. Ranger did try to do this apparently - that's why he ended up contacting Fremont since this has happened to others, but to no avail. Will be going back to service center to pick up some stuff and will reinquire. If I hear anything different will let everyone know.

I have an Efergy energy monitor on my Nema 14-50 circuit to charge the car. When I preheat in the morning, I see it go from 0 to about 660 watts (.660 kW).

Mine goes from zero to approximately zero when I turn on heating in the AM. I am on 4.2, so I do the max/standard charge trick on the app to start the car topping off what was lost over night, then flick on the heat.

Update - Telsa came by the house and replaced the 12v battery. Never had an issue with the car and it was drivable the whole time. Interesting that I never got a warning normally and only when I tried the update. Anyway battery replaced update made and all is fine.

Just wanted to follow up. 4.3 killed by backup camera (the screen was blank and read "camera unavailable") but the engineering folks at Tesla were able to fix it remotely this morning. It really is outstanding service.

Update - Telsa came by the house and replaced the 12v battery. Never had an issue with the car and it was drivable the whole time. Interesting that I never got a warning normally and only when I tried the update. Anyway battery replaced update made and all is fine.

Any reason why the 12v battery had such a short life????

- - - Updated - - -

It really is outstanding service.

Tesla has great service. Truly luxury car class service.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine goes from zero to approximately zero when I turn on heating in the AM.

LOL :) 0 to 0

Mine goes from zero to approximately zero when I turn on heating in the AM. I am on 4.2, so I do the max/standard charge trick on the app to start the car topping off what was lost over night, then flick on the heat.

That is so odd... I wonder why our cars behave so differently??? Mine draws about 1kW from the EVSE when I use the app to turn on the heat. It does this 100% of he time.

Just wanted to follow up. 4.3 killed by backup camera (the screen was blank and read "camera unavailable") but the engineering folks at Tesla were able to fix it remotely this morning. It really is outstanding service.

Cool, thanks for following up. This seems to have been one of the very few 4.3-specific things (if it was 4.3 specific; and not sure whether NigelM's resolved issue was one of them, and/or BCLi's).

It seems it didn't become really clear yet how much it affected cold battery range prediction, it seems to have been an improvement.

Anyone else?

Never mind... Turned it in to Menlo Park today and they determined onboard charger failure and have ordered a new one. Seems the upgrade was just a coincidence (which makes sense, as I could charge after the update for one day).