Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge On Solar Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attached on the grid side of the Powerwall grid sensing CT, meaning the Wall Connector load cannot be seen by the Powerwall.
We had a similar issue at our place when we installed the Wall Connector, as it is connected at the meter box out front and not at the switchboard inside. We ended up moving the CTs from the switchboard to the meter box and that fixed the issue. It cost a few hundred bucks but was worth it.

Reactions: Vostok
Anyone else have issues with car not going to sleep since charge on solar came through? I seem to be down 5-6% everyday.

I’m very sure now that with CoS on, your vehicle will not go to sleep for any extended period, and will be woken at least every hour if not more often.

Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve done very little driving, but my battery has gone down from 81% to 58%. My car has not even been plugged in that whole time, because at 80% it had enough charge and I knew I wasn’t going to do much driving.

I’m pretty sure the reason is that CoS must poll your car periodically to see if it is plugged in, below the target SoC, and whether there is enough excess solar to start charging. If your car is not plugged in at time X, there is no way CoS can know whether it is still not plugged in at time X+1, without waking the car and asking it. So that’s exactly what it does.

The Tesla API is, as far as I know, stateless. Meaning it does not keep a record of any previous state.

So the only way to stop this constant waking is to turn CoS off if you know you don’t want or need to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz
I’m very sure now that with CoS on, your vehicle will not go to sleep for any extended period, and will be woken at least every hour if not more often.

Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve done very little driving, but my battery has gone down from 81% to 58%. My car has not even been plugged in that whole time, because at 80% it had enough charge and I knew I wasn’t going to do much driving.

I’m pretty sure the reason is that CoS must poll your car periodically to see if it is plugged in, below the target SoC, and whether there is enough excess solar to start charging. If your car is not plugged in at time X, there is no way CoS can know whether it is still not plugged in at time X+1, without waking the car and asking it. So that’s exactly what it does.

The Tesla API is, as far as I know, stateless. Meaning it does not keep a record of any previous state.

So the only way to stop this constant waking is to turn CoS off if you know you don’t want or need to charge.
Yeah, it's annoying. I reported on it last August here.

• Informative

It seems like a simple optimisation on Tesla's side would be to only poll the car after determining that there is excess solar available. At least it wouldn't poll the car over night then!

Of course even better would be for the car to notify the Tesla servers when it's plugged in or unplugged at home.

After reading this thread, and realizing I don’t have a CoS option in my app (phone paired to PW2) it seems like a better option to stick with ChargeHQ due to the issues with excessive waking of the which is already bad enough when checking the Tesla app. I hate how the car wakes up every time I want to monitor the PW2 operation, I wish there was a way to optimize this. Monitoring the PW through Home Assistant is OK.

After reading this thread, and realizing I don’t have a CoS option in my app (phone paired to PW2) it seems like a better option to stick with ChargeHQ due to the issues with excessive waking of the which is already bad enough when checking the Tesla app. I hate how the car wakes up every time I want to monitor the PW2 operation, I wish there was a way to optimize this.

You car should not wake up just using the Tesla App. My App defaults to opening showing the PW2 status and power flows, the car won’t wake unless I swipe right. If you leave it selected on the car then close the App or put it in the background, then next time you open it, it will wake the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: noddy@teamterm
You car should not wake up just using the Tesla App. My App defaults to opening showing the PW2 status and power flows, the car won’t wake unless I swipe right. If you leave it selected on the car then close the App or put it in the background, then next time you open it, it will wake the car.
I always leave the app on the Powerwall page and guaranteed the car wakes up every time I open the app (having left it on the PW page). I can hear the relays in the car clicking. I’m very surprised to hear you say your car doesn’t wake up even when just using the app to manage the PW.

Reactions: bcarp
I always leave the app on the Powerwall page and guaranteed the car wakes up every time I open the app (having left it on the PW page). I can hear the relays in the car clicking. I’m very surprised to hear you say your car doesn’t wake up even when just using the app to manage the PW.
Are you opening the app from the widget (which shows the status of the car, etc), or the app icon (which is just the Tesla logo)? I have both on my phone screen so I can use the icon when I just want to check the Powerwall, although I do find I forget to leave the app on the right screen pretty often.

Are you opening the app from the widget (which shows the status of the car, etc), or the app icon (which is just the Tesla logo)? I have both on my phone screen so I can use the icon when I just want to check the Powerwall, although I do find I forget to leave the app on the right screen pretty often.
Just the Tesla app icon, no widgets. I can’t believe I’m hearing that other people’s cars don’t wake up. I’m not certain why mine would be an anomaly here. There is no exception though, if it is asleep and I open the app directly to PW2 page it will wake up.

Just the Tesla app icon, no widgets. I can’t believe I’m hearing that other people’s cars don’t wake up. I’m not certain why mine would be an anomaly here. There is no exception though, if it is asleep and I open the app directly to PW2 page it will wake up.
Fair enough. I am not sure what the difference is. I have found CoS to work really well to avoid charging when I'm not producing enough power. I would still like control over prioritising the car or the Powerwall, but otherwise is has been good and I haven't been bothered by the car waking too frequently.

Fair enough. I am not sure what the difference is. I have found CoS to work really well to avoid charging when I'm not producing enough power. I would still like control over prioritising the car or the Powerwall, but otherwise is has been good and I haven't been bothered by the car waking too frequently.
ChargeHQ is much more flexible in that case as you can specify the battery or car priority. .

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 4
OK I think I have worked out how to stop CoS keeping the car awake and undoing all the charging it’s just done. I say “I think” because this seems a bit Ouija-Board-ish and sometimes with Tesla it’s very hard to do a repeatable experiment 🤣

What seemed to work is when you want to turn CoS off, don’t just turn it off via the controls (3 dots) if either charging is ongoing, or if the App says “waiting for sufficient solar”. If you do that, CoS seems to still be ‘active’ and will periodically wake your car even if you turn it off via the controls.

Instead, if either of those conditions are true, use the charge slider to set a target charge percentage below the current charge level and then wait until the App notifies you that “Charging has completed”. Then turn CoS off.

Note if the charge level is below 50%, you can’t force charge completion this way because it’s not possible via the app to set a target charge level below 50%. You have to wait until the car charge is over 50%, or grid-charge it until it is.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian