Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife, driving our Audi A4 with pre-sense rear ended a vehicle in front of her while turning and merging onto an entrance ramp. Totally her fault, however the driver did one of those, "way too cautious" stop where you shouldn't things, we have all experienced at one time or another, while merging. Pre-sense of course didn't help like I thought maybe it would.

My question is does Tesla have something that actually might have worked in that situation (either in FSD, autopilot or none) to avoid hitting the car in front of her? Or does the fact she was accelerating simply over-ride any collision avoidance that might have taken place?

Just curious. It's not really evident what the limitations of collision avoidance is with Tesla. Anyone with real world similar situations to relate to?

The Tesla in that situation would have definitely sounded a loud alarm as she approached the stopping vehicle (has personally saved me twice as I was looking to turn and the person in front of me stopped). The Tesla most likely would have completely stopped itself, 100% avoiding the collision. This doesn't always happen though, and depends on the exact circumstances.

Reactions: ratsbew
Tesla's have a collision warning system built in. This is in all cars independent of autopilot or FSD. It will warn you when you are approaching too fast to either a slow moving or stopped vehicle. You can set it to when you want it to warn you. I have mindset to early so that it won't give me plenty of time to react. It will stop the music and play a loud beeping as a warning. The early setting has been pretty sensitive, I found that if anything it warns me a little too often and a little too early but I prefer that so I've kept it on that setting. If you fail to react and a collision is imminent the car should stop itself however I've never run into that situation personally to know how reliable it is.

• Informative
Reactions: patrick80132
Like every other thread, ask this question to 10 people and you get 20 different answers :D
For me, the collision warning system has come up with the loud "beep beep beep" sound about 5 times in the last year. Two of those times were on surface streets where people were stopping very quickly in front of me and the other 3 were on a highway and initially I was thinking there is nothing wrong so why is it warning me, but then I see it was something like a car merging into my lane at a much slower speed about 200 or more in front of me which I would have had plenty of time to react to it and slow down without the warning, but I am glad it did warn me. One of those times there was an accident far down the interstate that I could not see, but obviously the radar noticed stopped cars. It gave me a lot of time to slow down and stop. So bottom line for me, I like it and think it is working well for me in the current recent software version I am on.

Reactions: ratsbew
I have mine set to "early". I'm a very cautious driver so I've only had it go off once...and it was for real and very well may have saved me. I had ample time to react after the warning, but could easily have been distracted long enough to not react if not for the alarm.

Some people who are more aggressive (...bad) drivers find that the "early" setting nags them too often.

If you're on autopilot you basically don't have to worry because TACC should maintain following distance. Of course, you do have to monitor autopilot just in case.