Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on NEMA 14-50 with Tesla mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to charge with my mobile connector at a vacation home that has a NEMA 14-50 outlet (see attached) . everything seems compatible but I notice that the outlet says 14-50 and 50A 125/250V ... and looking carefully at the tesla cable (came with car) on the inside of the plug it says 14-50 adapter then below that 30A 250 V. The plug configuration looks obviously compatible. I've used superchargers, have a Tesla wall connector at home and use Chargepoint at work, so have no experience with this configuration -- and just want to be sure there's no problem -- I'll literally be up in the mountains when I get to this NEMA 14-50! Any help greatly appreciated, tnx.

IMG_8350 (1).jpg

I have used the NEMA 14-50 for the last 4 years on 3 Tesla - as long as you have the correct adapter you should be OK. Plug all the way in, there were some reports of melting if there is a poor connection (kind of half way). I have my mobile Tesla adapter plugged in continuously, no worries so far.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
...just want to be sure there's no problem...

No problem at all.

Your mobile unit is a smart connector. It connects to your outlet and it makes sure your car does not use excessive Amperes and got overloaded.

Your mobile unit adapter also has a heat monitor circuit in case you worry that the 50A outlet might overload the 32A maximum rating for your unit.

Want to charge with my mobile connector at a vacation home that has a NEMA 14-50 outlet (see attached) . everything seems compatible but I notice that the outlet says 14-50 and 50A 125/250V ... and looking carefully at the tesla cable (came with car) on the inside of the plug it says 14-50 adapter then below that 30A 250 V. The plug configuration looks obviously compatible. I've used superchargers, have a Tesla wall connector at home and use Chargepoint at work, so have no experience with this configuration -- and just want to be sure there's no problem -- I'll literally be up in the mountains when I get to this NEMA 14-50! Any help greatly appreciated, tnx.

View attachment 423712

As long as that receptacle works, you are golden!!! What was it installed for? An RV?

If there is any question about the quality of the install and if you have extra time, you can crank the charge rate down to say 24a instead of 32... Most likely would be just fine at 32a.

I charge with a Gen2 Mobile Connector plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home. Just checked my Tesla 14-50 plug and you are correct: it says "30A 250V". Could be a typo, but the cars limit themselves to 32A (max) on the Gen2 Mobile Connectors anyway. You will be fine.

Hah, don’t get me started on this...

Rating on 6-50 UMC Gen 2 Adapter is only 30a rated - why?

That adapter will work just fine on a 14-50 receptacle. It will allow up to a 32a charge rate (even though it is labeled 30a). I think Tesla is playing a game somehow with the rating system.

It should all work great for you and be safe!

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Tam