Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHY is it exclusive?

if I can submit data to place A, why would I be stopped from also sending it to other places?

this isn't an either/or situation.

I hope this gets enough attention that it gets pushed back. this is so wrong at every possible angle I can view it at.

basically, trump and his cronies are spherically evil. ie, they are evil, any way you look at them.

It's a legal thing. There are laws in place in all 50 states that "communicable diseases" have to be reported to the local health authority. HIV, influenza, etc. There's a long list we have to abide by and report anytime we see a case.

Given that things like this are for the general well-being of the population, the government is the appropriate entity to receive, compile, and report this data.

Literally, there is no where else to send it right now (WHO is a possible exception).

I'm not sure Trump has the authority to bypass this, and I really hope that they get their pants sued off for tying to muck with the reporting.

Reactions: kbM3
While that may be one of the arguments, its definitely not the main issue. The biggest problem is what to do with elementary aged kids that can't be left home alone. Also, elementary kids would need an adult to basically home school them. Not easy to do when both parents work. For most elementary aged kids, going fully online would basically be a lost year of learning and development.

This is VERY true. Even with both myself and my wife working primarily from home, it was practically a full-time job the 3 months during the spring that the kids did home school. It definitely pushed up the household stress level (if you guys could not tell by my rather . . . argumentative posts, at times :p).

again, the tech is stupid simple to install/upgrade (at the carriers, etc). there are lots of ways to extend broadband; I used to work at an RF networking company that did tower-to-tower data relays for carriers and we had amazing performance and the cost was not outrageous, either. but, well, NO telco wants to spend money. they are more cheap-ass than car companies (and that's saying a lot).

if the feds came down and forced all telcos to act more like utilities, we'd have this solved.

do people not have electricity? not have plumbing and hot and cold running water? sewage? mail deliveries?

why OH WHY is internet not in that catagory?

all those are solvable. it used to be a field I was in, so I know networking is trivially simple, at this point, and its only about cost. money that the telcos and carriers already have been raping us over, for years; taking lots of our funds that just keeping it. lots of still dark fiber they wont light up. google with their fiber program was killed by locals and governments and carriers, who didn't want to open the market up and give more people modern broadband.

solving a virus that we just don't have a good handle on: HARD

solving a simple tech problem like broadband-for-everyone: really not hard at all

annoys me so much. simple things that could be fixed. but no, again, we don't want the poors to have nice things. its JUST about that and nothing else.
Tesla is solving this with Starlink.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Tesla is solving this with Starlink.

I have to admit, I don't know too much about this. and I'll hold off until I see some actual real world data.

latency and availability matter. and from what I can see about tesla, the company (and elon's mgmt style) - I really doubt the data link will be reliable and maintained as well as internet-standards (such that they are, lol) require.

being an ISP is not just a matter of having uplinks and downlinks ;)

it would be great to have more choices, but elon promises a LOT and, well, I'll stop there.

I have to admit, I don't know too much about this. and I'll hold off until I see some actual real world data.

latency and availability matter. and from what I can see about tesla, the company (and elon's mgmt style) - I really doubt the data link will be reliable and maintained as well as internet-standards (such that they are, lol) require.

it would be great to have more choices, but elon promises a LOT and, well, I'll stop there.

Heavily discussed in this thread:
SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

They are talking about using it for backhaul connectivity for rural area cell phone towers, etc. To do that, it would have to have high availability (99.99% link uptime or greater), ample bandwidth, and low latency.

Starlink has every bit as much potential to change the world as Tesla does, it's truly revolutionary. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than running fiber out into the boonies for 1-2 houses per square mile.

And he delivers a lot.

This is VERY true. Even with both myself and my wife working primarily from home, it was practically a full-time job the 3 months during the spring that the kids did home school. It definitely pushed up the household stress level (if you guys could not tell by my rather . . . argumentative posts, at times :p).

That was different that the normal for you? ;)

We have a 2 and 5 year old (about to start kindergarten) that are quite demanding. We need a nanny in order for us to get work done, and we are lucky we can afford one. Many people can't. People are screwed either way.

And I don't even know what to do about online learning for the 5 year old. The nanny is not going to be able to help her with a 2 year old screaming half the time.

That was different that the normal for you? ;)

We have a 2 and 5 year old (about to start kindergarten) that are quite demanding. We need a nanny in order for us to get work done, and we are lucky we can afford one. Many people can't. People are screwed either way.

And I don't even know what to do about online learning for the 5 year old. The nanny is not going to be able to help her with a 2 year old screaming half the time.

My norm was wake up, get them fed and ready for school, and drop them off.

Ours are 7 and 10, and fortunately the 10 yo is top of her class and was already working 2 grade levels ahead. She didn't need much supervision.

The 7 yo does well, but is easily distracted and requires supervision to keep her on task.

Heavily discussed in this thread:
SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

They are talking about using it for backhaul connectivity for rural area cell phone towers, etc. To do that, it would have to have high availability (99.99% link uptime or greater), ample bandwidth, and low latency.

I have not found what the performance is going to look like. ping times. ping streams. bandwidth is rarely the issue, for many of us, but its about latency. when we WFH and we are VPN'd in to work, our keystrokes go all the way in, to a server at work then the screen updates and key echo comes all the way back. latency is what makes this style of work really sluggish.

for pure streaming, you can just add buffersize but for interaction, you need short distances to the backbone and satellite has a distance problem that you can't get around (speed of light).

I have not found what the performance is going to look like. ping times. ping streams. bandwidth is rarely the issue, for many of us, but its about latency. when we WFH and we are VPN'd in to work, our keystrokes go all the way in, to a server at work then the screen updates and key echo comes all the way back. latency is what makes this style of work really sluggish.

for pure streaming, you can just add buffersize but for interaction, you need short distances to the backbone and satellite has a distance problem that you can't get around (speed of light).

Read the thread, all of that is in there.

Round trip latency is quoted to be 20-30ms, and Elon swears the latency is low enough you can game on it.

EDIT - I'm in the datacenter/networking/cloud space professionally now (so much easier than my first career). Everything I've seen shows Starlink to be the real deal, with great latency and bandwidth. The only issue is coverage, which is improving with each batch of satellites.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Read the thread, all of that is in there.

Round trip latency is quoted to be 20-30ms, and Elon swears the latency is low enough you can game on it.

EDIT - I'm in the datacenter/networking/cloud space professionally now (so much easier than my first career). Everything I've seen shows Starlink to be the real deal, with great latency and bandwidth. The only issue is coverage, which is improving with each batch of satellites.

FCC Has 'Serious Doubts' SpaceX Starlink Can Deliver a Low Latency Internet Service

The Federal Communications Commission has "serious doubts" that low-Earth orbit (LEO) satellite providers—including SpaceX—can deliver internet service while keeping latency under 100 milliseconds.

the FCC has a lot of bias right now (ajit...) and so I'm not sure if they are trustable and a neutral party at this point.

I did read that the sats are going to be much lower (300mi compared to 21k mi) and so that would certainly cut the light speed issue down a lot.

I hope they do it, but I'm a show-me kind of person. being an ISP is a lot harder than it may appear, at first look.

FCC Has 'Serious Doubts' SpaceX Starlink Can Deliver a Low Latency Internet Service

The Federal Communications Commission has "serious doubts" that low-Earth orbit (LEO) satellite providers—including SpaceX—can deliver internet service while keeping latency under 100 milliseconds.

the FCC has a lot of bias right now (ajit...) and so I'm not sure if they are trustable and a neutral party at this point.

I did read that the sats are going to be much lower (300mi compared to 21k mi) and so that would certainly cut the light speed issue down a lot.

I hope they do it, but I'm a show-me kind of person. being an ISP is a lot harder than it may appear, at first look.

It will work. I will put one of my "proverbial bets" on it. FCC these days is like the CDC, tainted beyond recognition.

Reactions: dfwatt
Back to coronavirus - I want everyone to remember when the debate about "costs of healthcare in the USA" come up to remember this pandemic.

Our population is making STUPID choices, just like they have on preventive medicine (vaccines), and on exercise (we are a fat nation). ALL of this makes us a very unique population that results in much more expensive care than other countries. It's not the only factor, but it really is a VERY large factor in cost.

That, and our "do everything possible to save me" mentality once we are hospitalized.

My norm was wake up, get them fed and ready for school, and drop them off.

Ours are 7 and 10, and fortunately the 10 yo is top of her class and was already working 2 grade levels ahead. She didn't need much supervision.

The 7 yo does well, but is easily distracted and requires supervision to keep her on task.

I guess that overachieving two grades ahead Apple didn't fall too far from the tree!