Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should bring back separate mirror position settings for drive and reverse. The current software that just moves the mirror down is pretty crappy for those of us who like to have the mirrors adjusted out while driving.

They should bring back separate mirror position settings for drive and reverse. The current software that just moves the mirror down is pretty crappy for those of us who like to have the mirrors adjusted out while driving.
What purpose would that serve? The cameras give a great view as it is. The point of the mirror tilting down is to help you avoid rashing the wheels.
Between the mirrors, cameras, and visualization you’ll be fine.

Leaving a window open in the garage also lets the plastic vapor escape. This matters less since new Telsas don't stink much, but something leaves a hard-to-clean layer on the windshield.
Extremely belated response, but be aware that this hard-to-clean layer can also form inside the front camera housing, which can significantly compromise the front camera views and impede Autopilot/FSD. Example dashcam video showing this problem. Another reason to ventilate new cars, but also Tesla should make this a standard service inspection item and covered under warranty, especially for cars with EAP/FSD enabled!

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
A few thoughts:
- There should be an "Adaptive" setting for HOV lane usage, rather than just On/Off. The seat sensors can detect how many people are in the car, and the maps should know how many people are required to use a particular HOV lane (almost always 2, rarely 3), and HOV lane hours in some cases.
- Similarly, a "Watt-Hours per Passenger-Mile" readout on the Energy stats screen. This would be a nice hypermiling metric, and dramatically show how per-passenger efficiency jumps when carpooling.
- When voice-dialing a contact who has two phone numbers, it currently shows about 1 1/2 phone numbers on the pop-up panel, and the user has to manually scroll a few pixels down to see the second number, taking their eyes unnecessarily off the road. Just adjust the spacing to show both numbers!
- For e.g. Radio station "Favorites", the current UI incorporates the "Favorite" star icon into the radio station thumbnail itself, which makes it far too easy to accidentally "un-favorite" a station (which makes it vanish) when trying to select it to play! This is a horrendous (though very minor, thus appropriate for this thread) UI fail and should be fixed.
- "Caravan" mode for roadtrips, where one Tesla (with permission) follows another. This would be especially helpful if the cars are visually separated (or several miles apart) and the lead car adjusts its destination, e.g. to a different Supercharger. The lead car could also get alerts if the trailing car needs to recharge, for instance.
- Real-time stall recommendations when pulling into a Supercharger location. E.g. a car with 5% battery should be guided to a stall that can provide 250kW if available, whereas a car with 70% battery should choose a shared stall with lower (but still sufficient) available power. Having a few L2 chargers per Supercharger location would also be useful for cars that need to trickle-charge from 90% to 100%, to avoid blocking the L3 chargers for those 15-20 minutes.
- Camera health/quality indicators, e.g. next to Tire Pressure indicators. The car should have a sense of which cameras are underperforming, and should show camera health to the user, particularly for exterior cameras that might be blocked/dirty and need to be cleaned, but also for interior (front-facing) cameras that might require cleaning within the housing, which should trigger a SC visit and review.

Reactions: Transformer
What purpose would that serve? The cameras give a great view as it is. The point of the mirror tilting down is to help you avoid rashing the wheels.
Between the mirrors, cameras, and visualization you’ll be fine.
Exactly, I like the mirror to point to where I can see the rear wheels as I back into a parking spot close to the curb. However, when driving forward I want the mirrors to point farther away from the side of the car to minimize the size of the blind spots. The cameras are worse than the mirrors for both situations, so I want them to be the backup for checking blind spots, not the primary way I see what's going on around me. The annoying thing about this is the mirrors used to have the option for setting two different positions however you liked and that functionality has been removed for absolutely no reason.

Exactly, I like the mirror to point to where I can see the rear wheels as I back into a parking spot close to the curb. However, when driving forward I want the mirrors to point farther away from the side of the car to minimize the size of the blind spots. The cameras are worse than the mirrors for both situations, so I want them to be the backup for checking blind spots, not the primary way I see what's going on around me. The annoying thing about this is the mirrors used to have the option for setting two different positions however you liked and that functionality has been removed for absolutely no reason.
Got it.

A few thoughts:
- There should be an "Adaptive" setting for HOV lane usage, rather than just On/Off. The seat sensors can detect how many people are in the car, and the maps should know how many people are required to use a particular HOV lane (almost always 2, rarely 3), and HOV lane hours in some cases.
- Similarly, a "Watt-Hours per Passenger-Mile" readout on the Energy stats screen. This would be a nice hypermiling metric, and dramatically show how per-passenger efficiency jumps when carpooling.
- When voice-dialing a contact who has two phone numbers, it currently shows about 1 1/2 phone numbers on the pop-up panel, and the user has to manually scroll a few pixels down to see the second number, taking their eyes unnecessarily off the road. Just adjust the spacing to show both numbers!
- For e.g. Radio station "Favorites", the current UI incorporates the "Favorite" star icon into the radio station thumbnail itself, which makes it far too easy to accidentally "un-favorite" a station (which makes it vanish) when trying to select it to play! This is a horrendous (though very minor, thus appropriate for this thread) UI fail and should be fixed.
- "Caravan" mode for roadtrips, where one Tesla (with permission) follows another. This would be especially helpful if the cars are visually separated (or several miles apart) and the lead car adjusts its destination, e.g. to a different Supercharger. The lead car could also get alerts if the trailing car needs to recharge, for instance.
- Real-time stall recommendations when pulling into a Supercharger location. E.g. a car with 5% battery should be guided to a stall that can provide 250kW if available, whereas a car with 70% battery should choose a shared stall with lower (but still sufficient) available power. Having a few L2 chargers per Supercharger location would also be useful for cars that need to trickle-charge from 90% to 100%, to avoid blocking the L3 chargers for those 15-20 minutes.
- Camera health/quality indicators, e.g. next to Tire Pressure indicators. The car should have a sense of which cameras are underperforming, and should show camera health to the user, particularly for exterior cameras that might be blocked/dirty and need to be cleaned, but also for interior (front-facing) cameras that might require cleaning within the housing, which should trigger a SC visit and review.
I like most of your wishlist except for the HOV lane option that introduces another level of complexity. Hey, what could go wrong?
As for the phone issue my workaround is to have distinct names for the different phone numbers like “Brian company phone” or “Brian personal phone” then I voice dial the number I need

be aware that this hard-to-clean layer can also form inside the front camera housin
It's not that hard to get in and clean it yourself, just search YouTube. I did it on my previous car and I'm surely going to have to do it soon on this one, given how nasty the inside of the rest of the windshield gets. It's probably why I'm getting so many dry wipes...

I just wish they'd fix the voice recognition so it recognizes my wife's name. It's not an unusual name at all but the computer just doesn't get it. I'd love to use voice commands to call or text her but...

I like most of your wishlist except for the HOV lane option that introduces another level of complexity. Hey, what could go wrong?
As for the phone issue my workaround is to have distinct names for the different phone numbers like “Brian company phone” or “Brian personal phone” then I voice dial the number I need
A lot of people have two phone numbers, but few have more than two. It would be nicer if the UI just displayed the two numbers properly, rather than chopping the second one in half. (Especially if I've forgotten that someone has two numbers, or forgot what they're labeled.) Much easier for Tesla to solve this definitively with a few lines of code, than to require millions of people to readjust their contacts lists.

I'm not sure I see the downside of the adaptive HOV lane option? The driving system is L2 anyway; it's trivial to override if it makes a mistake, and it's an inconvenience to have to remember to dig through the Settings menus for each drive. Tesla will have to solve this nearly perfectly for Robotaxi; they may as well start practicing now!

I just wish they'd fix the voice recognition so it recognizes my wife's name. It's not an unusual name at all but the computer just doesn't get it. I'd love to use voice commands to call or text her but...
My workaround was to add a contact with my wife's name misspelled the way the voice recognition software requires. It's goofy and I'd rather see the bug fixed.

I tried other hacks like adding the required spelling in the "phonetic name" contact field (does that need to use the phonetic alphabet?), adding "spouse" in the "relationship" contact field, and asking to "text my spouse," but none of that worked. If they ever fix that, they'd better list it in the release notes or I wouldn't know it.

My workaround was to add a contact with my wife's name misspelled the way the voice recognition software requires. It's goofy and I'd rather see the bug fixed.

I tried other hacks like adding the required spelling in the "phonetic name" contact field (does that need to use the phonetic alphabet?), adding "spouse" in the "relationship" contact field, and asking to "text my spouse," but none of that worked. If they ever fix that, they'd better list it in the release notes or I wouldn't know it.
Voice recognition is still tricky. I have a few contacts with unusual pronunciation but when I use the phonetic name the computer uses, it often reverts to the true pronunciation. It’s almost as if it is mocking me.

I think this qualifies as a minor suggestion/problem: I'd like to kind of start over with my Model 3's Easy Entry settings. I can see how to copy seat settings from one user profile to another, but I don't see a way to copy my seat settings to Easy Entry.

Initially I set up Easy Entry to be low and back...but it interferes with folding the rear seat back forward. And the low and back settings now kind of annoy me. I'd like to have Easy Entry be like my seat settings...just a bit more back.

I've tried adjusting Easy Entry...and it's better...but still not quite the same as my seat settings.