Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, Tesla doesn't make their FSD boards- they don't own a chip or motherboard factory, they pay another company to do that based on their design. So does Nvidia. Same-same.

Yes. That theory is beyond pie in the sky. I know people working on the infotainment systems for big OEMs (Daimler, BMW) and the designs and production are auctioned off with the lowest bidder winning it most of the time. They use off the shelf processors that are available in volume and have very low margins since they're basically a commodity at this point. Even Nvidia has some of those as well.

The correlation between what people read in the media about Nvidia's crazy gross margins and what gets used in cars now is basically non existent.

Tesla is apparently contending in court that full self-driving needs lidar to be achieved.

I am not a lawyer, and only looked at this one article...but my read is:

1. The plaintiff declared as part of the complaint something like: "I was expecting Level 4 or 5 capabilities, but my car only has the hardware needed for Level 2, because Level 4 and 5 require LIDAR and Tesla doesn't have that."
  2. Tesla's lawyers responded, effectively: "Okay buddy, but Elon has said many times publicly that Tesla's don't have LIDAR. So, you should have known that. Therefore, if YOU (the plaintiff) are claiming that LIDAR is needed for the capabilities you desire, then there can't be any fraud or deception. You believed the car needed LIDAR to achieve certain capabilities, and you should have known the car didn't have LIDAR, so you should not have expected those capabilities.
As to the other half of the quote from the Judge's statement:

"LoSavio plausibly alleges that he reasonably believed Tesla's claims that it could achieve self-driving with the car's existing hardware and that, if he diligently brought his car in for the required updates, the car would soon achieve the promised results."

Eesh...this is just obvious evidence that at the very least the judge doesn't understand Tesla's over the air updates. If the judge got the wording from the plaintiff's complaint, then he and his lawyers don't understand either.

It's a lawsuit from a guy who had HW2 and was upset that Tesla wanted to charge a fee to upgrade his cameras to HW3.

Aha.

I only have vague memories...but didn't Tesla originally try to charge a fee for the hardware upgrade, and then later made it free for folks who had purchased FSD?

If that memory is correct, then I'm guessing either this guy DID buy FSD, but clung to the lawsuit even after Tesla made it free, or he DIDN'T buy FSD and somehow thinks he is deprived because he can't get the hardware for free until he actually pays for the capability the hardware would enable. In either case, I hope he and his lawyers travel together every few weeks to "diligently bring his car in for the required software updates."

Yes. That theory is beyond pie in the sky. I know people working on the infotainment systems for big OEMs (Daimler, BMW) and the designs and production are auctioned off with the lowest bidder winning it most of the time. They use off the shelf processors that are available in volume and have very low margins since they're basically a commodity at this point. Even Nvidia has some of those as well.

The correlation between what people read in the media about Nvidia's crazy gross margins and what gets used in cars now is basically non existent.
We are talking about a FSD competitor that actually use Nvidia's top of the line inference chips in order to compute their trained models for self driving, not the cheapo arm based processors made by Nvidia used for Infotainment or nintendo switches. This is in the context of a competitor's FSD gets licensed vs Tesla's. This is also under the assumption that a competitor's performance is as good as Tesla's.