Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I understand, if I remove the carpet and unplug/plug until it (hopefully) opens... I can leave the plug out and it will basically function fine until I get it repaired?

Yes, however what I found is you may need to manually push it shut sometimes as it doesn't fully close.

The other thing I did is turn the trunk limiter adjusters all the way in, that way it closed on its own 90% of the time.

Yes, however what I found is you may need to manually push it shut sometimes as it doesn't fully close.

The other thing I did is turn the trunk limiter adjusters all the way in, that way it closed on its own 90% of the time.
Thanks. I got it open. It was the top left plug that toggled the motor.

I get 3 beeps when I push the close button no matter what - if that connector is plugged in or not (and no automatic trunk)

Sadly it will continue to show that without the pinch motor communicating back to the MCU. How much for the pinch motor on eBay? Also, used or new?
Roughly $100 with tax and shipping. Claim to be new, but who knows for sure.

Next Tesla appointment is Dec 13, so I guess I try something. Or I wait and borrow my daughters Leaf... but that means I need to do drop / pickup from school.

Roughly $100 with tax and shipping. Claim to be new, but who knows for sure.

Next Tesla appointment is Dec 13, so I guess I try something. Or I wait and borrow my daughters Leaf... but that means I need to do drop / pickup from school.
How far away is Tesla? They will sell you the new motor for $70USD +tax...(price as of April, 2023)

HIGH FORCE CINCHING ACTUATOR(100354900-D)

Not terrible. High force actuator priced as stated above. Mobile service labor $40. But not available for a few weeks.

There are two parts listed.

1701217294106.png

Reactions: Cheburashka
hey guys !
I just got hit with the same issue …. I tried the steps mentioned in the video
Got to the connector on the bottom right and disconnected it and then connected it again

This process triggers the trunk to open but the latch holding the trunk in the center isn’t letting go ….. am I missing something ?

Tried over 15 times with no luck yet :(

I have a 2018 P100D

Note, if your Emergency Release Cable is not seated on the Velcro pad, then it thinks the cable is pulled, and it won't work, I replaced the cinching actuator and still did't work, I then noticed that the mounting part for the cable was snapped off, since the Emergency Release Cable is part of the latch, so I replaced that for 60 more and it started working.

However, now there is a horrible sound that comes from one of the speakers in the rear deck lid when it first tries to open, I think it's the warning chime..

I got mine working with the replacement motor. Emergency cable still good, just went out to look. Thanks for the warning to check it!

Cannot for the life of me get the large inside trim piece back in... picked up a new set of those push thingies from Tesla yesterday and will try again this weekend.

I got mine working with the replacement motor. Emergency cable still good, just went out to look. Thanks for the warning to check it!

Cannot for the life of me get the large inside trim piece back in... picked up a new set of those push thingies from Tesla yesterday and will try again this weekend.
That panel is a real pita!! Definitely swap out those heart clips, as they get really weak after use.