Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2) The change to Ryzen based MCU happened around the start of 2022. That means there are potentially people who cars are just over 2 years old that are effectively considered "legacy" and likely to receive a diminished update experience from here on in.
That's also part and parcel of having an automaker that develop incremental updates several times a year rather than shipping a refresh model every 2-3 years.
On their side it probably avoids the 'iPhone effect' where demand falls at the end of August, but as a customer, you might have missed out on a new key component by placing an order just a couple weeks too early.

For instance, I am anxiously waiting to see when my current Ryzen MY will be considered legacy too, when a future update will be made available only for HW4 and up, and will leave HW3 behind...

Genuinely irritated by the fact that Intel Atom is basically a legacy platform now. On the one hand I realise that technology marches on, but at the same time this feels more like planned obsolescence than anything.

I’m not fussed about missing out on new functionality with OTA as tbh, it’s never happened to any of my other cars and potential 15 years or more later, It’s performed as well as the day that I first too delivery.

But unlike my other cars, where all the delivered features were finished and fully functional, that is not the case with Tesla - a first for me.

But I do have concerns that legacy vehicles will not have improvements to functionality that either has never been fully delivered or still do not perform or function to a level that you would expect of a modern vehicle.

Would be nice to still have the odd new useful feature though as it is something that Tesla advertised as a benefit.

I don't disagree in the abstract, however:

1) Tesla actively trades off the USP of software updates making the car "better over time" (there were no less than 4 advertising hoardings promiting this when I was recently at a service centre). This to me renders the oft quoted counterargument of "other cars don't get any updates, they just get new models" arguments largely moot.

2) The change to Ryzen based MCU happened around the start of 2022. That means there are potentially people who cars are just over 2 years old that are effectively considered "legacy" and likely to receive a diminished update experience from here on in.
Right but you are still getting new updates and improvements. Just not some of the visual changes.

Honestly I do get it kind of sucks but most other makes do not do as many updates as Tesla does. Get a BMW and you probably need a new BMW for a new iDrive version because the hardware you have in the car won't run it. Upgrades to their active cruise / highway assist? Oh yeah you need a new car for that because it's another new hardware module with the new computer chips in it to run it, etc, etc.

The reality is, cars are going to update faster than they used to now they are becoming or have become much more software defined. Just have to accept it or upgrade on a faster cycle than you used to.

Right but you are still getting new updates and improvements. Just not some of the visual changes.

Honestly I do get it kind of sucks but most other makes do not do as many updates as Tesla does. Get a BMW and you probably need a new BMW for a new iDrive version because the hardware you have in the car won't run it. Upgrades to their active cruise / highway assist? Oh yeah you need a new car for that because it's another new hardware module with the new computer chips in it to run it, etc, etc.

The reality is, cars are going to update faster than they used to now they are becoming or have become much more software defined. Just have to accept it or upgrade on a faster cycle than you used to.
Our last BMW actually had a number of OTA software updates that added stuff including the ability to access the 360 cameras remotely from the app (before Tesla did similar), added Alexa integration so you could ask any alexa function before you got home such as turn ont he outside lights, and others I can't remember, and stuff like parking assist and adaptive headlights worked from the day we bought the car. I get what you're saying about the hardware, but Tesla kind of promised to keep bringing you new stuff - they say
Tesla said:
What are over-the-air software updates?
Over-the-air software updates introduce new features and updates to your vehicle—making your vehicle safer and more capable over time.
only that's only true up to a point. Nobody thought it would go on forever, but I thought it might happen while the car was stil under the 4 year warranty

Our last BMW actually had a number of OTA software updates that added stuff including the ability to access the 360 cameras remotely from the app (before Tesla did similar), added Alexa integration so you could ask any alexa function before you got home such as turn ont he outside lights, and others I can't remember, and stuff like parking assist and adaptive headlights worked from the day we bought the car. I get what you're saying about the hardware, but Tesla kind of promised to keep bringing you new stuff - they say

only that's only true up to a point. Nobody thought it would go on forever, but I thought it might happen while the car was stil under the 4 year warranty
And they are bringing you new stuff so they are keeping that promise. They didn't promise you what they'd bring or that you'd get everything the newer cars get did they?

I kind of struggle a little to get my head around a car effectively being a computer on wheels. I still see it as all the hardware that makes it a car with a computer attached to it. The computer is secondary to the cars hardware so in reality if you care about improvements to the overall car, like better range, faster charging, more speed, better headlights, massage seats or whatever else, it all needs changes to the hardware. Frankly Tesla surprise me with how much they can pull off with just software changes and it's a major improvement to the car but you want a real big improvement... You still need a new car with new hardware.

Reactions: spdpsba
I don’t think some of the members are going to agree with this. I think you are fighting a losing battle.
I understand their point of view. I'd be disappointed if I had a car that stopped getting some of the latest updates, especially if I had only had the car for 2 years or just over.

I was trying to sooth them that a few UI updates don't really enhance the car. Things like speed camera chimes, tracking speed in average speed cam zones, better alternative routes and so on are far more interesting and useful if you ask me. They are still getting the good stuff and also have HW3 so shouldn't miss out on any autopilot type improvements when they come.

I was trying to sooth them that a few UI updates don't really enhance the car
I am sorry it is a lost cause again as some of them were falling over their heels every 18month for their BMW front facia updates. But want Tesla to update all their cars irrespective of the number of years or model, just because the service centre has an advertisement board saying your car will get updated. I am sorry I’ve seen worst advertisement from legacy cars saying the ultimate driving machine. I never felt so, what am I supposed to do?

I don't disagree in the abstract, however:

Not around, but exactly from 2022. I was, I think, the first one to pick up the new batch of M3 from China in early Feb 2022 and gladly reported about Ryzen, as there were sooo many speculations if cars will come with or without ryzen and double glazing windows ;)

p.s. 71 reg still :)

or, like BMW did for my 330e G20 - OTA update and in the morning iDrive suddenly has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto :/

I had a new 2016 BMW 2 Series Coupe in the past, and they upgraded iDrive from v5 to v6 in late 2016/early 2017. This was both a hardware and software upgrade and I was left with v5 in my car despite it only being 6-12 months old.

I don't see how this is any different in principal - I was still getting OTA updates, I just lost out on features that were dedicated to iDrive 6. Same goes here from what I can tell.

That said, I can empathise with those that are miffed as the above scenario did leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth and ultimately led to me parting ways with the car as I was 'being left behind' on features, all because I bought my car 6-12 months too early.

Again - to beat a drum - do BMW and co heavily push the fact that software updates are a foundational part of their ethos? Tesla does.

If Tesla want to go down the road of obsoleting old platforms prematurely as a sales lever that's fine, but don't trade off of the "your car gets better over time" then.

It sucks that you had a 6-12 month old car and missed out on a significant update, it also sucks that people with just over 2 year old cars are going to miss out on everything UI V12 is going to offer. Right now it's not much, but that will change. The difference with BMW is that they never suggested that you would get these updates, it was just a bonus if it was available.

Reactions: goRt and Tony Hoyle
Again - to beat a drum - do BMW and co heavily push the fact that software updates are a foundational part of their ethos? Tesla does.
Maybe not a global thing, but the dealership definitely did. "You will get updates and you can buy additional features" and within 6 months a load of those features could not be purchased for iDrive 5.

But no, I get your point, there were not massive hoardings over the showroom walls.

Reactions: Durzel

If Tesla want to go down the road of obsoleting old platforms prematurely as a sales lever that's fine, but don't trade off of the "your car gets better over time" then.

It sucks that you had a 6-12 month old car and missed out on a significant update, it also sucks that people with just over 2 year old cars are going to miss out on everything UI V12 is going to offer. Right now it's not much, but that will change. The difference with BMW is that they never suggested that you would get these updates, it was just a bonus if it was available.
again, to be fair, I do not believe that this update is for Ryzen only due to some technicality - IMHO it is easier to push one for Ryzen, then polish it and adapt to Atom and then release a bit later