Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to coast drive happening this year for all FSD Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dig your optimism, let's hope V10 brings some significant improvements.
If they just fix the phantom braking I will be happy. Also the map is off from my cursor.

I am not experiencing any phantom braking anymore.

If you check my thread, What NOA needs to get to FSD on Highway, I outline some things that I believe NOA still needs to do before it can be FSD on Highway. It's a big list. V10 would need to bring some big improvements to make NOA FSD on Highway but yes, I like to be optimistic.

I wonder if V10 will require AP3? It seems like V10 will be the firmware version that gives us "FSD alpha" so I am thinking we are getting close to requiring AP3.

Then you are part of a very small minority. It had been getting better but abruptly got worse again with 24.4 for me. Abruptly slowing down still happens randomly depending on lighting, dips in the road, shadows, cars coming from the opposite direction on curves, parked cars. Then there's the microbraking for cars in adjacent lanes - indecisive about whether to slow to their speed or maintain your own, paralleling slower cars in adjacent lanes, and so on. I'm not sure why you're so lucky, but you are definitely not speaking for the majority.

Back to our usual program.

Then you are part of a very small minority. It had been getting better but abruptly got worse again with 24.4 for me. Abruptly slowing down still happens randomly depending on lighting, dips in the road, shadows, cars coming from the opposite direction on curves, parked cars. Then there's the microbraking for cars in adjacent lanes - indecisive about whether to slow to their speed or maintain your own, paralleling slower cars in adjacent lanes, and so on. I'm not sure why you're so lucky, but you are definitely not speaking for the majority.

What Tesla do you have? I have a newer Model 3 (2018) with AP2.5. That might be why my AP seems to perform better. Or maybe my roads in Indiana are just easier for AP to handle?

What Tesla do you have? I have a newer Model 3 (2018) with AP2.5. That might be why my AP seems to perform better. Or maybe my roads in Indiana are just easier for AP to handle?
I saw you ask the same question last time phantom braking was brought up. In my case it's a model S with AP2. However, I've seen enough posts on the forum to confirm it's a problem on 2.5, and even 3, with S/X, and 3. It's probably just your roads. Try it on relatively well marked open urban roads instead of open freeways as well.

I saw you ask the same question last time phantom braking was brought up. In my case it's a model S with AP2. However, I've seen enough posts on the forum to confirm it's a problem on 2.5, and even 3, with S/X, and 3. It's probably just your roads. Try it on relatively well marked open urban roads instead of open freeways as well.

I drive mostly roads like this.

upload_2019-7-28_18-16-14.png

• Funny
Reactions: Octo
In my case, phantom breaking happens when
- winding hilly sub-urban roads where a car coming in the opposite direction could be seen coming straight at you
- going next to a backed up lane where there is some vehicle movement (so the car thinks someone is going to jump into car's lane)

I have HW3, and I can confirm, "it remains a problem." Perhaps if I drank more Kool-Aid, it would go away? :p
Note: And I did buy the $6000 FSD option, unfortunately.

OK what counts as coast to coast exactly? The car will get out from a parking garage in California to a parking garage in {{ State In East Coast }}?

For such a trip I'd be on AP 99% of the time anyway. But the exits and parking etc. sound too complicated to happen even in a demonstration this year.

We might be getting closer to the coast to coast demo. Back in Sept 2018, Musk said that a coast to coast demo would probably require V10 alpha build.

So looks like V10 that Musk said would be the version that could do the coast to coast is coming soon. V10 is expected to bring improvements to NOA on highway and traffic light and stop sign response.

Here's the issue I see with this line of thinking. V10 is (allegedly) introducing advanced summon. That can be best described as snail's pace, dumb self driving. If the only thing they can do is creep around a parking lot and get stuck from time to time, a coast-to-coast FSD drive isn't in the cards.

I wonder what "improvements to autopilot on highway" involve? Could Navigate on AP actually become L3+ on highway with V10?

Hopefully something like "Doesn't panic brake when approaching signs and overpasses" or "doesn't accelerate toward stopped traffic on the highway". Those would be great improvements.

Then you're driving extremely simplistic roads.

V10 would need to bring some big improvements to make NOA FSD on Highway but yes, I like to be optimistic.

They'd literally need to be solving problems that nobody has solved yet, and no researcher has had insight into what a possible solution would be. FSD is a long, long time away. Navigate on Autopilot needs major improvements, none of which would make an appreciable dent in the "FSD" problem, but would seriously improve daily experience with NoAP.

I wonder if V10 will require AP3?

No. Tesla releases software to all their cars, they disable features different vehicles can't make use of (like AP3).

I am quite sure that as new FSD features come out and as the car is obliged to brake for more and more things, then Phantom braking will get a lot worse before it gets better

That's just not what phantom braking means. As the vehicle detects more obstacles it'll need to brake and/or avoid them. But phantom braking is hitting the brakes for no reason. It's an error, and if it gets worse than it is now, it'll cause more serious collisions than it already has. That's simply not a viable option.

- winding hilly sub-urban roads where a car coming in the opposite direction could be seen coming straight at you

Hilly sub-urban and rural roads even without being windy cause severe phantom braking and even kick off AEB for me. When the car is driving down a decline and approaching an incline, it panic brakes 100% of the time. I can easily reproduce it on a test route I use. Obviously the radar unit is detecting a serious obstruction, and the cameras aren't consulted at all.

- going next to a backed up lane where there is some vehicle movement (so the car thinks someone is going to jump into car's lane)

I have the opposite problem. When traffic is backed up during rush hour, my car only uses the vehicle in front of me to handle braking and acceleration. So as the highway slows as a whole, a human driver would begin to slow down a bit anticipating a stop. My car doesn't do this and instead accelerates toward stopped traffic. Not fun.

That's just not what phantom braking means. As the vehicle detects more obstacles it'll need to brake and/or avoid them. But phantom braking is hitting the brakes for no reason. It's an error, and if it gets worse than it is now, it'll cause more serious collisions than it already has. That's simply not a viable option.
But that's my point, the absolute false positives will increase, and it will get worse. Not viable? Maybe not, but that's what we're going to face, I can guarantee it.

OK what counts as coast to coast exactly? The car will get out from a parking garage in California to a parking garage in {{ State In East Coast }}?

Don't forget that it has to plug itself into the charger too.

Remember that what they sold was "you can summon from the other side of the country", i.e. there is no-one in the car to plug it in.

For such a trip I'd be on AP 99% of the time anyway. But the exits and parking etc. sound too complicated to happen even in a demonstration this year.

Well, you get to join us on the mad max caravan ... click on my sig