Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the Tesla rated wH/mi for 2024 Model Y Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the EPA updated their Wh/mi rating for the Model Y in 2024--and as a result, Tesla reduced the range they list on their website from 330 to 310.

I'm trying to figure out what that Wh/mi is, and what Tesla's Wh/mi rating is (if they have a different number--I'm unclear on that as well).

When I look at the energy consumption graph in my vehicle, the "rated" line looks to me like it's at about 270 Wh/mi. This is curious to me because the 2023 EPA rating appears to be 280 Wh/mi:
1713360859031.png

28 kWh/100 mi = 280 Wh/mi

2024 numbers aren't available for a Tesla Model Y on the FuelEconomy.gov site as of today.

I would expect the rated Wh/mi to go up if we saw a decrease in EPA range, but I'm pretty confident that the line I'm seeing in the vehicle is less than 280 Wh/mi (and not more).

I've got a TeslaFi subscription, and they are running their calculations based on roughly 248 Wh/mi. For example:
1713361561395.png

If 252 Wh/mi is 98.3% efficiency, then 100% efficiency would be 248 Wh/mi (rounding to three significant figures).

My real world efficiency is around 270 Wh/mi, which I know is what really matters--still, I am curious what the EPA rating is and (if different) what Tesla's rating is. Is this published anywhere?

Last edited:
As far as I know Tesla doesn't publish the Wh/mi number but you can do some quick math based on their range estimate to get close to Teslafi:

Assume usable capacity at 100% SOC is 78 kwh or 7800 Wh and divide by 310 = 252 Wh/mi. I'm not certain on the usable capacity though...just an educated guess based on past experience.
I understand that the EPA updated their Wh/mi rating for the Model Y in 2024--and as a result, Tesla reduced the range they list on their website from 330 to 310.

I'm trying to figure out what that Wh/mi is, and what Tesla's Wh/mi rating is (if they have a different number--I'm unclear on that as well).

When I look at the energy consumption graph in my vehicle, the "rated" line looks to me like it's at about 270 Wh/mi. This is curious to me because the 2023 EPA rating appears to be 280 Wh/mi:
View attachment 1039294

2024 numbers aren't available for a Tesla Model Y on the FuelEconomy.gov site as of today.

I would expect the rated Wh/mi to go up if we saw a decrease in EPA range, but I'm pretty confident that the line I'm seeing in the vehicle is less than 280 Wh/mi (and not more).

I've got a TeslaFi subscription, and they are running their calculations based on roughly 248 Wh/mi. For example:
View attachment 1039299

If 252 Wh/mi is 98.3% efficiency, then 100% efficiency would be 248 Wh/mi (rounding to three significant figures).

My real world efficiency is around 270 Wh/mi, which I know is what really matters--still, I am curious what the EPA rating is and (if different) what Tesla's rating is). Is this published anywhere?

First off, this is a Model 3 forum ;)

The "28 kWh/100 mi" blended fuel economy figure is a weighted 55/45% mix of MPGe for city/highway driving, and is NOT the same thing as the range test. The range test involves running the car down until it stops moving with 5 different test cycles (Tesla's choice). Then the combined weighted ranges are derated by ~25-30% for your EPA range figure.

So your "100% efficiency" is actually only ~80% of the efficiency the EPA achieved in their testing. However their average speed is ~45 MPH in the lab with limited A/C and extremely gentle driving.

For 2023, the EPA is saying the Model Y LR gets 330 miles of range with energy consumption at a rate of 28kWh/100 miles.

That means you'd consume 92.4 kWh after driving 330 miles.

But you're saying that the usable capacity of the battery pack is probably only about 78 kWh?

I think I have more questions about all these numbers than when I started!

For 2023, the EPA is saying the Model Y LR gets 330 miles of range with energy consumption at a rate of 28kWh/100 miles.

That means you'd consume 92.4 kWh after driving 330 miles.

But you're saying that the usable capacity of the battery pack is probably only about 78 kWh?

I think I have more questions about all these numbers than when I started!
My understanding was the consumption number on the website includes changing losses....not only energy used to travel somewhere....which obviously is lower.

Reactions: yesimon

View attachment 1039294

View attachment 1039299

My real world efficiency is around 270 Wh/mi, which I know is what really matters--still, I am curious what the EPA rating is and (if different) what Tesla's rating is. Is this published anywhere?
EPA number includes AC charging losses. These are about 11%.

If you use the energy screen method you can come up with 79.5kWh (degradation threshold) for 304 rated miles so the constant is about 262Wh/mi. This will align basically exactly with your rated line, except you have to add 5Wh/mi (I don’t make the rules). So the line is probably 267Wh/mi. However that 262Wh/mi is the charging constant so the driving constant is 95.5% of this which is 250Wh/mi. Probably what TeslaFi is using but who knows.

262Wh/mi/0.89 is 29.4kWh/100mi so that is what I expect roughly for the AC rating. Likely a little lower due to the 304/310 discrepancy. So 29kWh/100mi.

Probably Tesla will adjust to 310 miles at 100% once the EPA docs are finalized.

In case this is useful to others: there appear to be multiple values used for rated consumption Wh/mi (at least on the software version I'm on--and even that is confusing--see below).

On the energy consumption graph, when the Avg Wh/mi number is 267 or 268, it lines up exactly with the gray bar for "rated" consumption. So that would suggest that rated consumption is 267 or 268 Wh/mi.

However, that same screen also shows the projected range at your current Avg consumption. The projected range matches the range displayed at the top of my screen when the Avg consumption is 262 Wh/mi (and when Avg Wh/mi is 267 or 268, projected range is around 1% lower than the range at the top of the screen). So this suggests the rated consumption is 262 Wh/mi.

I've also used the trip meter to compare actual distance travel to range depleted. For instance, I drove 20 miles, and observed the range depleted (at the top of the screen) by 20 miles, with consumption at 253 Wh/mi.

And TeslaFi reports rated consumption as 247 Wh/mi. I'm not sure if that's something coming from the API or just what TeslaFi uses for a 2024 Model Y (my vehicle).

I'm going to assume that the range calculation displayed at the top of the screen is based on something around 250 Wh/mi. That seems to be supported by the experiments I've done with trip calculations--when I am around 250 Wh/mi for the trip, my range diminishes by the actual distance traveled. Higher consumption numbers resulted in the range diminishing by greater than the distance I've actually traveled.

Regarding my software version: the Tesla app says I have "Version: v11.1 (2024.3.15 afde5696006b)", but when I click on "Release Notes" it shows "FSD (Supervised) v12.3.4". I'm not sure which of those numbers is "the version" that I have installed.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
In case this is useful to others: there appear to be multiple values used for rated consumption Wh/mi (at least on the software version I'm on--and even that is confusing--see below).

On the energy consumption graph, when the Avg Wh/mi number is 267 or 268, it lines up exactly with the gray bar for "rated" consumption. So that would suggest that rated consumption is 267 or 268 Wh/mi.

However, that same screen also shows the projected range at your current Avg consumption. The projected range matches the range displayed at the top of my screen when the Avg consumption is 262 Wh/mi (and when Avg Wh/mi is 267 or 268, projected range is around 1% lower than the range at the top of the screen). So this suggests the rated consumption is 262 Wh/mi.

I've also used the trip meter to compare actual distance travel to range depleted. For instance, I drove 20 miles, and observed the range depleted (at the top of the screen) by 20 miles, with consumption at 253 Wh/mi.

And TeslaFi reports rated consumption as 247 Wh/mi. I'm not sure if that's something coming from the API or just what TeslaFi uses for a 2024 Model Y (my vehicle).

I'm going to assume that the range calculation displayed at the top of the screen is based on something around 250 Wh/mi. That seems to be supported by the experiments I've done with trip calculations--when I am around 250 Wh/mi for the trip, my range diminishes by the actual distance traveled. Higher consumption numbers resulted in the range diminishing by greater than the distance I've actually traveled.

Regarding my software version: the Tesla app says I have "Version: v11.1 (2024.3.15 afde5696006b)", but when I click on "Release Notes" it shows "FSD (Supervised) v12.3.4". I'm not sure which of those numbers is "the version" that I have installed.
Thanks for the info confirming the post prior to yours.

This is all normal.

The constant is 262Wh/mi per your information. This makes sense because 262Wh/mi*304mi is 79.6kWh (includes the buffer!), the degradation threshold owners are observing.

The rated line is always 5Wh/mi higher than the constant so it will be at 267Wh/mi. Just the way it works, there is no apparent reason for this.

When driving you’ll always need to do 4.5% lower than the rating to get mile-for-mile rolloff. This is due to the buffer, which is 4.5%.
So 262Wh/mi * 0.955 = 250Wh/mi. Usually one actually comes in a bit (0.5-1%) below this but it may not be happening for you since your car may exceed the degradation threshold so actual energy content per mile may be slightly higher than 262Wh/mi.

All totally fine and exactly as expected based on 304 miles corresponding to about 79.6kWh (or 79.5kWh).

The degradation threshold is about 79.6kWh or 79.5kWh. Energy greater than this can only be seen directly on CAN bus. The excess energy is accounted for by more energetic “inflated” rated miles. The only way to see it indirectly is to carefully meter rated miles consumed for a given amount of energy used as alluded to above. This is very difficult for a variety of reasons. If for example an owner has 81kWh rather than 79.6kWh I think it should be possible to detect, though - you’d get about 255Wh/mi for mile-for-mile rolloff.

All observations are completely consistent with the normal framework.

Last edited: