Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have enough solar to go off grid in winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe put solar panels on a hinged structure so they lay flat with the roof in summer gut can be tilted up during the winter. Would need to be robust for storms. Or perhaps a permanently mounted snow screed that can be pulled with a rope or something that can wipe snow off the panels (probably won't work real good if the snow turns to ice).
My panels have two inclinations, summer and winter. Turns out, I leave them on winter year round. In the summer I have excess power (and can't sell it) regardless of the inclination. In the winter I need every photon.

We are looking to get HP dryer. Note they are small (24"), not full size. If you are a big busy family, you might need two pairs of washer/dryers. ($$)

There is one full size HP dryer (Whirlpool) which terrible ratings - a lot of people say they had to replace it in one to two years, no repair possible.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
We are looking to get HP dryer. Note they are small (24"), not full size. If you are a big busy family, you might need two pairs of washer/dryers. ($$)

There is one full size HP dryer (Whirlpool) which terrible ratings - a lot of people say they had to replace it in one to two years, no repair possible.

Not only that, but full size HP dryers lose much of their efficiency. Finally one with a high CEF was announced and was reported available on market 3/31/2022, but until now no where to be found. Looks like finally some limited availability, though as best I can see is currently only sold with a paired washing machine unit:

LG - WKHC202H*A
Drum Capacity (cu-ft): 7.2
Combined Energy Factor (CEF): 8.0
Estimated Annual Energy Use (kWh/yr): 299

Product Finder — ENERGY STAR Certified Clothes Dryers

Thread here on heat pump clothes dryers:
Heat Pump Clothes Dryers

Inside clothesline or rack? We have a small one we use in the winter. Only two of us though.

Inside clothesline or rack? We have a small one we use in the winter. Only two of us though
Actually on our island home we have hanging racks that we haul up to the ceiling. They are called Sheila Maids (one example
The Iconic Sheila Maid ®clothes airer- Ceiling airer). Been using it for over a decade. We built the bathroom/laundry room with a clerestory loft, so there's lots of space for the clothes, and we can still walk under. Much better than putting things out on a clothes line, especially when it rains. We still have a outside clothes line, but seldom use it seldom.

When I lived in Brazil mechanized clothes dryers didn't exist. Every house had a lightweight rack to haul up to the ceiling for drying, often out on the balcony. The British Sheila Maids are much nicer, with wooden slats not just skinny wires which put creases on clothes.

The HP dryer is for a new house, on the mainland, so we can "age in place".

Reactions: jboy210
Sorry, but I am going to chime in with a contrarian view here. The ability to be off grid in winter relying solely on PV and batteries is a function of the energy gain/loss from the house. Heavily insulated homes often stay perfectly comfortable from parasitic heat losses and passive solar during the winter.

I would reframe the winter energy question as more of a "how much power does your home need" in winter and summer, as the same effect applies in reverse for many homes in hot climates, where it can take even more energy to keep a home cool.

Your mileage will definitely vary. I think that my home leaks air like a sieve, despite moderate efforts on my part, but I am not ready, yet, to rip off the exterior for a better seal, nor to replace all of the windows, in part because the energy efficient windows suffer from real drawbacks vis-à-vis fire risk. Then there is also the payback period, which is... essentially forever for current energy and building costs.

All the best,

BG
I am moving closer to this view all the time. But it's fair to say I still got a ways to go... we just got a 17kw Solar Roof installed, with 3x Powerwall 2. Don't have PTO yet, and already was starting to plan for another 3x Powerwall 2. Then I had a possible epiphany.... that $$ could just as likely pay for an expensive geothermal system. I've got a shortfall projected for annual production of about 7500 kwh. Our annual useage is about 22000kwh, incuding car charging. If I replace my water heater with a heat pump water heater, I'm projecting a 3000kwh reduction in that shortfall. If I go geothermal, that should take care of the rest of it, and then some. But of course the summer overproduction exceeds my storage capacity by many times over, and all of this is estimates - I haven't verified the first month's numbers.
But, If I'm going to get there, or even close, geothermal will be the biggest part of it. BTW, I've got my own definition of off grid, and gas ain't in it. Anything delivered or piped to me is "grid", and I've sworn off fossil fuels anyhow. I would much rather not burn anything, either. Stopped doing that some years back. Got rid of two chimneys putting on the Solar Roof.
I'm not in it for the payback, that would take more life than I've got left. I'm in it for the fun of it, and energy security.

Last edited:
So i have 56 panels on my pole barn, and 2 LG packs in my garage (non operational at the moment due to a failed battery) but we're all electric now. 4800 sq ft and charge my Model S and wife's pacifica hybrid. I've now got the whole house switched over to electric including 2 Ground Source Heat Pumps, 2 heat pump water heaters, and all electric kitchen. The only thing that isn't electric is our pellet stove for backup heat in the winter and that's on my critical loads panel for the solar + batteries. Our net metering is quite even at the moment. Through the winter we were close and this is in Kansas so we had some snow. We would need a few more batteries and we could definately do it year round. When i ran off batteries only and no grid through the night early in the system i could make it till about 3 AM. There's no reason this can't be done. And our system payment is just a replacement of our electric bill. I could easily get this much better by sealing up the house better and plan on doing that more. Here's April for example and this has some heating and cooling in it as well as we've had crazy weather here:
View attachment 806858
You might be the sort who know about what a 2 ton ground source HVAC uses....? I sure would like to have some number to work with....

You've got to have batteries to make solar work. I've got 66 solar panels (7 kwh), but only 3 power walls. Wish I had 3 more, because 3 power walls only give me 20 kwh or less of power storage., not nearly enough to charge one car, much less two. Of course, I have to realize that charging one car uses more electricity than my house uses in a week but charging the car a tiny bit each night is a pain.
My 3x Powerwall 2 is worth 40 kwh of storage.... you got first gen?

Then I had a possible epiphany.... that $$ could just as likely pay for an expensive geothermal system.
Have you done an energy audit yet ? That really should be the first step. You will likely find that low(er) cost insulation and improvement in leaks will be a smart move.Not only will you use less energy, you will be able to time shift

I am moving closer to this view all the time. But it's fair to say I still got a ways to go... we just got a 17kw Solar Roof installed, with 3x Powerwall 2. Don't have PTO yet, and already was starting to plan for another 3x Powerwall 2. Then I had a possible epiphany.... that $$ could just as likely pay for an expensive geothermal system. I've got a shortfall projected for annual production of about 7500 kwh. Our annual useage is about 22000kwh, incuding car charging. If I replace my water heater with a heat pump water heater, I'm projecting a 3000kwh reduction in that shortfall. If I go geothermal, that should take care of the rest of it, and then some. But of course the summer overproduction exceeds my storage capacity by many times over, and all of this is estimates - I haven't verified the first month's numbers.
But, If I'm going to get there, or even close, geothermal will be the biggest part of it. BTW, I've got my own definition of off grid, and gas ain't in it. Anything delivered or piped to me is "grid", and I've sworn off fossil fuels anyhow. I would much rather not burn anything, either. Stopped doing that some years back. Got rid of two chimneys putting on the Solar Roof.
I'm not in it for the payback, that would take more life than I've got left. I'm in it for the fun of it, and energy security.
These days, for climates like Maryland, there isn't much difference in efficiency between an air source heat pump and a geothermal heat pump. When you factor in the difference in installation costs and maintenance, geothermal units rarely come out ahead anymore.

I concur with @SageBrush that an energy audit might turn up some straightforward items that would have a long term impact.

All the best,

BG

These days, for climates like Maryland, there isn't much difference in efficiency between an air source heat pump and a geothermal heat pump. When you factor in the difference in installation costs and maintenance, geothermal units rarely come out ahead anymore.

I concur with @SageBrush that an energy audit might turn up some straightforward items that would have a long term impact.

All the best,

BG
Interesting.... and a bit counter-intuitive, at least on the surface. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into that. The disruptive nature of putting in retrofit geothermal is what put me off that in the first place.

Interesting.... and a bit counter-intuitive, at least on the surface. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into that. The disruptive nature of putting in retrofit geothermal is what put me off that in the first place.
Basically, a geothermal pump generally has a higher Carnot efficiency because the difference in temperature between soil and the house temperature is generally small (54F vs 72F), but they require more energy to move the fluid through the piping, and heat exchangers. Air source heat pumps have a larger temperature difference (20F to 72F or 105F to 72F), but lower running energy losses. Twenty years ago, geothermal was a solid win. With today's air source heat pumps, not so much, and the cost to install the geothermal piping puts the ROI so far into the future that for many sites, it just doesn't pencil out.

If you are lucky enough to have a nearby private pond, or clean artesian well, that might change...

Allthe best,

BG

Last edited:
Looking at the tiny amount of solar generated during some winter days, it would be very difficult for us to last an entire winter with 100% uptime. Unless significant cuts to quality of life are made, we just aren't enjoying it as much as surviving. On an overcast day without direct sun we now make about 8-10 kWh, which is enough to run our basic needs in the summer but not much if any electric heat.

We made the switch recently over to a Bosch mini-split system and I am just finishing the installation. However we also totally removed the existing propane wall heaters along with this project.

Reactions: DrGriz
Looking at the tiny amount of solar generated during some winter days, it would be very difficult for us to last an entire winter with 100% uptime. Unless significant cuts to quality of life are made, we just aren't enjoying it as much as surviving. On an overcast day without direct sun we now make about 8-10 kWh, which is enough to run our basic needs in the summer but not much if any electric heat.

We made the switch recently over to a Bosch mini-split system and I am just finishing the installation. However we also totally removed the existing propane wall heaters along with this project.
With my mini splits, (4 compressors and 10 heads, half of these hardly even get turned on), and normal house, I use like 60 to 80kwh per day. And with a total day of rain, I might make only 5kwh.
Even with all the solar, batteries, and I guess the generator, just no way it would be practical to not use and pay for PGE stuff it seems.

Reactions: DrGriz
I'm on the Texas coast, pretty mild winters. We have NG heat and hot water, induction cooktop, electric dryer. If the Sun is out long enough to charge our 2 PWs we can easily make it through the night. The problem is that it can be overcast for several days in a row and we can't charge the PWs back up enough to run the house through the night. But over the billing period we produce more than we consume. Just not consistently each day.

Summer is completely different. We have two A/C units that can run very often when it gets well into the 90's. If the Sun is out, it can run the load and charge the PWs but we'll be back on the grid at night. The worst case is around 1-2 am. If it is a little cooler, we can get to 4-5 am. Sometimes I wish I had gotten a 3rd PW, but it may not have been cost effective. But it wold have gotten us further into the night more often. Assuming we could charge them fully.

Last edited:
I have a 19.2kw panels with 2 powerwalls just installed in first week of december. No way I will be able to go offgrid with me using heatpump and electric hot water heater. However prior to those installed I was averaging of 10kwh a day in december. So if shut them off and turn on my oil burner then I should be able to rely completely off grid. But that would also cost me alot of money buying them oil at almost 4 dollars a gallon and it would consume 200+ gallons a month.

Basically, a geothermal pump generally has a higher Carnot efficiency because the difference in temperature between soil and the house temperature is generally small (54F vs 72F), but they require more energy to move the fluid through the piping, and heat exchangers. Air source heat pumps have a larger temperature difference (20F to 72F or 105F to 72F), but lower running energy losses. Twenty years ago, geothermal was a solid win. With today's air source heat pumps, not so much, and the cost to install the geothermal piping puts the ROI so far into the future that for many sites, it just doesn't pencil out.

If you are lucky enough to have a nearby private pond, or clean artesian well, that might change...

Allthe best,

BG
Since I posted in early Feb, my wife and I have settled on a different path, we think. We won't achieve off grid capability, so I've come to accept a little fossil fuel into our equation.... started looking into a vent free propane fireplace. Something that could help with continuing thru a winter season extended power outage by reducing solar generation demand. A lot cheaper and less disruptive than revisiting geothermal.... we don't have a pond or ready available heat source, and the arrangement of our property and house make getting a well drilling rig in a feasible position close to the house is problematic at best. It's not so much ROI as near term feasibility, disruptiveness and cost. We don't realistically have sufficient runway left for real ROI considerations, and so are more motivated by energy security than ROI anyhow.

Reactions: jboy210 and h2ofun
Since I posted in early Feb, my wife and I have settled on a different path, we think. We won't achieve off grid capability, so I've come to accept a little fossil fuel into our equation.... started looking into a vent free propane fireplace. Something that could help with continuing thru a winter season extended power outage by reducing solar generation demand. A lot cheaper and less disruptive than revisiting geothermal.... we don't have a pond or ready available heat source, and the arrangement of our property and house make getting a well drilling rig in a feasible position close to the house is problematic at best. It's not so much ROI as near term feasibility, disruptiveness and cost. We don't realistically have sufficient runway left for real ROI considerations, and so are more motivated by energy security than ROI anyhow.
Your last statement about energy security over ROI is how we feel. We would love to have heat pumps, but with lots of shading we would only generate 8-9 kWh/day from November-January. And don't get over 25 kWh until late March. So, we use natural gas for heating and cooking.