Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I ran into another bizarre issue with the autopilot system, specifically just the cruise control feature. This morning, while cruising through our metro-west tunnel at the speed limit of 90, my car kept randomly dropping the speed to a maximum of 80 and hitting the brakes. I reckon this is what people refer to as "phantom braking," right?

On my way back home through the same tunnel, the speed was set at 90, yet the car started braking without any change in the displayed speed limit. And mind you, there were no cars ahead of me. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, any ideas on how to resolve it?

So I think maybe my indicator buttons might have intermittently lost their haptic feedback, or something.
A couple of times today I went to indicate and nothing happened, and when the indicator did come on I didn’t get that normal feedback.
Or it could have just been me.
I started logging bugs when it was happening and I’ll keep doing it if it continues so I can log a service. It started behaving again when I went to record it.

I recall someone else here logging a service ticket on it? If so, how did you go?
That’s me. I have already added two instances where it happened yesterday. I just added the notes to the messages section of my service booking in the T app.

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
That’s me. I have already added two instances where it happened yesterday. I just added the notes to the messages section of my service booking in the T app.
Cool, I’ll put a service request in if it keeps doing it today. We have some earlier examples so if there is an issue hopefully we can help them work out a fix so others are not affected.

Reactions: Jules22
IMG_0272.jpeg

Was getting this “500 server error” last night. Not sure what that’s about. It went away though.

Reactions: FilthyCyberRat
I have just this second, finished reading through all 114 pages of this thread.

Took me about a week, and have learned an absolute bunch of useful things! So thanks for all of your collective input.

The most important thing I've learned though, is that Dronus has a much higher pube yield than a regular person.
I am collecting them all to make pillows and matted blankets for stray animals. Coming soon to ETSY.

Does the battery warming only work with scheduled departure? Ie if I’m at work at I remotely set the climate control on the warm the cabin up, will it also warm the battery if it needs it?
Or does that only happen if you use scheduled departure?
It works if you just select "climate on" from the app, if the battery needs to be warmed it will warm it. The app tells you if it's doing this (which is how I know).

It also works the same if you use a phone automation to turn climate on, which is what I do quite often rather than using scheduled departure. You could use an automation for your afternoon pre-conditioning if you find the "location-aware" departure doesn't work for you.
I don't think it heats the battery unless around or below 0C and plugged in according to other comments in other parts of TMC forum and then the heating is only until 5C. But could be wrong.
In my experience it definitely heats the battery at warmer temps than that - in my climate it is anything between 5C and 10C ambient in the morning this time of year, and it warms the battery every morning. I haven't yet checked to see what temp it warms the battery to. It may be worthy of note that I have LFP cells, and I think they like to be a bit warmer than NMC/NCA cells (which may have been the cells you have read about elsewhere: I have read a post by AKKEE that in 0C ambient his car only preconditions the battery to 5C).

What I have noticed while driving however (when I think to turn on the app) is that it will continue to warm the battery until it reaches about 22C, or if ambient is above about 15C, it will let the battery warm even higher (seems a certain amount above ambient, like 7C above or something). While that is happening, the max regen is also increasing with temperature (e.g. 62kW at 18C up to max 85kW at 22C) - so I'm guessing it may be doing this to optimise performance as much as battery protection.

• Informative
Reactions: dronus and Jules22
So I think maybe my indicator buttons might have intermittently lost their haptic feedback, or something.
A couple of times today I went to indicate and nothing happened, and when the indicator did come on I didn’t get that normal feedback.
Or it could have just been me.
I started logging bugs when it was happening and I’ll keep doing it if it continues so I can log a service. It started behaving again when I went to record it.

I recall someone else here logging a service ticket on it? If so, how did you go?
How do you log a bug? I'm sure if I read the manual I could find out for myself but since I have to mow the lawns I am far too busy for such things.

How do you log a bug? I'm sure if I read the manual I could find out for myself but since I have to mow the lawns I am far too busy for such things.
My lawns are up to my knees, pretty sure the dog now lives in a wigwam out there.
I need my petrol lawnmower to break so I can go buy an electric one. I’ve always wanted a flymo but unless they have hardcore versions it might not survive. A battery one might be ok. I have run out of petrol in my jerrycan and it’s logistically and anxiety inducing going to the servo to get fuel. I do have spare fuel for the generator (a good thing to have when our power will go out) but that’s out of bounds.

Until then, the dog gets his own place.

What were we talking about?

Reactions: Moops
My lawns are up to my knees, pretty sure the dog now lives in a wigwam out there.
I need my petrol lawnmower to break so I can go buy an electric one. I’ve always wanted a flymo but unless they have hardcore versions it might not survive. A battery one might be ok. I have run out of petrol in my jerrycan and it’s logistically and anxiety inducing going to the servo to get fuel. I do have spare fuel for the generator (a good thing to have when our power will go out) but that’s out of bounds.

Until then, the dog gets his own place.

What were we talking about?

You might need an environmental impact statement and a search for endangered species before you start, but I can recommend EGO electric mowers and powered garden tools.

Heaps of power and good finish.

In summer the battery temp after city driving appears to be around 30-35C.

In autumn currently it's around 25-30c.

I think it has a range of operating temps but I'm not certain of exactly what it is. Driving will produce heat from battery discharge and motors + motor inverters, so the heat will distribute depending on what the car needs in certain places

Reactions: Max Spaghetti