Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make your robotaxi predictions for the 8/8 reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon says that Tesla will reveal a dedicated robotaxi vehicle on 8/8. What do you think we will see? Will it look like this concept art or something else?

GKcNKVvaEAAUmMG

I will say that while this concept drawing looks super cool, I am a bit skeptical if it is practical as a robotaxi. It looks to only have 2 seats which would be fine for 1-2 people who need a ride but would not work for more than 2 people. I feel like that would limit the robotaxis value for a lot of people. Also, it would likely need a steering wheel and pedals for regulatory reasons even if Tesla did achieve eyes-off capability.

So I think this is concept art for a hypothetical 2 seater, cheap Tesla, not a robotaxi.

Could the robotaxi look more like this concept art but smaller? It could look a bit more like say the Zoox vehicle or the Cruise Origin, more futuristic box like shape IMO and seat 5-6 people.

robotaxi-tesla-autonome.jpg

Or maybe the robotaxi will look more like the "model 2" concept:

Tesla-Model-2-1200x900.jpg

Other questions:
- Will the robotaxis be available to own by individuals as a personal car or will it strictly be owned by Tesla and only used in a ride-hailing network?
- What will cost be?
- Will it have upgraded hardware? Radar? Lidar? additional compute?
- Will Elon reveal any details on how the ride-hailing network will work?

Thoughts? Let the fun speculation begin!

Let's say for argument's sake that Tesla guys eventually manage to get to 70% fewer crashes than a human. But if the competition that doesn't limit themselves to vision only manages to get to 90% fewer crashes, then selling those vision only robotaxis won't be easy, the other guys will be stressing how their robotaxis are three times safer than Teslas (even though both are much safer than human driving).

Last edited:
20 crashes since December. I wonder how it compares with human driving (seems like NHTSA are curious as well, hence they are requesting Tesla to explain how their data is collected).
AP crashes are not really relevant to this thread. If some of the 20 are on FSD then they would be they need to be segregated. Even FSD crashes still need to be divided on FSD Beta and FSDS (V12.x).

I think this news belongs in this thread
It looks pretty bad for Luminar unfortunately.

> As disclosed in Luminar’s earnings report on Tuesday, in the first quarter of 2024, Tesla contributed over 10% of Luminar’s revenue, totaling more than $2 million

That means they have few lidar sales so far and the biggest customer is one that isn't going to put in a big order ever.

Tesla buys them for data collection on test cars---excellent source of supervised data for the occupancy networks---but isn't likely to deploy on manufactured and sold cars.

If they want another sensor deployed, a high resolution radar would be my choice.

Sadly the reveal will probably be it was released in China before the US. :(

This is from the CCP's own mouthpiece...

May 8th

May 9th
China is very likely to support US vehicle maker Tesla's local testing of robotaxis, and may move to consider data compliance issues given that data regulators attended a recent top-level meeting that involved Elon Musk, the automaker's CEO, sources told China Daily on Wednesday.

Experts and domestic self-driving firms believe that Tesla's progress reinforces China's commitment to further open up to more foreign players in the Chinese market for mutual benefit, especially in some emerging sectors like autonomous driving.

> As disclosed in Luminar’s earnings report on Tuesday, in the first quarter of 2024, Tesla contributed over 10% of Luminar’s revenue, totaling more than $2 million

That means they have few lidar sales so far and the biggest customer is one that isn't going to put in a big order ever.

Tesla buys them for data collection on test cars---excellent source of supervised data for the occupancy networks---but isn't likely to deploy on manufactured and sold cars.

If they want another sensor deployed, a high resolution radar would be my choice.
Somebody commented in a different thread that the cost of a lidar kit is between $100 and $500, which means Tesla bought thousands of them in the first three months of this year. We don't know what the total order is.

Yes, I'm sure this is to confirm cameras on test cars are judging depth perception correctly. They likely have it all figured out by now.

Reactions: enemji
A different article quotes $1000 for a lidar kit with software so I think we are talking about thousands of cars' worth of lidars. And this is only in the first quarter of this year. Let's see what Luminar reports for Q2.

Hmm...I doubt they need thousands of LiDAR test cars.

Maybe they anticipate some governments requiring Robotaxis to have a secondary backup driving system.

Last edited: