Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk the next Bernie madoff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know on this forum it could get me evicted. :) I love Elon and not really sure how accurate it is but there is no denying Solarcity has received a ton of subsidies. I know, I know oil companies have as well and even more billions have gone that way. Trillions are wasted on propping up "friends of uncle" but that does not make it right for Solar City who cannot seem to make a profit as the largest solar co. in the U.S.

David Williams

David Williams is president of Taxpayers Protection Alliance, a Washington-based nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that researches, and educates the public about, the government’s effects on the economy.

It'd interesting that a Taxpayers Protection advocate goes after Musk and clean tech when everyone knows that the much bigger welfare queens are the fossil fuel industry or defense contractors ^^

So, this guys is on a "non-partisan" organization, but two of the linked "sources" in this opinion piece are Redstate.com and Politico?

This article is trash and I feel bad that I may have given them revenue by clicking on it.

Yes, SolarCity has gotten a lot of subsidies, new technologies take time and effort. Can't wait until oil has died and green energy has taken over so we can properly deride the articles of the dinosaurs like this one.

I know, I know oil companies have as well and even more billions have gone that way. Trillions are wasted on propping up "friends of uncle" but that does not make it right for Solar City who cannot seem to make a profit as the largest solar co. in the U.S.

The government subsidies for Solar City was awarded because that company was determined in an open and a priori known process to be carrying out the decided policies of the government.

That is exactly how taxes and subsidies are used, as tools to promote one behavior over another.

There nothing wrong with that. To the extent that the just completed election was democratic, then the expected change of what the government will reward from now on shows that the system is working, in the sense that it carries out what the voters wished for.

So this is just another hit-piece from someone whose business model is being made obsolete by Elon Musk.

David Williams

David Williams is president of Taxpayers Protection Alliance, a Washington-based nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that researches, and educates the public about, the government’s effects on the economy.

It'd interesting that a Taxpayers Protection advocate goes after Musk and clean tech when everyone knows that the much bigger welfare queens are the fossil fuel industry or defense contractors ^^
Ever since I watched the "Merchants of Doubt" DVD I've been naturally suspicious every time I see an organization that has one of these consumer oriented, benign looking names (i.e. Taxpayers Protection Alliance).

I found this on the web:

Taxpayer Protection Alliance Attacks on Renewable Energy

Not sure of its validity, but it certainly raises some questions.

• Informative
Reactions: Ovulation
Gov't subsidies are a great thing. I believe in them and they have been a good jump-start to businesses like solar and renewable energies. Until there not :) Remember Mitt Romney said a few years ago that "We pick all the losers" when it came to gov't investment. He included Tesla in that statement and history has proved him wrong at least in one case

I know on this forum it could get me evicted. :) I love Elon and not really sure how accurate it is but there is no denying Solarcity has received a ton of subsidies. I know, I know oil companies have as well and even more billions have gone that way. Trillions are wasted on propping up "friends of uncle" but that does not make it right for Solar City who cannot seem to make a profit as the largest solar co. in the U.S.

Solar City executive compensation 2015: $152 million
SCTY SolarCity Corp Executive Compensation
TSLA executive compensation in comparison:
TSLA Tesla Motors Inc Executive Compensation
AAPL executive compensation:
AAPL Apple Inc Executive Compensation

So, here we are today, a little over 100 years ago, when electric cars fell to motorized vehicles. Could we see this happen again? Are there no more innovations in engine efficiency? Could a 100 mpg gas engine and abundant oil kill electrics?

Permian’s Wolfcamp formation called biggest shale oil field in U.S.

First of all, low oil price or better gas mileage does not equate to a low ICE car price. Engines, transmissions, and gas related car parts will not become cheaper just because oil can be cheaper or run more miles in a car. If/when battery becomes cheaper than engine/transmission, it's game over for ICE cars.

Also, oil may get cheaper, but solar/wind will too. Oil is an 100+ year old industry, the others are just getting started. Which ones do you think have more room to grow in terms of pricing and economy of scale?

This article is obvious FUD, concoction of old and new, unfounded, accusations.
Only subsidies Republicans don't like are those that do not go to their coffers.

USA is lagging behind and it looks like it's going to get worse under Republican government. Back to the 20th century we go.

Last edited:
So, here we are today, a little over 100 years ago, when electric cars fell to motorized vehicles. Could we see this happen again? Are there no more innovations in engine efficiency? Could a 100 mpg gas engine and abundant oil kill electrics?

No, and the proof lies in the fact that the ICE companies already are whining about EPA mileage requirements. Additionally, thaynhave demonstrated the only way they have gotten as far as they have with milieage has been to cheat with software.:confused:

Only subsidies Republicans don't like are those that do not go to their coffers.
Because the Democrats care about the environment and the American people? Hey, i'm not defending Republican's but this "only the other guys are crooked" mentality is how each side can keep their heads in the sand.
Of course i'm a racist, sexist, misogynist so what do I know? :)

Everyone! needs to drive electric vehicles to see how much better they are. As we Tesla owners know and often say "no way will I ever go back to an ICE"
and forcing people to accept your views on how things should be is the way to go? SMH!
how about letting the market for EVs evolve to a point where owning an EV is a viable choice?
currently an EV for the masses does not exist yet.
forcing people to accept change rarely works well.

Reactions: Eclectic