Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To further what @SSedan mentioned, you are allowed to use a combination of Romex and THHN (in conduit of course) as long as they are joined in a proper Junction Box. Run less expensive THHN in conduit where you can, if yo have an area where conduit would be impossible end it in a j-box and continue on with Romex.
Thanks. I cannot find #4/2 THHN wire online. So I will have to call local electrical supply stores next week to get some pricing.

Ampacity Chart...

Ampacity-Chart.png

Thanks. I cannot find #4/2 THHN wire online. So I will have to call local electrical supply stores next week to get some pricing.
THHN is individual wires so you would buy two of the larger gauge and a single smaller ground, it is not prebundled, hence the need for conduit.

A 100ft. Run of THHN for a 4 gauge circuit would be 200ft of 4 gauge and 100ft. of 8 or maybe as small as 10gauge for the ground. A 14-50 outlet requires an additional neutral which is hot conductor sized so it would be 300ft. of the large gauge.

Reactions: NY_Rob
Wanted to ask you how far was your distance from the panel? I looked up prices of #4/3 copper wire at Home Depot. They are charging $4.63/ft plus tax. Unfortunately for me, my garage is on the other end of the house and the panel is at the opposite end. So for me it would be like 80-90 ft. That was another reason I did not get it installed last time I was thinking about it. Just the material cost was high. Should I go for #6/3 instead? As per the chart here, #6/3 should be able to handle upto 65 Amp. Home charging Wiring Guide

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on what wire to use for that long distance. I have 3 car garage and I am trying to install the EVSE on the wall between the first and second door. That way, I could charge either car with that single charger.

So, I have a 100amp sub panel in my garage, so my run was only like 37ft. I used #4 THHN. I picked it up at a local electrical supply store for like $0.78/foot.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
@canbonbon 4 gauge THHN is rated for 75amps continuous load do yo need that much current?
If doing a wall connector it is reasonable to aim for overkill. A snapshot of what is adequate today does not predict the future.

If $40 upsizing of wire is such a scary thing might I recommend a $3000 used Fusion Hybrid rather than a new $40k+ vehicle. The shear drive around here to skimp on charging solutions as much as possible is insane. Easily the best example I have ever seen of "penny wise and pound foolish".

Reactions: iustin
@canbonbon 4 gauge THHN is rated for 75amps continuous load do yo need that much current?
First of all, thank you all for responding. I have a 2018 Model S and I am hopefully going for a M-Y (after I test drive). So those are the two cars (for the forcible future) that would need to be charged. And I am not thinking of charging them simultaneously either. Maybe alternate days? As I said, my run from the panel is long. So someone suggested #4 wire because the run is long. I know the new Tesla EVSE maxes out at 48 AMP. So realistically, my need is to go for something that would fully support that EVSE. Do you think I could just get #6/3 (as it would also have the neutral that NEMA 14-50 outlet would require)? Just trying to find the best (cheapest) solution for my needs. Someone else also suggested running two #6/3s so that would give me a flexibility of installing two charges if there is ever such need. Let me know your thoughts as I am just starting to plan for this. So looking for suggestions/ideas how to best to accomplish this.

^ if you're looking to eventually have two Tesla Wall Chargers on one circuit, then #4 THHN would be best.
They could "load share" at up to 32amps each simultaneously. In some areas you need a local disconnect ($20 item as commonly used in outdoor mini-split A/C's) at the termination point when over 50amp breaker is used, so keep that in mind. Local codes get tricky when you start going into larger amperage circuits. The circuit above would need an 80amp breaker, you might be talking about a sub panel at that point?... sorry I don't know your local codes.

If you want to run each EVSE on it's own circuit and software lock them at 40 amps you could easily go with #6 or maybe #8 THHN. Of course you will need two 240v 50 amp breakers, make sure you have 4 slots open in your load center. No sub panels or local disconnect needed for this setup, just direct run from your breaker to your EVSE.

FWIW- I've been running my Juicebox 40 set at 32amps (on a 40amp breaker) for 3yrs now on #8 UF-B and it doesn't even get warm when charging for hours at a time.

In the process of building a new house, I setup 400amp service to the house and ran two 50 amp circuits in my garage. In addition, I will have a 60x80 garage with a separate service so I will have plenty of power for all my new toys. ;) Getting a model Y now and have the cybertruck tri motor on order. Then when ford gets the all electric cargo vans I will switch out my ICE van. Last one I need to convince is the wife. Maybe after she drives the Y, she will be hooked. Wont be the first time I had to convince her on new tech....when smartphones come out she didnt see the need.....now I can pry her iphone out of her hands. LOL

^ congrats! And make sure your garage door is large enough for the CyberTruck.. she's a big beast :D

I also had to drag my wife into the 20th and now 21 Century tech.. it's the price we pay for being married to wonderful women.

I just got the Chargepoint Home Flex. Running off a 14-50 outlet and 50 amp breaker so it will max out at 40 amps charging. With this unit I can charge our new MY and my wifes Leaf and her future Mustang Mach E. If I only owned Tesla's I would get their wall charger and install with 60 amp breaker.

In the process of building a new house, I setup 400amp service to the house and ran two 50 amp circuits in my garage. In addition, I will have a 60x80 garage with a separate service so I will have plenty of power for all my new toys. ;) Getting a model Y now and have the cybertruck tri motor on order. Then when ford gets the all electric cargo vans I will switch out my ICE van. Last one I need to convince is the wife. Maybe after she drives the Y, she will be hooked. Wont be the first time I had to convince her on new tech....when smartphones come out she didnt see the need.....now I can pry her iphone out of her hands. LOL
As long as you are in construction go ahead and run two 60 amp circuits so when you install the Tesla wall charger you can get the full 48 amps of power.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
@aznkorboi, if you want a shorter charging time to achieve the same miles of range, go for the 32A option. Your charging rate (miles/hr of charge) will roughly scale with the amperage of the charger (if the voltage is the same) so 32A will charge roughly twice as fast as 16A. If the charging rate isn't that important for you, save some money and go for 16A.

We have the Tesla Wall Connector tied into a 240V/50A circuit and get about 33-34 miles/hr of charge on a Model 3 (adding a Model Y soon). But we're not charging anything other than Teslas.
Wall Connector

I assume your first Telsa will be a Model 3?

I have a bit of an issue, Model Y coming at the end of this month and just realized the length of the charging cord is only 20 ft. I have a detached garage that doesn’t have electricity and the 50 Amp outlet is on the house which is about 35 ft away, what are my options?