Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a software development perspective, you can break a lot of things and piss off a lot of people if you change IDs which are assumed to be immutable and unchanging. I'm guessing there was an issue and they reverted to the previous IDs so as not to break anything downstream.

It's strange though - it's quite common for them to change the IDs shortly after commissioning (e.g. grey pin for Prawda was originally at Reynolds and so it changed from "reynoldsmbsupercharger" to "prawdambsupercharger"). But it's the change back which is unusual!

It's strange though - it's quite common for them to change the IDs shortly after commissioning (e.g. grey pin for Prawda was originally at Reynolds and so it changed from "reynoldsmbsupercharger" to "prawdambsupercharger"). But it's the change back which is unusual!
Ahh, interesting - good to know, I don't have specific experience with Tesla's APIs and naming conventions, I was thinking more in general terms. I also missed that this was specific to the new chargers - I thought this renaming might have included a bunch of old existing Superchargers, less likelihood of breakage for just-added sites.

Do any existing locations have dashes in the IDs? Perhaps adding a non-alphanumeric character broke something somewhere. Will also be interesting to see if the new IDs reappear in the near future - could be any of 50 different reasons for this switch-and-revert at the moment (some intentional, some not)

So I saw most of the superchargers just went live on Plugshare so I checked the feed again, a lot of them have changed names *again*!

Some weird ones in there, like:

moosejawshopsupercharger
maplecreekpioneersupercharger
drydenredriversupercharger
davidsoncoopsupercharger

The feed also showed Deep River, Portage la Prairie and Brandon live, so I have updated those on supercharge.info. Portage la Prairie was listed as 3 stalls (I presume just a temporary thing) so I've updated it to that for now. Let me know if I've missed anything!

So I saw most of the superchargers just went live on Plugshare so I checked the feed again, a lot of them have changed names *again*!

Some weird ones in there, like:

moosejawshopsupercharger
maplecreekpioneersupercharger
drydenredriversupercharger
davidsoncoopsupercharger

The feed also showed Deep River, Portage la Prairie and Brandon live, so I have updated those on supercharge.info. Portage la Prairie was listed as 3 stalls (I presume just a temporary thing) so I've updated it to that for now. Let me know if I've missed anything!
That naming convention is surprisingly inconsistent - Davidson SK SC is at the Riverbend Co-op (ID davidsoncoopsupercharger), and the Dryden ON SC is at the Red River Co-op (ID drydenredriversupercharger). You would think they would either have Riverbend in the Davidson ID or Co-op in the Dryden ID, not a mix of both.

I wonder what the next update to the IDs will look like? :D

Tesla still hasn't updated the "Go Anywhere" page on their website with the newly installed superchargers so can't use it for planning yet. However the "new" Plugshare "Trip Planner" seems to be pretty good. Needs work but seems usable.

Tesla still hasn't updated the "Go Anywhere" page on their website with the newly installed superchargers so can't use it for planning yet. However the "new" Plugshare "Trip Planner" seems to be pretty good. Needs work but seems usable.

Check out www.abetterrouteplanner.com

Tesla’s trip planner webpage is terrible and shouldn’t be used for anything.

I like the PlugShare Trip Planner much better than ABRP. I don't particularly like the way the Open Street Map displays on ABRP. It is slow and many of the features are difficult to see. And, I just now took a look at it in FF and there was no map display. Open Street map is great when displayed by itself.

Check out www.abetterrouteplanner.com

Tesla’s trip planner webpage is terrible and shouldn’t be used for anything.

I'll throw EV Trip Planner into the mix too. It's certainly my favorite for planning longer trips. I find it to be extremely accurate. I also like that it understands to choose Superchargers first, and then other chargers where a Supercharger can't be reached. I'm not sure if it prioritized Chademo over Destination/J1772, but I suspect so.

It looks like Tesla has abandoned it's "go anywhere" trip planner. The TCH Superchargers installed and opened on the 20th of Dec. have still not been added.

It looks like Tesla has abandoned it's "go anywhere" trip planner. The TCH Superchargers installed and opened on the 20th of Dec. have still not been added.

That’s 15 days, with a slew of time off for most people in there, abnormally unproductive time for those who -are- working, and a delivery push that even saw Musk at the factory helping too. I think it’s a bit premature to call it an abandoned product.

I like the PlugShare Trip Planner much better than ABRP. I don't particularly like the way the Open Street Map displays on ABRP. It is slow and many of the features are difficult to see. And, I just now took a look at it in FF and there was no map display. Open Street map is great when displayed by itself.

ABRP have updated their software and now the maps display very well on Firefox. I like it a lot and also like their BLOGs showing real world charging performance contributed by Tesla owners. The Open Street Maps don't have a lot of detail unfortunately and some of the charger locations are misplaced on the map.

So its now been a month since the TCH Super Chargers were turned on and they still aren't listed on the "Go Anywhere" planner.
That’s 15 days, with a slew of time off for most people in there, abnormally unproductive time for those who -are- working, and a delivery push that even saw Musk at the factory helping too. I think it’s a bit premature to call it an abandoned product.

So its now been a month since the TCH Super Chargers were turned on and they still aren't listed on the "Go Anywhere" planner.

I’d call that a wise decision on Tesla’s part. They haven’t exactly proven themselves to be reliable. I’m on the fence about leaving them to show in the car’s routing display planner.

MY recommendation would be to leave them alone, continue showing reduced functionality warnings, and make them free until they’re working correctly. (They’re already free in my S, but as a “we’re sorry”, it would gain them some trust at least, by demonstration that we all suffer together.)

Reactions: lensovet
Reliability data point:

A couple of weeks ago I drove my SR+ from Nelson BC to Belleville ON. I stopped at 21 superchargers over 4 days. One failed me.

Dryden, Upsala, and Wawa ON worked despite being listed as "temporarily closed". Wawa had 3/6 stalls online, and my account wasn't charged. The only shortcoming I noticed in Dryden and Upsala was that the stalls weren't paved, just gravel. Shrug.

The only real outage was Ignace ON (also "temporarily closed"). But it was my first failed supercharger experience and I hadn't yet learned to check all the stalls/lights. I only tried 2 stalls before giving up. Maybe some were in fact working.

The Petro-Canada DCFCs across the street in Ignace were listed as "in use" on Plugshare, which sounded unlikely and indeed was incorrect. They were vacant and powered off.

Prawda MB was also listed as out-of-service when I left Winnipeg. I didn't need it so I didn't find out for sure.

Reliability data point:

A couple of weeks ago I drove my SR+ from Nelson BC to Belleville ON. I stopped at 21 superchargers over 4 days. One failed me.

Dryden, Upsala, and Wawa ON worked despite being listed as "temporarily closed". Wawa had 3/6 stalls online, and my account wasn't charged. The only shortcoming I noticed in Dryden and Upsala was that the stalls weren't paved, just gravel. Shrug.

The only real outage was Ignace ON (also "temporarily closed"). But it was my first failed supercharger experience and I hadn't yet learned to check all the stalls/lights. I only tried 2 stalls before giving up. Maybe some were in fact working.

The Petro-Canada DCFCs across the street in Ignace were listed as "in use" on Plugshare, which sounded unlikely and indeed was incorrect. They were vacant and powered off.

Prawda MB was also listed as out-of-service when I left Winnipeg. I didn't need it so I didn't find out for sure.
A lot of the v3 superchargers have one cabinet working while the other is not, so you should at least try one stall from each of the groups of 4. How did you end up charging in Ignace?