Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/31 TX res non-owner vs. Put res today WI owner - who gets invite 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaphod

Galaxy President (former)
Dec 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Okay, seeking opinions on this scenario.

Facts:
  • I'm a 3/31 reservation holder (online before reveal) non-owner living in TX.
  • My brother is an owner, but does not currently have a reservation and lives in WI.
  • TX and WI both do not allow Tesla direct sales, but think situation in TX is better than WI as don't believe WI can even have service centers or galleries, while TX they can.
  • My current timeline for first production is April-June.
Originally, I did not consider asking my brother to put in reservation for me as I expected production ramp to go more smoothly and my initial estimates were December-February I believe. Now in light of the situation, I am now considering asking him. It seems that ownership is overriding all other factors at this point. However with him being in WI, which I believe has only 1 delivery and minimal number of invites (if any, not sure), not sure if it is worth the hassle. But being that car would be delivered to TX instead of WI, maybe that improves possibilities.

I guess only way to now for sure is have him put in reservation and roll the dice. We can always get the deposit back, if for some reason my invite comes first. Even if I use his reservation, I would still keep mine for dual motor or performance version later.

Any educated guesses?

Educated guess: owner before non-owner. However, I caution you a little bit... there's a reason that owners are before non-owners that exceeds the "thanks for your loyalty" reason given... there are going to be growing pains and weirdness. People that have had Teslas before know it, and expect it, and most will continue to be loyal fans almost beyond reason, whereas non-owners may be disappointed in elements of the vehicle, and the halo effect may cause overall dissatisfaction with the vehicle. (I say this as an ridiculous "I love my car no matter what" S owner... nothing overly perjorative to the fanbois out there.)

So if you wait, many of the issues will hopefully be ironed out. Also, in TX, I hear rumors that they may extend the $2500 credit to Tesla. Again, I'm a "chomping at the bit, give me my car now" person, so I would absolutely get in both lines, despite the hassle and possible loss of credit, but I (and many owners) are completely nuts. You may not be as nuts :D

Educated guess: owner before non-owner. However, I caution you a little bit... there's a reason that owners are before non-owners that exceeds the "thanks for your loyalty" reason given... there are going to be growing pains and weirdness. People that have had Teslas before know it, and expect it, and most will continue to be loyal fans almost beyond reason, whereas non-owners may be disappointed in elements of the vehicle, and the halo effect may cause overall dissatisfaction with the vehicle. (I say this as an ridiculous "I love my car no matter what" S owner... nothing overly perjorative to the fanbois out there.)

So if you wait, many of the issues will hopefully be ironed out. Also, in TX, I hear rumors that they may extend the $2500 credit to Tesla. Again, I'm a "chomping at the bit, give me my car now" person, so I would absolutely get in both lines, despite the hassle and possible loss of credit, but I (and many owners) are completely nuts. You may not be as nuts :D
Oh, well aware of the early adopter potential quirks and pains. Even though not an owner, have been around them and the community long enough to understand the risks.

• My brother is an owner, but does not currently have a reservation and lives in WI.
  • TX and WI both do not allow Tesla direct sales, but think situation in TX is better than WI as don't believe WI can even have service centers or galleries, while TX they can.

Hi. I have looked at the data on the invites spreadsheet and your brother would definitely get his invite first and most likely within this month. There are no issues in TX or WI. Most owners in both states have already received their invites. I think you can have the car delivered to anywhere. His WI location is not important.

If your brother reserves now, it is likely that he will get his car next month. I created a special link for you that opens to a filtered view which shows only owners from WI and TX. Click here. I will remove this later.

I guess only way to now for sure is have him put in reservation and roll the dice. We can always get the deposit back, if for some reason my invite comes first. Even if I use his reservation, I would still keep mine for dual motor or performance version later.

If you configure an RWD version using your brother's account, it is likely that you won't get the AWD version with your account before 30 Sep 2018 which means $3,750 tax credits instead of $7,500. It might be a better strategy to use your brothers account for the AWD version so you can get it delivered before 30 Sep 2018. By the way, if your brother bought more than one Tesla in the past, he will have priority for each of them.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Hi. I have looked at the data on the invites spreadsheet and your brother would definitely get his invite first and most likely within this month. There are no issues in TX or WI. Most owners in both states have already received their invites. I think you can have the car delivered to anywhere. His WI location is not important.

If your brother reserves now, it is likely that he will get his car next month. I created a special link for you that opens to a filtered view which shows only owners from WI and TX. Click here. I will remove this later.

If you configure an RWD version using your brother's account, it is likely that you won't get the AWD version with your account before 30 Sep 2018 which means $3,750 tax credits instead of $7,500. It might be a better strategy to use your brothers account for the AWD version so you can get it delivered before 30 Sep 2018. By the way, if your brother bought more than one Tesla in the past, he will have priority for each of them.
Thanks for the work you do! Lots of things to contemplate.

Owner comes first— and it has nothing to do with states allowing direct sales or not. The reservations are all handled online.
While that is most likely true, it seemed like WI was disproportionately lacking in receiving invites, at least to me. But then again, number of owners in WI is probably much less than I think there is, so I guess maybe the number of invites reflects that.

When does the $2,500 credit actually go into effect though?

If I remember correctly you would jump over about 90,000 people by using his reservation. Not all of those will order right away so you could end up saving 2-4 months. I see no downside other then having $1,000 tied up for a few months.

Who knows IF it will happen, much less when. In Texas, I wouldn't wait unless I was really in zero hurry.. then there's a potential 2500 upside, no downside, but that is more than offset by the decrease in federal credit, so if it crossed that cutoff... Literally zero advantage to waiting.
Ok just making sure, cause I have found 0 about it and I bought a leaf last year that would have qualified.