Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just kill it off already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strong disagree. The world would be a better place if he didn’t have any influence.
I'm sorry, you're right. /sarcasm
We'd all be sitting in long lines at the Costco gas station grousing about how expensive gasoline is . . . Why did he have to come along and invest his fortune into EVs to get them off the ground. /sarcasm
/seriously: Don't get me wrong. I don't particularly like him as a person and, given the cold reception he's given me every time I've spoken to him, I suspect it is mutual. However, I can see past that and appreciate that, back in the early 2000's, after our EV1 was taken away from us, he was the only billionaire willing to put enough money into EVs to get them off the ground. He also supported JB Straubel to do it in a way (cool, desirable, useful cars) that led to sustainable, high volume production, something nobody else (except China) has done, forcing the European and US lagard auto industry into trying to do the same.

Reactions: Clivew and Hank42
We'd all be sitting in long lines at the Costco gas station grousing about how expensive gasoline is . . . Why did he have to come along and invest his fortune into EVs to get them off the ground. /sarcasm
/seriously: Don't get me wrong. I don't particularly like him as a person and, given the cold reception he's given me every time I've spoken to him, I suspect it is mutual. However, I can see past that and appreciate that, back in the early 2000's, after our EV1 was taken away from us, he was the only billionaire willing to put enough money into EVs to get them off the ground. He also supported JB Straubel to do it in a way (cool, desirable, useful cars) that led to sustainable, high volume production, something nobody else (except China) has done, forcing the European and US lagard auto industry into trying to do the same.

I 100% agree with your take here. I'm glad we had him from 2005-2019 or so. However, IMO his time has passed, and his personality and priorities have changed for the worse. Give me the Elon who said "people think Tesla is a car company, but we're really an energy company" over the one who said "people think Tesla is a car company but we're really an A.I. software company" any day. Up until about 2017/2018, he still had the vision of Tesla's mission being "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy." I don't think he believes or wants that anymore. In October of 2016, he presented the vision of sustainable energy based around the Tesla solar roof: an energy producing roof that cost the same as new normal roof with panels, powering powerwall batteries, and EVs and electric appliances virtually independent of the grid. He has no interest in continuing to bring that vision to reality. Therefore, his usefulness as head of Tesla is past. Let him focus on getting to Mars, developing A.I. and robots and brain chips, and cozying up with the likes of Trump. Good riddance. If he could demonstrate that his priorities still align with the Tesla mission of "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy" then I would consider keeping him around. As it is, my stock vote will be to defund Elon in the hopes that he steps away from the company.

EVs would have still ultimately been developed even if he hadn’t funded Tesla specifically. The industry was heading that way.

The industry was heading that way.
I'm with you on dislike of Elon, but I do not agree with this statement. Without Tesla from 2010-2020, we would be exactly nowhere when it comes to EVs. I'd like to see Elon move on, but had Tesla not happened the big auto makers would not have moved in this direction. Heck they are STILL tentative; starting to pull back on their investments. Also other start ups like Lucid and Rivian would not have happened either, IMO. Fisker might have, but likely would have had the same or similar level of (non)success they have had.

Reactions: Ciaopec
EVs would have still ultimately been developed even if he hadn’t funded Tesla specifically. The industry was heading that way.

Hmm. _Maybe_. Tesla's approach differed from the other companies and shaped plans and policy.

Tesla's success also helped California increase ZEV requirements for the 2016-2025 years, and it helped give the EU an obvious alternative after Dieselgate broke in September 2015. Crucially, it in turn encouraged China to push hard on EVs. While there were subsidies, the NEV mandate in China was only introduced in April 2018.

I'm with you on dislike of Elon, but I do not agree with this statement. Without Tesla from 2010-2020, we would be exactly nowhere when it comes to EVs. I'd like to see Elon move on, but had Tesla not happened the big auto makers would not have moved in this direction. Heck they are STILL tentative; starting to pull back on their investments. Also other start ups like Lucid and Rivian would not have happened either, IMO. Fisker might have, but likely would have had the same or similar level of (non)success they have had.
I disagree. The big road block was battery tech. Tesla jumped in when lithium hit the right price / power density. Others would have made the same connection.

yet the whole industry jumped in once Tesla bit that bullet.
so, Tesla was the oxidizer that fired the explosion across the industry.
would not have happened otherwise.
That doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t have filled the same role. Also doesn’t mean another existing company wouldn’t have gone in that direction. Perhaps we’d be further ahead without a moron like Musk at the helm.

• Disagree
Reactions: FLRifleman
That doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t have filled the same role. Also doesn’t mean another existing company wouldn’t have gone in that direction. Perhaps we’d be further ahead without a moron like Musk at the helm.
we'd be nowhere without a moron like Musk at the helm. It took a 'moron' to take up the dream/fantasy.
Tesla would be gone, just as Fisker went down. Remember, it almost did anyway after Musk took it over.
Without the competitive incentive created by Tesla under Musk, do you really believe the industry would have started to kill off it's cash cows to favor a few earth-huggers?
you're dreaming if you think we wouldn't still be living in 2001 without Musk having driven the company.

we'd be nowhere without a moron like Musk at the helm. It took a 'moron' to take up the dream/fantasy.
Tesla would be gone, just as Fisker went down. Remember, it almost did anyway after Musk took it over.
Without the competitive incentive created by Tesla under Musk, do you really believe the industry would have started to kill off it's cash cows to favor a few earth-huggers?
you're dreaming if you think we wouldn't still be living in 2001 without Musk having driven the company.
Agree to disagree. I think he was a useful rich idiot who came in at the right time. Someone else would have done the same without him.

I do think the industry would have moved towards a technology that makes for better cars. Like they were already doing before the model S released.

Like they were already doing before the model S released.
Evidence of this claim?
I think there was Honda going for Hydrogen, and that's about it. There was and is still a huge amount of skepticism around EVs, within the big automotive manufacturing companies (Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, Honda). All of them are dragging their feet and only dipping toes in the EV world because they have to, to stay relevant (thanks to Tesla).

Reactions: X Fan
Agree to disagree. I think he was a useful rich idiot who came in at the right time. Someone else would have done the same without him.

I do think the industry would have moved towards a technology that makes for better cars. Like they were already doing before the model S released.
useful rich idiots willing to squander their fortunes on a novel concept like 'save the planet' are in short supply.
recall, he went 'all in' on Telsa

but then he yanked your woke chain by trying another novel concept. trying to cure social media.
admittedly something unsolved for eons, but he took it on. jury still out.

• Love
Reactions: X Fan and AMPd
It seems to me that Musk has his Hands into too many things at once and it is causing him to neglect the Businesses he is in charge of. I don't do Twitter or Tic Tok and I'm not on Facebook much. Musk wants to control every aspect of his companies instead of being an overseer and delegating tasks to others and stepping when necessary. The problem with firing an entire team for no reason is that disgruntled employees share dirty secrets with others like the Government. They take their extensive knowledge elsewhere.