Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a lot of folks these days (especially productive folks) are avoiding California residency and voting with their feet. Don't know why, Seems like such a nice place.
I think that's just a high profile/media reporting illusion because the data don't support it:

Despite the popular belief that residents are fleeing California, there is not in fact a statewide exodus, new research out of the University of California finds. For one, while residents are moving out of state, they are not doing so at "unusual rates." Similarly, the research found no evidence of "millionaire flight" from California and notes that the state continues to attract as much venture capital as all other U.S. states combined, despite the recent exodus of Hewlett-Packard and Oracle. The report did reveal net migration out of San Francisco during the pandemic. However, about two-thirds of people who left the city remained in the Bay Area, while 80% stayed in California, which is consistent with earlier trends...

A recent survey by UC San Diego, included in the project, found that the percentage of Californians who plan to leave the state has remained static for two years. In fact, only 23% of California voters said they were seriously considering leaving the state, which is lower than the 24% who said the same in a 2019 survey conducted by UC Berkeley. [...] The myth of "millionaire flight" from California, the project also found, is just that -- a myth. Affluent Californians were actually more satisfied with the direction the state is going and very likely to believe it will be better when their children grow up. Likewise, an analysis of almost two decades of Franchise Tax Board data by Stanford University and Cornell University found that there has been no millionaire flight from California, despite recent tax increases levied on higher earners.

I think that's just a high profile/media reporting illusion because the data don't support it:

You can bend statistics in many ways. I have watched many of my friends over the years move out California. Not very scientific of course.

A very good barometer these days is check the U-Haul rental rates. You will find very favorable rates for anyone bringing Uhaul trucks and trailers to California versus 2x to 4x for anyone desiring the opposite.

Another good barometer is I believe the state lost a seat in the house due to population loss?

You can bend statistics in many ways. I have watched many of my friends over the years move out California. Not very scientific of course.

Certainly not compared to the methodology used at UCSD in the study.

A very good barometer these days is check the U-Haul rental rates. You will find very favorable rates for anyone bringing Uhaul trucks and trailers to California versus 2x to 4x for anyone desiring the opposite.

A good barometer for working class people. U-Haul is skewed heavily toward the working class.
Another good barometer is I believe the state lost a seat in the house due to population loss?
The majority of the population loss is due to affordability, which census data have shown to be predominately young families, mostly due to housing affordability.

None of these are good metrics, they're selective. The best way to view it is through taxable receipts, census data, housing demand and pricing, etc. - a nuanced and combined approach that isn't selecting for the outcome you want ahead of time. I understand the appeal of the argument but "millionaire flight" has been a myth for a very long time and has been disproven for a number of high tax states repeatedly.

A good barometer for working class people. U-Haul is skewed heavily toward the working class.

The majority of the population loss is due to affordability, which census data have shown to be predominately young families, mostly due to housing affordability.
I don't believe I brought up millionaire flight, I said productive folks. Yes, working class people are also included as "productive folks".

It is more than affordability but that is a large component. There is a myriad of reasons why people are moving and why the state lost population and a house seat.

Reactions: ohmman
I don't believe I brought up millionaire flight, I said productive folks. Yes, working class people are also included as "productive folks".

It is more than affordability but that is a large component. There is a myriad of reasons why people are moving and why the state lost population and a house seat.
Anecdotes are useless. The plural of anecdote is not data.
The UCSD study uses real data. RTFA
No, as much as I would wish it, California did not lose population.

Elon seems to be in a bad place now... jousting at windmills.
I'd prefer he stick to "Transitioning the world to sustainable energy"
He seems to be more or more going towards racist ideas. I won't be surprised if he goes the way of Peter Thiel.

I mean he is practically sounding like the same guys who support "free speech" but ban math text books in Florida.

Antidotes or not how do you explain the vast disparity in Uhaul rates?
We're getting way off topic here, but there are major confounds in using U-Haul rates to determine actual movement. People moving to California are generally able to afford the cost of living in California and are less likely to use self-moving services, whereas people escaping from a high cost of living might be more likely to use self-moving services. Obviously you need a broader metric than just looking at self-moving services - you need to include the cost of movers, the cost of maintaining U-Haul facilities in California vs. other states, etc.

Distilling complicated scenarios to a single transactional cost is appealing but rife with issues.

Reactions: mspohr
I would argue that Netflix has lost market share because they went from being one of the only games in town for solid streaming content (I mean, Amazon Prime was the main competition for a while..), to having a lot of competition out there. It's market share driven more than likely, and if there is some cultural component that is costing them market share, one would have to compare against alternative platforms gaining market share to see how "un-woke" they are.

I think for him it's just something to tweet to rile people up in favor or against him. Twitter, lol.

He seems to be more or more going towards racist ideas. I won't be surprised if he goes the way of Peter Thiel.
I mean he is practically sounding like the same guys who support "free speech" but ban math text books in Florida.
Nonsense... Elon has been successful because he supports a system based on merit and performance. Period.

Here is a simple explanation...

1650490030010.png

1650490094664.png

Yup
As predicted... more FUD.

"The video consists of a compilation of clips from longer FSD Beta test drives from owners posted to Youtube. We previously reported on some of those clips. O’Dowd is going to pay $2 million for playtime on this ad in 36 states, and he says that he put aside $7 million for his campaign. He also hired a team consisting of Democratic ad maker Mark Putnam, veteran party operative John Blair, and Tim Maltin, a high-powered public affairs executive in London.

The Santa Barbara man is already making the Democratic party nervous as they fear his campaign is going to negatively affect the state’s appointed junior senator, Alex Padilla. If O’Dowd is not particularly interested in becoming a Senator and his campaign is primarily about preventing Tesla FSD Beta to be used on public roads, it is fair to ask why he doesn’t just pay for an anti-Tesla FSD ad campaign. But it is believed that making it a political ad could help him avoid issues with a higher degree of first amendment protection, especially since his first ad is using clips from videos mostly made by Tesla fans. O’Dowd said that he is willing to step down if the legislature commits to banning Tesla from deploying its FSD beta on public roads."
Yup … it is so dangerous….did you not see the trail of dead bodies behind the Tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Mind virus seems to be used kinda like the Dawkins concept of a meme. Idea that spreads, takes over. Wokeness can be thought of as an ideology of a portion of the extreme left that has "infected", to continue the virus analogy, increasingly large amounts of institutions, and a small, but vocal, part of society.

Status
Not open for further replies.