Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've always wanted a Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is absolutely no comparison between ANY Tesla and ANYTHING labeled Nissan. You would give up a car with over 250 miles range, Supercharging, and an American band made in America? There is simply no reason to consider anything from the Sons of Nippon rather than a Tesla.
I live in Norway. There are no American car manufacturers that has been able to convince people over here that they are capable of producing quality cars (no offence). So saying a car is American made isn't a good sales pitch.

Japanese cars on the other hand equals reliability over here. Although, maybe a bit on the boring side.

I live in Norway. There are no American car manufacturers that has been able to convince people over here that they are capable of producing quality cars (no offence). So saying a car is American made isn't a good sales pitch.

Japanese cars on the other hand equals reliability over here. Although, maybe a bit on the boring side.
As far as EV are concerned (and looking at Tesla sales in the country), the Norwegians seem to disagree

If the Leaf is from 2019 and is the e+ version then it would have around the same consumption as that S. See some charts to help to decide, that second one has 2020 data. My 03/2016 dual motor S has similar data compared to the 2019 S on the first chart. I would have also chosen that Leaf (if it was reachable at the same time) but managed to got the S. I also have some trouble to look at the 3 but this upgraded Highland version is now looking to be very similar to S (reduced by size).
I know it’s hard to choose, but man you only love once… By the way my three kids have grown up with the S and I do imagine now how would they be able to get at the back seat if I had choose the Leaf…

0ECA0C61-54A8-41F3-B214-678134CEB331.jpeg
C7FB823A-9274-46FB-8A27-3B2FE2083668.png

Back seat is quite a bit wider on the S than the 3 but if you're thinking kid space (and their gear) then I'd offer that the Model Y is your most likely target. Same chassis as the 3 with more interior space. I'd skip the 2020's as early build quality was questionable and look for an off-lease 2021.

I've wanted to own a Tesla Model S ever since it came out. But they were way over any budget I ever had for buying a car when they were new (still are). So I have never been in a position to buy one, until now. Maybe.

Our current car needs replacement soon, and in the price range I can afford, I see that I could get a 2017-2018 Model S 75D with around 100 000 miles on it. But is it a good choice? Will it last more than just a couple of years? Will I need a ton of money to keep it rolling?

This will be an anecdotal report. Anyone with a background in science or statistics will tell you it’s absolutely worthless except as a single data point. Still it sums up my experience so I offer the experience to you.

I might not be able to address all the concerns I’ve seen here but I have the S you want. Mine’s a 2017, it’s got all the available computer updates, FSD, entertainment computer updates, etc. I don’t drive mine much, it’s got 17K miles on it. I charge it at home. It’s spotless. Leather, higher end stereo…

Mine’s been great. At the time I got it, it was so highly rated that Consumer Reports had to change their rating systems. Warranty… they replaced my driver’s side mirror because it didn’t fold and unfold properly. Otherwise no issues. I did have the 12 volt battery replaced. I don’t charge above 80% and I don’t exhaust the battery driving it. When I had the entertainment computer upgraded, they changed my 17” screen. It was getting the yellow ring but the new one is perfect. I didn’t expect that screen change so that was a bonus.

Don’t get the idea that the S is light. It’s a heavy car. It performs like a light nimble car but if you ever have to do an emergency maneuver in it, it’ll show you just how heavy it it. A truck on the Interstate made a sudden turn into my lane, I had to swerve, suddenly at speed. The front tires crunched and the car plowed ahead just like a 1970’s era station wagon. We survived, the car and I, but never forgot that though it acts as if it is light and nimble, there’s a heavy car underneath.

When I bought the car Tesla claimed 5.2 seconds 0-60. The 3 came out about then so Tesla offered a free “uncorking” for the S which increased performance to 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. I didn’t expect free supercharging but they added that freebie just before I picked it up. The free supercharging doesn’t transfer to a new owner, though. I did get the legacy Internet connection, the free entertainment package.

If I sold mine I wouldn’t get anything like what I should. I’d get a bit more for low mileage, a bit more for condition, but overall those things add little to the value of the car, it’s almost all determined by age. That’s good for you.

There should be low mileage, superb condition S’s around. Cars that have been babied, garaged, cherished. They’ll be rare but if you can find one of those, you’ll do well. You won’t pay that much more for that than you would a dinged 100K workhorse, but if you can find one, you’ll get a car that’s very close to new.

I’ll keep my S until the grim reaper knocks. It’s by far the best car I’ve ever had, and that’s in well over 50 years of driving.

Good luck my friend.

Last edited:
Back seat is quite a bit wider on the S than the 3 but if you're thinking kid space (and their gear) then I'd offer that the Model Y is your most likely target. Same chassis as the 3 with more interior space. I'd skip the 2020's as early build quality was questionable and look for an off-lease 2021.
I had a Model Y as a loaner over a weekend courtesy of the local Tesla dealer. It was an easy car to like. I enjoyed driving it a lot, and letting the auto pilot drive it.The kids enjoyed the panoramic roof, the legroom in the back seat, and the acceleration. The boot was also more than big enough. Only problem was that the back seat was too narrow for our needs. We won't be able to comfortably fit all 3 kids in the back when our youngest one moves on to the next size child seat.

Had they made the back seat the same width as the Model S, I would have placed an order for a Y already!

I had a Model Y as a loaner over a weekend courtesy of the local Tesla dealer. It was an easy car to like. I enjoyed driving it a lot, and letting the auto pilot drive it.The kids enjoyed the panoramic roof, the legroom in the back seat, and the acceleration. The boot was also more than big enough. Only problem was that the back seat was too narrow for our needs. We won't be able to comfortably fit all 3 kids in the back when our youngest one moves on to the next size child seat.

Had they made the back seat the same width as the Model S, I would have placed an order for a Y already!
Do you have seat time in the S? The back seat is certainly wider, but the middle seat has an odd curve and is extremely uncomfortable. Better to think of the car as a 4 seater

Reactions: drdumont
Do you have seat time in the S? The back seat is certainly wider, but the middle seat has an odd curve and is extremely uncomfortable. Better to think of the car as a 4 seater
I only need the middle seat to be wide, cause it needs to fit the current rearward facing child seat, and the future forward facing child seat, in-between the seat belt buckles (I think they're called) for the two side seats in the S.

And to clarify, I'm not thinking of buying a brand new S, but rather a 2017-2018, preferably with a gen. 4 back seat.

I've wanted to own a Tesla Model S...I could get a 2017-2018 Model S 75D with around 100 000 miles on it. But is it a good choice?...

Not sure if these will help, but here are a couple of posts (here #1 and here #2) with ideas about that perfect model-year and what accessories were cool to have. (Unfortunately, this is more day-dreaming than reality. But still...)

Reactions: FrodeN

That's the Model X in 5 seat or 7 seat. Had a 2019 X and the back seat is nice and flat (and wide). You can definitely get 3 car seats across.

I have a '17 MS100 that I believe falls into a sweet spot. I can't speak for Norway but in the USA I'd suggest a '17/'18 MS with good battery history if money restricts. Not a lot of issues on the 100kwh packs, plus with the expected degradation you still get good range. I am just over 300 real miles @ 100% with 90k miles. So bigger can be better in this genre.

Again for USA I'd look for:

1. MCU2 upgrade
  2. If FSD is on the wishlist. A. AP3 computer upgraded. B. Cameras upgraded C. FSD purchase (not subscription) - note, some are not transferable. D. Ensure Tesla never titled as they remove FSD. Most likely a private sale.
  3. Battery warranty is 10-year, check degradation and expect a 10% drop from new
  4. Extended warranties are available, i.e. X-Care, if surprise expensive repairs are not acceptable.
  5. I view the air suspension on the 100 as a plus.
  6. FUSC was available early on but I believe the transferable option was on earlier years.
  7. Still just over 3 seconds 0 to 60 on 100.
I recently test drove a new non-Highland M3, MY, and MS. In my opinion and after owning an MS, the M3/MY felt harsh and noisy. The new MS was comfortable and quiet but not more than my '17

Trade-in to Tesla in my car is $17k with retail TO A MOTIVATED BUYER is maybe $25k in the US, likely less. But that's still a lot of car for the money. And for the price difference between a better-warranties (newer cars) you can repair a LOT of expensive bits even at Tesla rates. Plus you can still do much yourself.

FYI - I'm sure many would disagree with me, especially on the potential for major repairs. But I'm comfortable with that risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leftlane22
But how's the reliability of the X? Especially the 2017/2018 models, after rolling a few thousand.
I have no experience (outside of service loaners) with 2017/2018 models. BUT given that loaner experience I can tell you the Raven refresh Model X (late 2019-late 2021) has a far better air suspension than the older vehicles if that matters to you.

I did have the fairly common front half-shaft vibrations but those were replaced under warranty with no questions asked. Charging performance was okay, but not nearly as good as the Palladium late 2021+. No other reliability issues of note.

PS at least in the pre-2022 vehicles you get to keep the ultrasonic sensors which, IMHO, are much better than "Tesla Vision" when parking a boat like the X, particularly because it can be difficult to see the edge of the front hood. And by difficult, I mean impossible - at least for me at 5'10". YMMV

PS not sure how the Tesla Used program works in your country, but in the US we get an extra year of warranty which was welcome when purchasing an older Tesla because it gives you some time to work through any issues on their dime. I've purchased two Tesla Used vehicles - a 2019 X Performance Ludicrous and 2021 S Plaid - and both have had minor things dealt with under warranty. Highly suggest buying from Tesla for this reason.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Xcelerate Auto is hosting an EV Shoppers Workshop, next Thursday, May 9th at 7pm Central Time.

Hosted by team XCare, we'll be sharing expertise gathered through over a decade in the Tesla/EV space. We'll help you navigate the sometimes confusing world of used EVs, and we'll even offer our recommendations of vehicles/models to buy (and some to avoid).

If you are currently shopping for an EV you will not want to miss this event.

Although there will be lots of info shared on Tesla (as they are the lion's share of currently available used EVs) the ideas, tips and info have broad application for any used EV purchase.

Audience participation is encouraged, so come with your best questions and join Milad Davoodi, KJ Gimbel, Brent Seavey, Cary Clark, Dayan Sosa and others in this fun, informative and interactive presentation.

Space is limited, so register now to ensure your spot!

Electrifying Choices: Workshop for EV Shoppers by Team XCare