Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot tries to exit at every right lane exit opportunity (SoCal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just posted a separate thread on my experience, reality is that when using the system in the far left lane, on a highway (101), the system worked flawlessly for 60+ miles (including half at night.). It's the first of it's kind, from a company that has no business showcasing how to do this (but does it anyway.) It really works great -- really great.

Suggest leveraging this beta system with such controls -- if you want to really experience trouble-free self-driving. Of course, it is interesting to everyone to understand it's limitations, but clearly an individual can setup the driving scenario where limitations are minimized.

My car doesn't have AP, but a co-worker's car does... did an interesting test this afternoon:

Going down the highway at around 65 MPH, the AP wanted to exit at every potential exit, when driving in the right lane (not exit exclusive one). A gentle touch of the steering wheel kept it on the freeway, after some testing of course, but an interesting behavior.

It sometimes does this, but often does not. I think as noted below, it depends mostly on the lane markings.

Drove four hours worth of northern New Hampshire and Vermont interstate today and it was my first chance to significantly try out the autopilot.

It is definitely beta. What I found driving at the speed limit in the right hand lane the whole way was that the issue described in this thread subject depends on the specific lane markings for each exit.

My own experience pretty closely mirrors yours. Performance is better in the center or left lanes as well. After driving 600 or so miles of interstate with autopilot, I've also noticed that it depends a bit on the quality of the markings. If the right side marking is blinking in and out, the car will tend to prefer to follow the left hand markings and it will ignore exits even when they don't have the dotted lines. If you are willing to allow the car to wander (for instance when the highway is mostly empty), it will sometimes correct itself and return to the proper lane when the additional white line pops up. This is more or less related to the functionality when you abort a turn signal. If it is only 1/3rd into the exit lane when the new markings pop up, it will correct somewhat sharply back into the travel lane.

So with AP on the car often veers into a freeway exit lane when that is not the drivers intent, but when the driver indicates their intent to exit by activating the turn signal the car doesn't take the exit lane?

I suspect the signal doesn't affect the car's decision at all, it either prefers to take the exit or stay on the freeway depending on how it reads the road; it thinks it is staying on the road. But I haven't tested enough to know for sure.

As others stated, you normally cannot get it to turn into the exit lane. Once in a great while, if the exit lane is sufficiently long you can make the exit. I believe the key is that the car has to have detected the adjacent lane. You can see the ghost lanes to either side of you in the IC -- if the exit lane is long enough that the ghost lane has popped up, you can signal and exit. This is pretty rare, but in certain cases roads are built with unusually long exit lanes, especially for major interchanges. Normal exits never permit you to do so. I'm not sure that I think this is particularly required, since you almost always need to be slowing down anyhow.

There is something I'd like to see changed however. When you click once to activate TACC, it resumes to the last set speed. If you follow that with a long pull, it will reset to the speed limit (+/- offset). If you start with a long pull, it will resume to the last set speed -- you cannot go directly to the speed limit. The workaround used to be to pull it one to resume TACC and then long pull before it had a chance to reach whatever inappropriate prior set speed it last used. If you do that today, you will also engage autosteer because the second pull gets processed as requesting autosteer. I really think it would be much better if an initial long pull set TACC to the speed limit +/- offset instead of resuming the prior set speed.

Just as a data point, I'm borrowing my brother's AP-equipped S and today while cruising on a three lane highway, it turned into the exit and I took back control and stayed in the right most lane. Not sure why it did, the lines were clear, visibility was good. Otherwise for a short 30-mile-ish trek, using AP was very cool!