Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2k reservation good/bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need an advice on whether I should purchase a 2k reservation from a source. Non-owner with an estimation window Jul-Sep. I really want the car. Not sure if I should wait or purchase it now. The federal tax credit is a big time deciding factor...

Need an advice on whether I should purchase a 2k reservation from a source. Non-owner with an estimation window Jul-Sep. I really want the car. Not sure if I should wait or purchase it now. The federal tax credit is a big time deciding factor...

If it's a non-owner spot I would say no. If you were to buy a owner spot you would likely have the car within 2 months.

It's a spot given by a S owner, ready to configure as of yesterday. He would give it up for 2k cash.

I’m doing this now because I just can’t wait. Configured 2-11-18, all my info into MS owner account with his M3 reservation number. Paid him $1750 plus I paid the build fee with my info and my CC also on his account. Waiting for VIN to be assigned, to transfer into my account along with my Day 1, M3 reservation, now showing Mar-May for first production. So Cal, OC. We shall see when the VIN is assigned?

I’m doing this now because I just can’t wait. Configured 2-11-18, all my info into MS owner account with his M3 reservation number. Paid him $1750 plus I paid the build fee with my info and my CC also on his account. Waiting for VIN to be assigned, to transfer into my account along with my Day 1, M3 reservation, now showing Mar-May for first production. So Cal, OC. We shall see when the VIN is assigned?

Thank you for the info. Please let me know when you get your VIN assigned and if you are having trouble in any steps of the process. What color and configuration did you go with? My guy charges $2000 with a written contract. I may get it this weekend...

FF6CCA98-EB0A-4231-BECD-D4E07021126A.jpeg
Thank you for the info. Please let me know when you get your VIN assigned and if you are having trouble in any steps of the process. What color and configuration did you go with? My guy charges $2000 with a written contract. I may get it this weekend...

Will keep you updated on the VIN. See the screen shot.

You guys have given a total stranger your cc info? Hope it works out you. More trusting than I could be.

Trust with protection! LOL, I also obtained a written contract between us that included language specifically stating that he could not use my credit card for anything other than this vehicle purchase and a copy of his drivers license and his personal vehicle info.

• Funny
Reactions: Petesjca and T34ME
You're able to order on the Model S owners account but then Tesla will switch the purchase to your reservation? So the final purchase will be by you as the sole owner and thus you'll get all the incentives as well? I know a MS owner with a M3 invite while my date got pushed back to Aug-Oct time frame. Hum...

FYI from talking with Tesla inside sales team, they are more aware of the mechanisms used to jump the line than you may think. The one particular trait of assigning a completely different name in configuration sign up is likely the first to go. For S owners selling these at a profit and causing line jumping, shame on you. I believe this worse than the behavior of dealers selling over sticker price due to popularity.

For anyone doing this, I would ensure you have some ability to back out with full monies returned if Tesla catch the situation and cancel/reassign/delay your order.

Unfortunately, Tesla may be aware but can't and won't really catch it. Would be a giant legal threat if they started questioning the relationship between the original reservation holder and the person who was submitted as the registered owner. Could be a closeted gay couple, a family with different names, etc. If Tesla starts challenging that, they would be opening themselves up for lawsuits and terrible press. "Tesla harasses gay couple during car purchase." With how politically correct the world is, there's no chance Tesla starts questioning people. It probably annoys the hell out of them but I just don't see it happening.

The ability to assign a different name during registration process will not go away. That would mean you can't buy a car for a spouse, child, employee, etc.

Additionally, I've seen the purchase agreement that is outputted after you submit a model 3 order and nothing in the agreement says anything about the reservation being tied to the original reserver.

FYI from talking with Tesla inside sales team, they are more aware of the mechanisms used to jump the line than you may think. The one particular trait of assigning a completely different name in configuration sign up is likely the first to go. For S owners selling these at a profit and causing line jumping, shame on you. I believe this worse than the behavior of dealers selling over sticker price due to popularity.

For anyone doing this, I would ensure you have some ability to back out with full monies returned if Tesla catch the situation and cancel/reassign/delay your order.

Trust with protection! LOL, I also obtained a written contract between us that included language specifically stating that he could not use my credit card for anything other than this vehicle purchase and a copy of his drivers license and his personal vehicle info.
A written contract not to misuse your cc, huh? Then you should be safe.

This forum is going to be fun as more and more people do dumb things out of desperation. Get your popcorn.

Unfortunately, Tesla may be aware but can't and won't really catch it. Would be a giant legal threat if they started questioning the relationship between the original reservation holder and the person who was submitted as the registered owner. Could be a closeted gay couple, a family with different names, etc. If Tesla starts challenging that, they would be opening themselves up for lawsuits and terrible press. "Tesla harasses gay couple during car purchase." With how politically correct the world is, there's no chance Tesla starts questioning people. It probably annoys the hell out of them but I just don't see it happening.

The ability to assign a different name during registration process will not go away. That would mean you can't buy a car for a spouse, child, employee, etc.

Additionally, I've seen the purchase agreement that is outputted after you submit a model 3 order and nothing in the agreement says anything about the reservation being tied to the original reserver.
So what I see them doing, is stopping all owner preferences and going to non owners with no preferences for anyone. This will not stop all the transfers but a person buying the reservation can no longer be assured that he is buying a preferenced reservation.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
So what I see them doing, is stopping all owner preferences and going to non owners with no preferences for anyone. This will not stop all the transfers but a person buying the reservation can no longer be assured that he is buying a preferenced reservation.
Perhaps, though it is significantly easier to enforce the existing agreement of reservations being non-transferable.

@Nurkbonis welcome to the forum. Enforcing the non-transferability of the reservation, whilst allowing a name to be added would be sufficient for family and SOs. It would hopefully make those people selling for profit be encumbered with additional complexity whilst the purchaser would not be able to wholly own the car until after it is sold. Someone may do this with a close friend, though I can’t imagine someone thinking this a good idea (a stranger owning half your property after you’ve paid for it) irrespective of any secondary contract being written.

Seen this agreement too and my point was not the contract for purchase. It was the reservation agreement.

Adding a name to reservation is likely all that is required. Having completely different names, replacing the original reserver, with no check being currently in place enables abuse.

Btw The NDA and the restriction from resale are not in the agreement now too, apparently ;)