Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone see this? Apparently, AutoPark will be renamed "Banish". I'm guessing the name change is because you will be able to get out your car and it will auto park on its own (ie you are "banishing" your car to a parking space)? But I feel like that is a terrible name.

SbYfCaj.png

Anyone see this? Apparently, AutoPark will be renamed "Banish". I'm guessing the name change is because you will be able to get out your car and it will auto park on its own (ie you are "banishing" your car to a parking space)? But I feel like that is a terrible name.

SbYfCaj.png

Elon's been playing too much Diablo III.

SbYfCaj.png

It's hilarious to nerds who play RPGs and video games though, which is the audience Elon tends to aim for by default

What about some real ASS love? 🤣

Reactions: DanCar
Elon was not kidding when he said the issue was being "resolved fast." Just two weeks after tweeting they were constrained by compute, he now says it's no longer an issue:

Prediction: in April Musk will say compute is again an issue, and then in late June Musk will say compute is no longer an issue.

It's beat not to believe what Musk says on FSD, and particularly not close to the end of a quarter when what he says is more closely tied to selling vehicles and FSD.

Elon was not kidding when he said the issue was being "resolved fast." Just two weeks after tweeting they were constrained by compute, he now says it's no longer an issue:

That's good news. We will see how fast things improve. My experience with V12.3 is already excellent for easy routes in good weather (zero interventions, smooth driving). I have no doubt that Tesla will be able to improve quickly for edge cases that just require more data (for example: the Waymo case of a truck that is towing a vehicle weird, an unusual construction zone, etc...). But I do have doubts about situations that bump up to the limitation of the hardware. For example, I have a tricky rural road that is hilly and has hills and trees on both sides that make seeing cross traffic very difficult. You have to stop at a stop sign and make a quick 90 degree left turn on a fast moving 2 lane road with hills and obstructions that make it very hard to see cross traffic. Current hardware just cannot see well enough to handle that case. And forget about doing it in rain or fog, it would be impossible with the current hardware. Maybe Tesla can train the car to creep forward better and be more assertive when needed be, but it is tricky even for human drivers.

So, I just feel like there will be some cases that will be hard no matter how much training data they have because the cameras simply are not positioned right. That is why I feel like FSD will be L4 at best because it will probably achieve eyes off eventually but only in a limited ODD (good weather, certain roads).

Reactions: VanFriscia
Currently see no path to L3 with current vehicles.

v12.3 is quite good. Certainly not without flaws. Also it is a relative statement!

L3 is basically eyes-off in limited conditions with a human ready to take over with sufficient notice. It all depends on the ODD. I could see a limited ODD where Tesla could achieve L3 in a couple years, with more training and data. For example, L3 highway in good weather.

Same with L4. L4 is always eyes-off but in a limited ODD. It all depends on the ODD. I could see a limited "ideal ODD" (sunny, well marked roads, route with no unprotected turns and no occlusions, limited traffic) where in a couple years, with more training, Tesla is eventually able to get to L4. I am not saying Tesla can do L3 or L4 now.

Last edited:
Currently see no path to L3 with current vehicles.

v12.3 is quite good. Certainly not without flaws. Also it is a relative statement!

I think L3 on highways can certainly be done with current vehicles-- esp if ODD excludes esp. bad weather-- B-pillar viewing angles go away as an issue and that's the major hardware limitation I see to eyes-off levels on city streets.

L3 is basically eyes-off in limited conditions with a human ready to take over with sufficient notice.
Yeah I am very very familiar with the levels. No confusion there.

I could see a limited ODD where Tesla could achieve L3 in a couple years,

I think L3 on highways can certainly be done with current vehicles
Maybe.

Can and will are different of course. Anyway I don’t see it happening.

Taking a step back it just seems there’s zero upside for Tesla. The smaller the ODD the less reason to do it.

It’s not necessary to have an L3 system to get the sales of an L3 system (one could argue that is an upside for Tesla). They can just make stuff up in marketing materials. It’s not like there is going to be any crackdown on that.

Last edited:
Yeah I am very very familiar with the levels. No confusion there.

Maybe.

Can and will are different of course. Anyway I don’t see it happening.

Taking a step back it just seems there’s zero upside for Tesla. The smaller the ODD the less reason to do it.

It’s not necessary to have an L3 system to get the sales of an L3 system (one could argue that is an upside for Tesla). They can just make stuff up in marketing materials. It’s not like there is going to be any crackdown on that.

FWIW the only cause I could see for Tesla offering L3 highways is if Mercedes actually takes most of the chains off their L3 system and they're forced to for competition reasons. Otherwise I agree with you it's mostly downside for Tesla.

My point was you didn't' see any path to it, and I see no reason they don't have such a path--- if they should take it is a separate thing.