Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP!! 2023 MXP_7000MLIES_UI_a020 - Steering Assist Reduced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue but with a lot more other alerts. First time it happened it went away and I had no issues for a month. Happened again, and went away again, but made appt with service center. They looked into the logs and said I needed my steering column replaced. Pretty quick fix under warranty. Mine was a late 2023 build.

Reactions: X Fan
Got the car back tonight after we pushed for a preventative fix and they acquiesced. Supposedly there was nothing in the logs that indicated a defective part. Tesla initially were going to give us the car back without any changes. We discussed the history of steering rack swapouts that we've read about and they agreed to do it. Hopefully that's the source of the problem. No issues on the drive home 🤞

Thanks to everyone who posted about it.

Reactions: Milan Djabirov
Same issue and following worked for me:
1. Restart the car - no change
2. Restart again - no change
3. Get out of car, lock all door, unlock, get in - Worked!

***Don't know but I believe it’s the Bluetooth that is interfering, next time if ever it happens I am going to play with Bluetooth settings….

• Helpful
Reactions: nicedrum
Same issue and following worked for me:
1. Restart the car - no change
2. Restart again - no change
3. Get out of car, lock all door, unlock, get in - Worked!

***Don't know but I believe it’s the Bluetooth that is interfering, next time if ever it happens I am going to play with Bluetooth settings….

Please let us know if it happens to you again. That would be kind of crazy if it was just bluetooth causing a problem.

Ours has been good for the past two weeks after the steering rack replacement. Knocking on wood..

I had the same issue but with a lot more other alerts. First time it happened it went away and I had no issues for a month. Happened again, and went away again, but made appt with service center. They looked into the logs and said I needed my steering column replaced. Pretty quick fix under warranty. Mine was a late 2023 build.
I guess replacing the steering column didn’t work as it happened again today. Every time it has been while backing up and maybe shifting into d while the car is still rolling back. I get out of car lock and unlock and all the warnings go away. I’ll be bringing it back to Tesla to see what is going on.

I guess replacing the steering column didn’t work as it happened again today. Every time it has been while backing up and maybe shifting into d while the car is still rolling back. I get out of car lock and unlock and all the warnings go away. I’ll be bringing it back to Tesla to see what is going on.

I'd ask them to consider replace the steering rack as well. I believe that's different from the steering column. Though, our error came in the middle of a drive, not when backing up, so possibly a different issue.

Another poster somewhere (maybe a different thread) mentioned the wheel speed controller (which, perhaps is part of the steering rack?... I don't know these things that well).

Good luck!

Having the same issue with my 2018 Model 3 now. Got errors and no regen. My problem is that it's out of warranty and they said I needed to pay $3k for installing a brand-new steering rack. I've replaced one in my first car (8y/o at the time) but that cost like 650$. That's quite a difference, so asked them to reset the codes so I can drive home. Took it to another mechanic that couldn't reproduce the problem so I took it home. Worked for about a month. Today, when backing out of a spot, exactly when I turned the wheel all the way to the right side... Bam! Happened again. (both times caused by this) I tried a hard reset. Same errors.

I'm going to try the tow mode reset some mentioned and the Bluetooth one too. I'll report my findings back here.

Someone mentioned a sensor replacement. Did that work out?

I know going used isn't the best, but as long as there was no front-end damage from the donor car, I don't see why I can't get a used one. (They are like $300). Would be cheaper than a new rack at $2.3k. Problem is finding a mechanic that will do the work. All I've spoken to won't install used ones.

Hoping I'm not going to have to do a new replacement. 🤞

FWIW Anyone looking for a link to the documentation on a DIY can find it here: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

Seeing this late. I called tow and declared the car unsafe to operate. They towed it but the downside was they kept it for 9 days before looking at it. What fixed it on the spot before towing was putting the car in tow mode! Go figure. The end result was that it was assessed to need a steering rack replacement. 1700 miles later no issues.
So it cost me $900 to replace the steering rack. Lots of issues reported to NHSTA about power steering failures.