Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the source tweet and there was $20,000 for a service upgrade to 320A and an additional fee of $2,500 to handle the permit for the service upgrade. I think the customer would have accepted the quote without those two items.

I would be interested to see the single line drawing and load calcs for the proposed installation. Off hand, I can’t think of a good reason to upgrade to 320A service, assuming that the existing service is 200A.

I looked at the source tweet and there was $20,000 for a service upgrade to 320A and an additional fee of $2,500 to handle the permit for the service upgrade. I think the customer would have accepted the quote without those two items.

I would be interested to see the single line drawing and load calcs for the proposed installation. Off hand, I can’t think of a good reason to upgrade to 320A service, assuming that the existing service is 200A.
Joe T's service is 250A as reported by him.
I agree, I don't understand why Cybertruck Powershare would require a service upgrade. Worst case, split into two panels to get below the Gateway 200A limit and use Dynamic Charging to prevent an overload at night.

$2,500 to submit a permit, which is part of their job, and costs $50 in my area and takes a few minutes to submit online and less than a week to get back is robbery.

$2,500 to submit a permit, which is part of their job, and costs $50 in my area and takes a few minutes to submit online and less than a week to get back is robbery.
I am not defending their price, but preparing the drawings and the extra visits to the site to wait for the utility to disconnect the service before the work and again to reconnect the service after and site visits for extra inspections could all be included in this line item on the quote.

Reactions: mongo
I wonder if the cybertruck and PowerShare can get SGIP subsidies or the 30% battery ITC. Government cheddar is so tasty.

Time for @Vines to get a CT and meter it with CT’s.

How could this dude be allowed to install 36.6Kw of solar on 200 amp service.
Quote for service upgraded didn’t include new transformer, just trenching and new equipment.

I am not defending their price, but preparing the drawings and the extra visits to the site to wait for the utility to disconnect the service before the work and again to reconnect the service after and site visits for extra inspections could all be included in this line item on the quote.
Contractor has to make his Yacht and RV payment! You don’t expect him to pay for that out of his pocket.
If I was this dude, I would get other quote for service upgrade, and two 200 amp service disconnect switches.

I'm still waiting for good videos on it myself. Sounds like SW is the issue for now. GM just did a presentation with the Silverado I think, but theirs is similar to the Ford solution according to Batteries Included.

The problem is a lot of these are 1 car solutions. I really hope Enphase rolls their offering since that has to be an EV manufacturer (with some *=accepted EV) neutral (hopefully).

The problem is a lot of these are 1 car solutions. I really hope Enphase rolls their offering since that has to be an EV manufacturer (with some *=accepted EV) neutral (hopefully).
Same could be said about solar systems. There should be a manufacturer neutral way to control and monitor solar systems to avoid proprietary single vendor solutions like Tesla or Enphase that prevent or severely limit third-party integrations (e.g. bidirectional chargers like dcBel, smart panels like SPAN, etc.).

Same could be said about solar systems. There should be a manufacturer neutral way to control and monitor solar systems to avoid proprietary single vendor solutions like Tesla or Enphase that prevent or severely limit third-party integrations (e.g. bidirectional chargers like dcBel, smart panels like SPAN, etc.).
Well there is already, off grid. The TEG has no issues communicating with our Enphase hardware to alter production up or down, as needed, via frequency shifts.

How could this dude be allowed to install 36.6Kw of solar on 200 amp service.
Quote for service upgraded didn’t include new transformer, just trenching and new equipment.

1715627283884.png

Probably requires gateway updates too…. Vaporware 🤔
That's about 152A if it was all running full tilt boogie. Certainly there would be some losses from the DC to AC side.

A typical 200A service would have wires inside it rated for 160A continuously, but who knows how large the line side conductors are. Regardless that's the power companies equipment and responsibility.

Also, there is no reason that the system would not be programmed with whatever export limit the utility requested, as long as inverters are used that can partially curtail the power while on grid (such as Powerwall +/3 and now the Tesla inverter). If you wanted to limit the backfeed to the grid to no more than 10 kW or 20 kW that is simplicity with the power control system.