Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installer recommends an electric garage heater. Is it necessary? I’m in the Chicago land area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
States it’s a “popular” item. Not sure if it’s recommended
IMG_2690.jpeg

I live in the northwestern corner of MA. In the winter, it's almost as cold here as in Chicago. I've had my M3 since September of 2020. I don't have a garage so it is always parked outside and I always charge it outside. There has never been a problem due to cold weather. If the car gets covered with snow and ice I just preheat it before leaving. Yes, a certain amount of charging energy is lost due to the cold but I'm sure you'll waste far more energy needlessly heating your garage than you will maintaining the charge in your car's battery on cold days. Don't get it!

Not required but sure is nice. We keep our garage at around 60f. Cars are always toasty during the cold winter months and the battery is also. If your garage is well insulated, why not? At least you have the option and you decide if you want it on or off. I have a 24 x 24 garage with 12' ceilings with only 2x 1000w base board heaters which works just fine. Not sure why they are quoting 7.5 and 10kw units unless there is no insulation.

Seeing all the negative answers here I guess it has a lot to do where you live. You cannot build a home here that does not have an insulated and heated garage complete with drain and water. let me reword that, you can but nobody would. Even a used home from way back would be difficult to find without. My dads home is 60+ years old and has all the features metioned above. Location, location, location.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
If the garage is only for your Tesla, then this just seems totally misguided. The Tesla has a heat pump in it already, a WAY more efficient heater than the electric heater being suggested. And if the Tesla is plugged in (the whole point) then you can run the Tesla heat pump whenever you need to. Adding a very inefficient electric heater to the garage makes no sense at all.

Obviously if the garage is going to have your home gym in it too...totally different story.

Late to the party but, yeah, not necessary.

My Chicago garage is unattached and unheated. I’ve had my Model 3 in there since 2018 and, at around 45k miles, still have roughly the original rated battery range thanks to being plugged in and set to maintain between 70% & 80% most nights.

My condo also has an attached garage with an electric heater but that’s there because it’s under one of the units and they’d have excessive heat bills if the garage was just an unregulated cold sink. It’s a trade off for the association because the garage is shared.

Basically, if heating your garage would benefit the rest of your home, it might be worth it but it’s no benefit to your car.

Couldn’t one just open the car windows and crank up the heat?
No. It uses a heat pump, which moves heat from outside the car into the car.
Net heating would be however much energy the heat pump uses itself. :D

$2.1k for electric heaters!?

You need to heat the car, not the garage! Better to use the built-in pre-conditioning of the battery off the plug, I expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: jankratochvil
I live in the northwestern corner of MA. In the winter, it's almost as cold here as in Chicago. I've had my M3 since September of 2020. I don't have a garage so it is always parked outside and I always charge it outside. There has never been a problem due to cold weather. If the car gets covered with snow and ice I just preheat it before leaving. Yes, a certain amount of charging energy is lost due to the cold but I'm sure you'll waste far more energy needlessly heating your garage than you will maintaining the charge in your car's battery on cold days. Don't get it!

Same here. Always parked outside. Never an issue

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and android04