Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says wall connector. Not Tesla Wall connector. Look at the Tesla wall connector. Do they say PowerShare? No.
They dont even sell tesla gen 2 wall connectors currently (which are ones that existing people might have) so you cant look it up. Like you said it specifically says "wall connector" which is what every tesla wall connector has been called, it does not say "universal wall connector".

Nevertheless, its an interesting discussion but your "its confirmed" is way early, because it isnt. You are likely focused on what you can buy now through the Tesla store, which does not necessarily match what people have installed currently. Since they dont specifically exclude previously installed equipment, and in fact specifically call it out as "no additional hardware needed", that should be the expectation for current owners of this equipment thats already installed.

They dont even sell tesla gen 2 wall connectors currently (which are ones that existing people might have) so you cant look it up
I think the point is that the Gen 3 Wall Connector currently for sale does not say it supports Powershare, while the Universal Wall Connector page has been updated to say it does.

So that does make me lean toward thinking that the Universal version will be required. But I will wait for actual documentation before I call it confirmed.

Reactions: Jones1
They dont even sell tesla gen 2 wall connectors currently (which are ones that existing people might have) so you cant look it up. Like you said it specifically says "wall connector" which is what every tesla wall connector has been called, it does not say "universal wall connector".

Nevertheless, it’s an interesting discussion but your "it’s confirmed" is way early, because it isnt. You are likely focused on what you can buy now through the Tesla store, which does not necessarily match what people have installed currently. Since they dont specifically exclude previously installed equipment, and in fact specifically call it out as "no additional hardware needed", that should be the expectation for current owners of this equipment thats already

I think the point is that the Gen 3 Wall Connector currently for sale does not say it supports Powershare, while the Universal Wall Connector page has been updated to say it does.

So that does make me lean toward thinking that the Universal version will be required. But I will wait for actual documentation before I call it confirmed.
Yes. 😂

The only real difference between the universal wall connector and the current Gen 3 one is the built in magic dock (which some people are having issues with).

None of this precludes the statement we both copied from the tesla website that says, specifically, that no additional hardware is needed for someone with a powerwall install.

It would be very (VERY) easy to read the gen 3 universal connector thing as "need this one if you dont have a powerwall".

Still, though, there is absolutely nothing "confirmed" about anything, which is what I was pointing out before. We simply dont know, and nothing currently provided confirms or denies anything.

The only real difference between the universal wall connector and the current Gen 3 one is the built in magic dock (which some people are having issues with).

None of this precludes the statement we both copied from the tesla website that says, specifically, that no additional hardware is needed for someone with a powerwall install.

It would be very (VERY) easy to read the gen 3 universal connector thing as "need this one if you dont have a powerwall".

Still, though, there is absolutely nothing "confirmed" about anything, which is what I was pointing out before. We simply dont know, and nothing currently provided confirms or denies anything.
Yes. We can only go by what Tesla is showing us. Gateway and UWC

IMG_8084.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
How can you say that as a fact? Have you torn them down and compared the electronics?

Someone even commented that it is way thicker than would be required just for the MagicDock addition.

I wonder if the gen 3 just needs a fw update, or just a board swap. Should be no reason to have to replace everything, but,...
I think it’s the Tesla Way. Has to be a different Board inside and Tesla wants to maximize profits. By selling the higher priced unit. They will probably come out with a Gen 4 TWC soon.

Reactions: phsoccer and h2ofun
too hard to do

Says the guy who has like 100 solar panels, maybe 12 Powerwalls, a house converted to full electric, a driveway that caused a big insurance event, a Nissan Maxima that probably needs a new timing belt to prevent the VG30E from blowing up, and is retired with a lot of time on his hands.

I know you can pull this off and see how that backfeeding works hah. I mean, if you can’t do this, then the rest of us are screwed.

Ok now we are getting some details:

This seems to confirm that you do not need the UWC if you have a Powerwall:

This makes it sound like you don't even need a Wall Connector if you have a Powerwall. You can use a Mobile Connector, or any other EVSE:

This confirms a special gateway with auto-transformer to make the neutral, if you don't have a Powerwall:

Ok now we are getting some details:

This seems to confirm that you do not need the UWC if you have a Powerwall:

This makes it sound like you don't even need a Wall Connector if you have a Powerwall. You can use a Mobile Connector, or any other EVSE:

This confirms a special gateway with auto-transformer to make the neutral, if you don't have a Powerwall:

I just read that thread.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Below is a diagram of my home energy setup. The 225A main panels (with 200A main breakers) are connected directly to the 400A service panel/meter.

My understanding is that the Tesla Backup Gateway 2 is limited to 200A. In order to do whole-house backup with a Cybertruck via Powershare, I assume I would need two gateways in parallel sitting between the meter and the mains... one for main panel. Is this possible?

Also, do we know if my solar system would operate and charge the Cybertruck when off-grid? The inverter is a SolarEdge SE-10000H-US.

1701632845009.png

Drew discussing the new Powershare Gateway needed for non-Powerwall setups:

• Informative