Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland: position side mirrors further out to cover blindspot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a test drive this week, mix of amazing and frustrating at the same time.

One issue I can't get get over is not being able to extend mirrors out to cover blind spot (drivers and passenger side). First car I've every driven that doesn't have this adjustment. Even weirder is you can hyper extend mirrors inwards to apparently checkout your front door but not extend outwards to where mirrors should be set in my 30 years of driving experience. Curious if anyone has been able to adjust mirrors to point further outwards without resorting to after market concave mirrors. Sales guy said Tesla service had helped someone in the past to do something similar. And not interesting in blind spot LED lighting up on speaker, I'd like to see cars around me for spatial awareness not look at an LED to determine driving behaviour.

I agree, the side view mirrors are poor for viewing, but great looking from the outside.

You can set the side cameras to display on the center display when applying turn signals. There is also blind spot warning settings. Basically with the car's traffic visualization on the center display, the side mirrors are not needed for changing lanes on highways.

Reactions: PlanetExpress
Took a test drive this week, mix of amazing and frustrating at the same time.

One issue I can't get get over is not being able to extend mirrors out to cover blind spot (drivers and passenger side). First car I've every driven that doesn't have this adjustment. Even weirder is you can hyper extend mirrors inwards to apparently checkout your front door but not extend outwards to where mirrors should be set in my 30 years of driving experience. Curious if anyone has been able to adjust mirrors to point further outwards without resorting to after market concave mirrors. Sales guy said Tesla service had helped someone in the past to do something similar. And not interesting in blind spot LED lighting up on speaker, I'd like to see cars around me for spatial awareness not look at an LED to determine driving behaviour.
Same on my 2023, I've got them pegged and they still aren't wide enough. Half the drivers on the road think these mirrors should be looking at the car behind them anyway. I think the person who designed the mirrors is one of them and probably cuts people off when changing lanes. Nice thing is the blind spot cameras when you use the turn signals which will also turn the view red if a car is detected in your blindspot. My habit turned into signal, mirror, infotainment screen, go.

Reactions: ken_neth
Very helpful, wasn't aware of the blind spot camera when indicating setting during test drive. That said prefer to know blind spot is clear before using indicators.

Is it reliable to solely rely (in all conditions) on the animated car visualisation on screen to determine if there are any cars/motorcycles are in blind spot before changing lanes?

In this case sequence of events is look at rear view mirror, then visualisation animation for anything in blind spot, indicate, then change lanes. Any issue with this strategy?

I presume the combination of looking at rear view mirror + visualisation animation would cover all blind spots?

Just noticed the Highland speaker LED blind spot indicator seems to come earlier on approaching cars in adjacent lane then cars appearing in visualisation animation so unsure if this strategy is bulletproof.

Also what do you mean by "pegged" mirrors?

Last edited:
My 2021 is the same way. Mirrors are maxed out against the hard stops and I can still see my rear fender even though I am a very average height and seat position. You can get a little bit more angle by adjusting the tilt to find the sweet spot where it allows maximum outward angle. Clearly the intern who designed these mirrors was not familiar with cars, so when they announced that the Highland had "minor" changes to the side mirrors I assumed this was what they were fixing. But apparently not.

Very helpful, wasn't aware of the blind spot camera when indicating setting during test drive. That said prefer to know blind spot is clear before using indicators.

Is it reliable to solely rely (in all conditions) on the animated car visualisation on screen to determine if there are any cars/motorcycles are in blind spot before changing lanes?

In this case sequence of events is look at rear view mirror, then visualisation animation for anything in blind spot, indicate, then change lanes. Any issue with this strategy?
I assume that you use your turn signals, in which case, the camera shows the lane in the direction of the turn signal clearly. I recall that you need to turn that feature on. I would not trust the animation for lane changes. I sometimes glance at the side mirror for obvious traffic, but always rely on the camera display for the actual lane change. For me, the animation updates too slowly and does not show enough distance behind your car. Also, I wouldn't trust the animation to catch motorcycles.

I would not trust the animation for lane changes. I sometimes glance at the side mirror for obvious traffic, but always rely on the camera display for the actual lane change. For me, the animation updates too slowly and does not show enough distance behind your car. Also, I wouldn't trust the animation to catch motorcycles.
The animation also does not show enough behind in the next lane to show a rapidly overtaking vehicle (such as when you get stuck in a slow moving lane and want to change into the next lane moving significantly faster). The center mirror and/or the camera view that is activated by the turn signal can be significantly more informative in this respect. With the side mirror adjusted outward to cover the nearby blind spot, you can also move your head sideways to see a greater distance behind to check for rapidly overtaking traffic in the next lane.

Reactions: Adam3
Taking your eyes off the road to look down and refocus on a much closer screen image while changing lanes just isn't safe. Properly adjusted side mirrors let you have awareness of what's behind and beside you with your peripheral vision all of the time and directly without having to move your head or re-focus with just a quick eye movement, without losing your view of what's in front of you. Anything that forces you to look away from the road around you while driving is a bad idea.
The animation is pretty much useless, it doesn't pick up rapidly approaching vehicles until they are right on top of you and sometimes not then.

Reactions: E90alex