Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CommaAI OpenPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issue that since update several months back I cannot use autopilot on non-highway roads, on which I drive very often (topic - Autopilot is useless on non-highway roads.)

To the point that I'm considering selling tesla and buying a toyota with their most modern driver assist technologies.

But before doing that, I'm wondering if there is an alternative solution - is CommaAI OpenPilot available for 2023 Model Y? Or any news about its availability or any alternative perhaps?
I'm not looking for FSD just regular adaptive cruise control with good lane keep assist that can handle twisty roads will suffice.

Wow, thanks a lot @69KWH ! That seems like there is a hope for Tesla after all!

I'll check online how Comma Autopilot performs on twisty road and if following distance can be adjusted (in Eastern Europe people don't follow 5-10 car lengths but 1-2 max, something more and everyone will overtake you) and if it's immune to speed limit sign reading issue, if all good I'm going to purchase it and report my experience on the forum

Reactions: 69KWH
I've checked all information I was interested in and I can confirm that openpilot looks like will do exactly what I need:

1) It handles twisty road very well
2) It doesn't read and apply speed limits (at all, so incorrect application isn't an issue either)
3) Following distance is adjustable and seems about as tesla

I've bought the set, will report back when I get and install it, probably in 2-3 weeks.

@Ribs, It's going wonderfully! I've just returned from the trip that tesla AP completely failed to handle, and I can confirm that my issue is 100% solved! I'm just after 3 hours driving (2 hours narrow twisty roads where tesla's AP 95% of time shows imaginary speed limits and 1 hours of highway driving) - and I don't feel tired at all! (I was squezed as a lemon before when I couldn't use AP there)

Tesla 3/Y support is still in development phase and one guy that handles that still developing software and adding features, but it's already very functional and totally solves my issue, it literally saved me as a Tesla customer, I was in talks to get some toyota on test over weekend and was going to get one instead of Tesla. It was ONLY due to autopilot, so now as autopilot issue is solved, I'm quite happy with the car :)

Main points:

1) No nonsensical speed limits, I can drive whatever speed I want (= normal speed as the rest of traffic). Also, OpenPilot works up to 150km/hr

2) Hands free experience! It monitors that you look in front of the car but doesn't nag to keep wobbling steering wheel. I have much better focus on the road without need to constantly look at the screen if it's flashing.

3) No punishments

4) It changes lanes and doing it quite well! Reasonably fast and smooth, almost hands free - you need to touch delicately steering wheel in the direction of lane.

5) Unlike Tesla's autopilot, It can drive with no markings! Although it's something where more work needed and likely it'll be solved - on narrow roads with no markings it's keeping a bit too close to center of the lane, when there is an incoming traffic and I steer car closer to curb it disengages OpenPilot, work is being done on "Torque Blending" where it'll be possible to adjust car position without disengaging OpenPilot - that'll be a game changer in those situations.

For anyone outside of USA and Canada I think it's a no brainer - definitely worth getting, it's day and night vs what we're getting in other regions, will transform experience.

For USA/Canada generally FSD probably will be better, but if something above resonates with issues you're having - it's definitely worth considering!

If needed I can combine instructions how to get one in your Tesla. Cost is about 1400$ - in my case, it's worth every single cent!
And unlike Enhanced Autopilot it's transferable to another car and sellable (there is good used marked for Comma devices)